Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 04:05 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbre.us/research-and-rep...h-America-2021

This was in another thread. Haven't read it fully, but pretty interesting look at where Chicago stands in relation to other cities in "tech talent" production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 09:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,192 times
It's surprisingly weak in Chicago. Poor leadership (Lightfoot is completely absent whereas Rahm was incredibly proactive), a lack of university collaborations, and some stigmas/perceptions aren't helping.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
It's surprisingly weak in Chicago. Poor leadership (Lightfoot is completely absent whereas Rahm was incredibly proactive), a lack of university collaborations, and some stigmas/perceptions aren't helping.
I swear, some politicians think there's a magic money tree to pay for all the social programs! Not that programs aren't needed, you just need balance; i.e. a good supply of persons to pay for them.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:09 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,169,823 times
Google, Facebook, Amazon, have all opened IT hubs in Chicago in recent years, I think this says it all.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Google, Facebook, Amazon, have all opened IT hubs in Chicago in recent years, I think this says it all.
Does this say it all? If so, why is Chicago never really in the discussion when it comes to tech?

Old 07-22-2021, 04:55 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Since when is a satellite office or “hub” something to brag about. Especially in Chicago. I’d be impressed if they relocated their corporate headquarters to Chicago. I mean Amazon skipped over Chicago for their 2nd headquarters. But a hub?! That does say it all. It says Chicago isn’t good enough for big tech jobs and corporations.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:27 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,361,161 times
Quote:
Define "Hub" vs. a satellite office? In Austin, Google has a 37 story office building. To me, that's a hub. Amazon is opening a 5,000 staff campus in Nashville. That's a Hub.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,410,535 times
https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...siness-chicago

Here's an interesting article about tech startups in Chicago. I think Chicago has lots of potential to become a tech hub in the future, especially compared to how cheap it is to live there compared to places like Seattle, SF, NYC and LA. It's the biggest/cheapest city, which is attractive for startups... the foundation of having a good "tech" scene.

I think the smaller, cheaper/low tax cities will always be attractive for tech jobs, because tech jobs can exist pretty much anywhere. More and more tech workers are choosing to live flexibly and where they want to go, as most tech jobs nowadays are remote. That causes many to prefer smaller, less hectic and cheaper cities. However for those wanting to live in a big city, I see Chicago is as a great place for those people. And it also helps the West Loop has been, and continues to develop into a major "tech" area of the city.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...siness-chicago

Here's an interesting article about tech startups in Chicago. I think Chicago has lots of potential to become a tech hub in the future, especially compared to how cheap it is to live there compared to places like Seattle, SF, NYC and LA. It's the biggest/cheapest city, which is attractive for startups... the foundation of having a good "tech" scene.

I think the smaller, cheaper/low tax cities will always be attractive for tech jobs, because tech jobs can exist pretty much anywhere. More and more tech workers are choosing to live flexibly and where they want to go, as most tech jobs nowadays are remote. That causes many to prefer smaller, less hectic and cheaper cities. However for those wanting to live in a big city, I see Chicago is as a great place for those people. And it also helps the West Loop has been, and continues to develop into a major "tech" area of the city.
I hope you’re right. It seems like I’ve heard about Chicago starting to become more of a player in the tech industry for years now, and it doesn’t seem it’s come to fruition yet. So I will remain cautiously optimistic, although not super hopeful. Apparently University of Chicago has done a lot of work around 5G tech, and Chicago is pretty involved in the data warehouse scene, so maybe there are inroads starting to form. I personally think it will be at least another decade until we would potentially see the results of Chicago becoming a player (assuming everything goes right).

Old 07-24-2021, 07:04 PM

553 posts, read 410,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I hope you’re right. It seems like I’ve heard about Chicago starting to become more of a player in the tech industry for years now, and it doesn’t seem it’s come to fruition yet. So I will remain cautiously optimistic, although not super hopeful. Apparently University of Chicago has done a lot of work around 5G tech, and Chicago is pretty involved in the data warehouse scene, so maybe there are inroads starting to form. I personally think it will be at least another decade until we would potentially see the results of Chicago becoming a player (assuming everything goes right).
Chicago has more 'unicorns' in 2021 (9) than Boston, Seattle and L.A. (5)

New York has 11 in 2021 for comparison.

VC funding in 2020 was a record year for Chicago and in 2021 a new all-time high was set within the first quarter.

Pitchbook has Chicago leading the nation for "best tech investor ROI." Chicago led in this category for 8 consecutive years by the way.

32 companies have moved their headquarters to Chicago in the pandemic including tech, life-sciences and logistics companies.

The University of Chicago is at the forefront of Quantum Engineering, having the only School of Molecular Engineering in the nation and partnerships with Northwestern, University of Illinois (Champaign) UIC, Argonne/Fermi-Lab, the U.S. Dept. of Energy and the state of Illinois. A physical $250M building will be built on campus.

They are making frequent breakthroughs with quantum networks, materials science, quantum computing/encryption, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago