U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:57 PM

4,019 posts, read 2,303,655 times

Advertisements

I know there are a lot of residential high rises around the loop and south loop, but I don’t know anyone who actually lives there or even talks about living there. Everyone either wants to live in the west loop or everywhere north of downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,105,961 times
I dont, but have several friends that reside north and south. They all love where they're at.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 PM

2,489 posts, read 1,849,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I know there are a lot of residential high rises around the loop and south loop, but I don’t know anyone who actually lives there or even talks about living there. Everyone either wants to live in the west loop or everywhere north of downtown.
Within a half mile radius of State and Washington, there's approximately 5,500 residents, with a median age of 32.6 and median income of approx. $95k. 37% of the population is between 25 and 34. Approximately 61% have never been married. Approx. 60% are 1-person households.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:23 PM

1,749 posts, read 2,356,604 times
I'm in the South Loop at the Fairbanks Lofts. I'm very happy living here.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:23 PM

8,476 posts, read 4,717,031 times
Lots of doctors, lawyers, bankers, consultants, and faculty members.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:37 PM

4,620 posts, read 7,714,807 times
Among the people I personal know or know of who live in the Loop or the South Loop, there is definitely a trend toward academics affiliated with UIC, Roosevelt, Columbia, IIT, etc. Because of the proximity to the Medical District, there are also quite a few medical residents, and the South Loop in general has a higher-than-average number of people of East Asian descent, partially because of the proximity to Chinatown, but also because stereotypically people from Asia have a strong preference for new highrise construction or, if they have families, for townhome living. Both of those housing styles are strongly represented in the South Loop.

I also am acquainted with several classical musicians (a couple in the CSO, one in the Lyric Opera Orchestra, a couple more who sub for regulars in a number of professional orchestra type places) who live in the Loop or South Loop.

And then there is a huge student population in the Loop and South Loop, too. Not just undergrads at Roosevelt or Columbia, but also graduate students at Roosevelt or one of the downtown professional programs (there are more than one law and business professional degree programs based in or near the Loop). You get students borrowing a ton of money to live with four roommates near Roosevelt or Columbia for undergrads, or in the joint University housing there at State and Congress, but also law students living on borrowed money in tiny studios that afford them privacy for studying. And then you get some of the ultra-rich Asian students whose parents buy them huge highrise condos and all the luxury items that go along with that lifestyle. That's a minority of who lives there, but it is a real part of the population.

One other segment are consultants who are rarely in town but want to live in the center of the City often pick places in the Loop or South Loop for easy access to trains to the airports. Or longer-term contract employees who've been "on-shored" from Indian or Chinese consulting companies working for American firms. I've worked with many dozens of South Asian contractors in my career and 95% of the childless ones live in the greater Loop area, with the other 5% being somewhere on the North Side like Lakeview, and 90% of the South Asian workers with children living in Naperville, with the other 10% living somewhere in the Lincolnwood or Skokie type areas. For East Asian immigrant coworkers, many live in the South Loop if they're childless, and then move in the Bridgeport when they have kids. Or a few will move to the suburbs, in places like Arlington Heights.

Then in the "affordable" housing market segments, you get some Section 8 people, but then it's also not unusual to see teachers taking advantage of below-market residences that they qualify for, and hear about because many people who work for the City often "know someone" who can tip them off when there's availability or even go so far as having friends who hold units for them. It's a little shady, and the connections-driven things they do these days aren't nearly as shady as stuff workers could get away with 20-30 years ago - believe it or not the City is at least somewhat less corrupt than it has been in the past.

So, basically, if you don't have social circles that extend into academia, professional artists (visual and performance), medicine, or connected City workers, you may not know a lot of people living in the Loop and South Loop. A few childless partner-track associate lawyers live in the Loop or South Loop, but nearly every other type of professional in Chicago will scatter across the North Side, the North Shore, or the western suburbs, depending on their preference and whether they have kids. And the lawyers who make partner almost always move to the North Shore if they have kids. There are exceptions, but that's the stereotypical area for them to move.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 PM

779 posts, read 444,056 times
I live just to the west/southwest of the West Loop and Greektown. I use the L (Pink and Green lines) to travel to downtown. I have noticed a fair number of adults, who board these lines at the L stations( Ashland, Morgan, or Clinton) and have young children with them. So, I'm presuming that there are a fair number of households in the West Loop with at least 1 child.

Of course, the major variable is the choice that these parents have to make when their children reach school age. Seek out the selective enrollment CPS sites? Private schools? Move to another city neighborhood? Or move to the suburbs?

Old 01-17-2019, 09:20 AM

1,080 posts, read 744,488 times
I've known a ton of people who have lived in South Loop, especially in the past decade or so. I've known very few people who live in the actual Loop, though the numbers would show that there are many. I've always wondered if maybe they are workaholic types who just want a short walk from work to home and don't really interact with people apart from that (other than maybe happy hour spots in the Loop? Just a guess.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 AM

8,476 posts, read 4,717,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
I've known a ton of people who have lived in South Loop, especially in the past decade or so. I've known very few people who live in the actual Loop, though the numbers would show that there are many. I've always wondered if maybe they are workaholic types who just want a short walk from work to home and don't really interact with people apart from that (other than maybe happy hour spots in the Loop? Just a guess.
This has been my experience. Everyone I know who lives in the Loop-proper falls into the category of physician, lawyer, consultant, or banker (I banker/private equity). Well paid, long hours, tend to like more convenient modern, pre-customized housing rather than living in neighborhoods with more "character," which tend to have older housing and are a little farther out. This is a broad generalization, but is my experience from who I know living in the loop. Additionally, many of the people I know living in the Loop never take the CTA. They either walk or drive.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:15 PM

504 posts, read 421,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This has been my experience. Everyone I know who lives in the Loop-proper falls into the category of physician, lawyer, consultant, or banker (I banker/private equity). Well paid, long hours, tend to like more convenient modern, pre-customized housing rather than living in neighborhoods with more "character," which tend to have older housing and are a little farther out. This is a broad generalization, but is my experience from who I know living in the loop. Additionally, many of the people I know living in the Loop never take the CTA. They either walk or drive.
I think they partly don't want to spend 20-30 minutes commuting on the L and would rather just walk to work. At least that was the case for the few Loop livers I knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago