Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:22 PM

23 posts, read 24,778 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm 22 and currently living in the UK in england and thinking about moving to Chicago.
I have heard a lot of different opinions of the place but it has always been my dream to move to a big city like chicago but i know that there everywhere in America there is a lot of crime. Does anyone have any advise of a crime free or a safe area in chicago as ill be living on my own so would like to be safe i have heard that hyde park is a good area but please do feel free to recommend places unless theres no place that is safe in chicago.
Thank you
xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
There's many lower crime areas in Chicago. It would be absolutely frivolous to think that in a city of almost 3 million people, with a versatile economy that no area would be safe.

Where you live, just like the UK, depends on what you can afford. Not all low income areas are dangerous, but there are many that are. However many of the non low income places are not. What do you think your budget for renting an apartment/flat/whatever would be per month in USD?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
I'd go so far as to say that most of Chicago is safe. On average, living in the good parts of Chicago is about 10% less expensive than cities like Birmingham or Manchester, and about 30% less expensive than London. You could save even more living in less good parts. The truly dangerous parts of Chicago are unlikely to appeal to you for reasons other than safety, too, so the chances of you "accidentally" landing in one is pretty low.

The reality is that the level of crime in the U.S. in general is not usually as terrible as it sounds in the international press, and there are plenty of people (such as myself) who never see or experience crime. I've lived in Chicago for most of the past 20 years and never witnessed a violent crime, I've never been mugged, I've never been burglarized. Of course these things do happen, but if you're under the impression that crime is rampant, then you have the wrong impression. You can move to Chicago and have a pretty decent chance of not experiencing any crime. The only crime that ever impacted me was a drunk guy attempting (but failing) to break the windows on my partner's car with a brick.

The thing about crime stats in the U.S. is that they are inflated by the way the U.S. handles drug laws, both directly by resulting in more arrests, and indirectly by the enforcement driving up the competition and leading to harder crime between rival drug gangs. But that activity mostly happens away from areas most European immigrants are likely to end up living. There's also a cultural difference. I get the impression in much of Europe that a bar fight has to get really out of hand before the police arrest people whereas in the U.S. the tolerance for that is lower. I've never seen a bar fight in the U.S., but every trip I've had to Europe I've seen bar fights or fights in the street - I just don't see that here even though I live in the kind of touristy part of Chicago comparable to the touristy parts of European cities I've been to.

So, yeah, are there more murders in Chicago than in London? Yes. Is that likely to impact you? No, it's not, and general crime, too, you're unlikely to experience here in most of the areas that will show up in guidebooks or online forums as you search for where to live.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma hamid View Post
Hey guys I'm 22 and currently living in the UK in england and thinking about moving to Chicago.
I have heard a lot of different opinions of the place but it has always been my dream to move to a big city like chicago but i know that there everywhere in America there is a lot of crime. Does anyone have any advise of a crime free or a safe area in chicago as ill be living on my own so would like to be safe i have heard that hyde park is a good area but please do feel free to recommend places unless theres no place that is safe in chicago.
Thank you
xx
1) Why are you moving across the pond and why did you choose Chicago? School? Work? Just because?
2) No area in Chicago, or any city anywhere for that matter, is crime free. Of course, in many areas, you'll be far less likely to fall victim to certain crimes like gun violence. Sadly, even nice areas like Lakeview and Lincoln Park, which are always recommended to newcomers, may have issues with property crimes and assault. You will need a certain level of street smarts to live in any city.
3) What is your budget? I don't want to assume you can afford Chicago just b/c you're in the UK, but chances are, you can, depending on what sort of amenities you're looking for in an apartment and neighborhood.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM

I am okay for money I'm actually thinking of buying an apartment which is why i need advise all i need is some place at least a little safe. Money is not the matter i just would like to know what areas have low crime because I would like to a little safe if not a lot as i am a single female and 22. I know Chicago is a big state and i expect there to be a lot of crimes but I'm sure there must be nice areas. I am moving because i will be working there. Thank you so much for your replies though i really do appreciate it. If i could perhaps have a few names of some cities that have low crimes rates would be great. Thank you again

Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 PM

Which part of Chicago would you guys recommend...? hyde park?

Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Where will you be working? How much of a commute can you tolerate? Will you have a car?

Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
What do you want in a neighborhood other than safety? Also what part of the city will you be working in?

P.S. You don't buy apartments here - you rent them out. You purchase homes and condominiums.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-30-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,990 times
Quote:
I am okay for money I'm actually thinking of buying an apartment which is why i need advise all i need is some place at least a little safe. Money is not the matter i just would like to know what areas have low crime because I would like to a little safe if not a lot as i am a single female and 22. I know Chicago is a big state and i expect there to be a lot of crimes but I'm sure there must be nice areas. I am moving because i will be working there. Thank you so much for your replies though i really do appreciate it. If i could perhaps have a few names of some cities that have low crimes rates would be great. Thank you again
Ok, I think we have some terminology problems here. People typically don't buy apartments here unless you mean purchase the building. You probably mean looking to rent an apartment for some time period.

Chicago is an city, not an state. The city of Chicago is located in Cook County which in in the state of Illinois.

I think given that you are moving here for work, you are looking to rent an apartment somewhere near where you will be working that is safe. This assumes that you want to live in the city itself or some burbs. In order to get an idea of where to point you, we kinda need to know the area in which you are working.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Here's a sobering thought: the annual murder rate in Chicago is about 15 per 100,000. The murder rate for non-Hispanic whites is about 1 per 100,000.

Stay out of the drug trade and stay out of the neighborhoods where the drug trade is openly and notoriously conducted and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: