Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,148,324 times

Advertisements

-Frostbite
-Burst pipes in their homes.
-Some electronic garage door openers have issues if it's too cold.
-If there was any water buildup around the garage door that turned to ice, it can jam the door when attempting to open it.

Frostbite is easily preventable by avoiding extensive exposure, yet people are still going to the burn unit at hospitals to have it dealt with.

You can try to prevent burst pipes by opening the cabinets, running the dishwasher, running hot water, etc, but if that information isn't shared, people won't know to do it. I know someone that took the listed precautions and still ended up with a frozen pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,333,259 times
Gore-tex and schnapps

Old 01-30-2019, 10:21 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,189,712 times
-Dress in layers.
-Keep scarf over mouth, nose and neck.
-Keep hat pulled over forehead.
-Wear ski goggles.
-Bought hand and foot warmers.
-Started car, 3/4 full tank of gas.
-Bought groceries.
-Don't go out if not necessary.
-Move quick, get to your destination.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Gore-tex and schnapps
LOL

I just skip right to the whiskey

Old 01-31-2019, 12:38 AM

910 posts, read 2,316,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I ran errands today. I stopped at a café, and then I went to the pharmacy, grocery store, picked up takeout for family, and stopped at a park. I am going back out to do some bowling. I don't understand why people are so freaked out. A blizzard is much more inconvenient.
Blizzard my come Thursday, lol, or at least some snow, as it starts to "warm" up.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:30 AM

565 posts, read 778,783 times
I think it comes down to what you're used to.
If you're in AK or the UP of MI, then yes, way below zero temps are par for the course.
We moved from Chicago to Phoenix in '73. On one hand, in Chicago you can get frostbite within minutes and freeze to death outside overnight, but these cold snaps pass. Where we live, the heat last for month after month. Wears you down. Even with the a/c on in my house, i still can't get it under 82 when it's really hot outside. Plus, we're in a heat island now, so during the worst of it, the overnight temps may not even drop to 90. Miserable.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:54 AM

1,022 posts, read 764,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
I think it comes down to what you're used to.
If you're in AK or the UP of MI, then yes, way below zero temps are par for the course.
We moved from Chicago to Phoenix in '73. On one hand, in Chicago you can get frostbite within minutes and freeze to death outside overnight, but these cold snaps pass. Where we live, the heat last for month after month. Wears you down. Even with the a/c on in my house, i still can't get it under 82 when it's really hot outside. Plus, we're in a heat island now, so during the worst of it, the overnight temps may not even drop to 90. Miserable.
Please just thinking of those hot temps makes me cringe as we will have to deal with that hot crap before we know it already!

Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I ran errands today. I stopped at a café, and then I went to the pharmacy, grocery store, picked up takeout for family, and stopped at a park. I am going back out to do some bowling. I don't understand why people are so freaked out. A blizzard is much more inconvenient.
Same, took the kids to an event, went out to lunch and bought some groceries yesterday.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:09 PM

1,080 posts, read 826,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I wonder how the folks that live further North survive these temperatures every year ? Do not believe that a -50 wind chill is anywhere near what -50 air temperature feels like. The hype that these local weather people are pushing is ridiculous.
I've noticed this too-- It seems that each year there is more and more conflation of temperature with wind chill among the general public, and some of the less scrupulous media outlets seem to be contributing to this.

Don't get me wrong, it's still extremely cold, but that's all the more reason that we shouldn't need to exaggerate it. When we talk about the temperature, let's use the temperature. When we talk about the windchill, let's use the windchill. There's no reason to say the temperature is reaching -50 when we really mean the windchill is reaching -50 and the actual temperature is -20. The reality is cold enough-- just report the facts, please.

Last edited by SkylarkPhotoBooth; 01-31-2019 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 02:45 PM

4,498 posts, read 4,998,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarkphotobooth View Post
i've noticed this too-- it seems that each year there is more and more conflation of temperature with wind chill among the general public, and some of the less scrupulous media outlets seem to be contributing to this.

Don't get me wrong, it's still extremely cold, but that's all the more reason that we shouldn't need to exaggerate it. When we talk about the temperature, let's use the temperature. When we talk about the windchill, let's use the windchill. There's no reason to say the temperature is reaching -50 when we really mean the windchill is reaching -50 and the actual temperature is -20. The reality is cold enough-- just report the facts, please.

bingo!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago