Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 11:43 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Today I'm visiting Canaryville. A coworker of mine is from here, and remarks how there is not much to see here.... He is correct Coming from Milwaukee, I usually don't go further than, say, 35th Street. But I'm always up for learning about other areas of Chicago...So Canaryville: A bit reading in their library, which I was told is one of the smallest in the city. Now sitting down for a pizza puff in Pizza Nova. I'll check out the Italian deli, Soluri Brothers across the street. Then, a drink at Kelly's, which I heard was one of the oldest taverns in the area. Anyone pro or con Canaryville? Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 12:35 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Canaryville is like Bridgeport, but without the amenities. I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:06 PM

lepoisson, well I agree. I thought it might be a good place to raise children since there's no outside traffic, except for an explorer like me, perhaps! . I went into Kelly's Bar. I don't look like the regulars ( I'm Mexican- Croatian). But the bartender was friendly. He welcomed me with a handshake, called me Buddy, and gave me some Kelly's Bar pens as a momento. A couple of the patrons had some harsh words for describing African-Americans, unfortunately... I decided to drive further south to take pictures of Al Capone's house on 72nd and Prairie. Wow, that house has fallen into bad shape since I last saw it! It's for sale and the garage was in shambles. It's sad to see how neighborhoods and houses can change. P.S. I'm at Gio's in Bridgeport now. Nice place!!!! Headed to Chinatown soon. Take care!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 03-30-2019, 01:18 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Canaryville had the reputation for insularity or hostility to outsiders. It was known to be a working class Irish American neighborhood. There is now a fair number of Hispanics, mostly Mexicans, in CVille. The residential side streets just east of Halsted (Emerald and Union) experienced new home construction within the past 25-30 years. Many of these newer structures are occupied by Chinese, who have moved south from Chinatown.

I can recommend a bakery/café/patisserie in CVille. It's a branch of Bake For Me and is located at 4305 S. Halsted. There is an outdoor seating area. This location is open for breakfast and lunch only. I believe that it's closed on Sun.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:20 PM

381 posts, read 348,871 times
It's a good neighborhood if you wish to be a bit isolated within the city.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:25 PM

I drove around and saw a couple of huge beautiful new looking homes! But man, you go east of that bridge and the ethnicity and home structure changes immensely! It's interesting how Pizza Nova there, and Gio's here in Bridgeport are Itakian, yet all the staff are Mexican! ... Well, I like to say different ethnicities work well together! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 03-31-2019, 06:35 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
lepoisson, well I agree. I thought it might be a good place to raise children since there's no outside traffic, except for an explorer like me, perhaps! . I went into Kelly's Bar. I don't look like the regulars ( I'm Mexican- Croatian). But the bartender was friendly. He welcomed me with a handshake, called me Buddy, and gave me some Kelly's Bar pens as a momento. A couple of the patrons had some harsh words for describing African-Americans, unfortunately... I decided to drive further south to take pictures of Al Capone's house on 72nd and Prairie. Wow, that house has fallen into bad shape since I last saw it! It's for sale and the garage was in shambles. It's sad to see how neighborhoods and houses can change. P.S. I'm at Gio's in Bridgeport now. Nice place!!!! Headed to Chinatown soon. Take care!- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Next time you should keep going down to 75th if you haven't already. Some good places to eat down there.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:34 AM

VA All Day, wow, that's going even FURTHER south!!! I went into Bruna's yesterday on 24th and Oakley, and a couple from Pullman recommended I come down there to see the homes!... Another area that was not TOO far from Canaryville, that I should really explore, is Hyde Park... I ended up making some new friends at Ignotz's, across the street from Bruna's, to finish my visit. I did NOT want to leave, but here I am at work, swamped already (with just enough time to post here! Have a great Sunday, all!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 03-31-2019, 08:35 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
not sure how i feel about hyde park. on the one hand, you can get some dope views of the skyline from walking along the shore. there's also powell's, which imo is one of the better bookstores in the city. that being said, it's always seemed weirdly insular as well as a little elitist. somewhat evokes the feeling of being in charlottesville, va for me. not to mention if you live up north without a car, the 6 seems to be the only way in or out.

back to canaryville...never been but get off the red every now and then to go down 47th and 43rd for bbq at uncle j's and honey 1 (both takeout only). also on 47th is what i believe is the only uncle remus location not on the west side..definitely worth a try if you like fried chicken.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:43 AM

VA All Day, There used to be a Powell's by Maxwell Street, and I was sad to see it close. There's plenty of south side I'm going to need to explore Canaryville was a one-and-done explore trip, me thinks.- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago