Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Thanks, definitely looking at a water boat tour too.
Just noting some to most boat tours arrived only. Some are both river and into Lake Michigan for the skyline views. Will be cooler on the lake so prepare. Weekends are busiest. I'd suggest buying your ticket a day in advance if a weekend or the lake/river cruise.

Navy pier also offers them by its entrance and along the pier. Most will lake only some both. Only one is called the Architectural tour. But most have still announcers who give histories f buildings and relevance too. I also prefer morning tours. Weekends will be most active on the lake with yachts and other forms. In warmer weather of course.

The River walk is a nice walk in itself locals and tourist take in and boat tours offered to renting a kayak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:56 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
1. Andersonville day. A meal at Hamburger Mary's. Visit some of the local shops, art galleries, resale/antique, women and children's bookstore, and get a drink at Marty's. If the weather is decent enough, go down to Foster beach (about a mile or so east), buy some provisions from the nearby Marianos, and picnic there. And to cap it all off, catch a show at Neo Futurist on Ashland.
I'd skip Hamburger Mary's solely because it isn't unique to Chicago (the original is in either LA or SF, I forget). I'd suggest lunch at Calo instead for some of the best Italian in the city including tavern-style pizza.

For dinner (it's only open then) i'd suggest Jin Ju, at least for the wings. Portion is a little smaller and a little more expensive than Great Sea but blows em away imo for best "Asian" wings in the city.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:17 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Great how you broke this down...Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
1. Andersonville day. A meal at Hamburger Mary's. Visit some of the local shops, art galleries, resale/antique, women and children's bookstore, and get a drink at Marty's. If the weather is decent enough, go down to Foster beach (about a mile or so east), buy some provisions from the nearby Marianos, and picnic there. And to cap it all off, catch a show at Neo Futurist on Ashland.

2. Hyde Park day. Walk around the shops at 53rd (do you smoke? 53rd cigars has a $15 minimum to access the lounge). Have a midday meal at Valois (better bring cash). Visit Powells Books, 57th Street books, and the Seminary/Coop bookstore. Walk all over the university. Head over to the Oriental Institute and Smart Art museum. A bit of a ripf off, but the Robie house is worth a visit. Head down to the Promontory and catch a show with a nightcap.

3. Little Village/Pilsen/Heart of Italy day. Walk along the shops/restaurants/pubs on 18th, the art galleries on Halsted, see the murals on 16th. Visit the Lagunitas Brewery by 19th and California. Head to one of the old school Italian restaurants on Oakley and the 20s.

4. North Park/Albany Park/Lincoln Square day. Go to the forest reserve in North Park, walk around the large park/cemeteries south of Bryn Marr. Get a mega meal at Noon o Kabob in Albany Park. Walk along Lawrence until you get to the Cambodian museum and visit. Head to Lincoln Square, visit the cute shops, the bookstore, and eventually catch a show at the ReadY theater on Western/Lawrence.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Is this the Chicago Architecture Foundation Center River Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Just noting some to most boat tours arrived only. Some are both river and into Lake Michigan for the skyline views. Will be cooler on the lake so prepare. Weekends are busiest. I'd suggest buying your ticket a day in advance if a weekend or the lake/river cruise.

Navy pier also offers them by its entrance and along the pier. Most will lake only some both. Only one is called the Architectural tour. But most have still announcers who give histories f buildings and relevance too. I also prefer morning tours. Weekends will be most active on the lake with yachts and other forms. In warmer weather of course.

The River walk is a nice walk in itself locals and tourist take in and boat tours offered to renting a kayak.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:31 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Apologies and condolences to anyone who came here this weekend expecting to take in a Cubs game this Sunday.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
movin2Reston, so far does anything stick out for you? Everyone has offered EXCELLENT ideas. You would maybe need a good month or so to do it all, if you're just visiting! The beauty is, you could do a handful of all these suggestions and I think you'd both be very happy AND want to come back! Sincerely- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 04-15-2019, 05:47 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Definitely too much to cover in one short visit. We recently brought some of my wife's fam out from MD who came to the city for the first time and they already want to come back.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Great how you broke this down...Thanks!

Has anyone mentioned HopLeaf in Andersonville? It's an institution. Belgian beers, outdoor dining/beer garden, good food...

Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Good point about Mary’s as I visited this one when I was in San Diego recently.

I will check out Calo. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
I'd skip Hamburger Mary's solely because it isn't unique to Chicago (the original is in either LA or SF, I forget). I'd suggest lunch at Calo instead for some of the best Italian in the city including tavern-style pizza.

For dinner (it's only open then) i'd suggest Jin Ju, at least for the wings. Portion is a little smaller and a little more expensive than Great Sea but blows em away imo for best "Asian" wings in the city.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:39 PM

i was looking at the forecast yesterday and believe it was in the upper 20s and low 30s.

Looked at the long range forecast and for May 15 and 16 it’s showing up for 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Apologies and condolences to anyone who came here this weekend expecting to take in a Cubs game this Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago