U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 03:25 AM

5,594 posts, read 2,561,190 times

Advertisements

I think it has. I used to travel quite a bit too. There's something strange that happens when I land in ORD. My stride lengthens and my pace increases as my family clamors to keep up. I buzz through the twisting corridors, and as I come to the baggage claim area, the old pang for a cigarette hits as Rhapsody in Blue pops into my mind. Still I go through the doors and emerge into that humid, half choked dead air and that smell, though not sharp and clear like other places, immediately tells me I'm home. There's a sense of peace, and then the ready dash into what is to become the day.

Still, the city changes so much. Sometimes I fear I'm longing for a ghost city...one that no longer exists, but feels so achingly close.

The Bay Area became home, but the place could makeover itself and I wouldn't miss much. I still feel stupid decorating a palm tree for Christmas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 07:42 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,578,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I think it has. I used to travel quite a bit too. There's something strange that happens when I land in ORD. My stride lengthens and my pace increases as my family clamors to keep up. I buzz through the twisting corridors, and as I come to the baggage claim area, the old pang for a cigarette hits as Rhapsody in Blue pops into my mind. Still I go through the doors and emerge into that humid, half choked dead air and that smell, though not sharp and clear like other places, immediately tells me I'm home. There's a sense of peace, and then the ready dash into what is to become the day.

Still, the city changes so much. Sometimes I fear I'm longing for a ghost city...one that no longer exists, but feels so achingly close.

The Bay Area became home, but the place could makeover itself and I wouldn't miss much. I still feel stupid decorating a palm tree for Christmas.
No, the 1980s are still here.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 840,787 times
I just went to Miami for a few days of vacation. The city impressed me. The skyline/downtown was larger than I expected, like, quite formidable. Interesting neighborhoods, and of course, the beach. I can see why it's so expensive. Of course, it was late March, and the weather was divine. Likely not the case in May-September. But overall, I was very impressed with Miami.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:33 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 10 days ago)

8,157 posts, read 7,060,962 times
Actually, i live here in Chicago because my job and family are here. However, whenever i make a road trip up to Michigan, I am in love with that area. Just the other side of the lake in Southwestern Michigan. I would live there permanently if my family was not here.

Amazing when you go over to the other side of the lake, how different it is. And less expensive.

But while I'm here, I think Chicago is pretty decent, but i live in a good area, im not exposed to much junk here, (crime, bad neighbors etc); it has every store and restaurant that i need. the weather is good (we dont get the ravages of hurricanes, mud slides, which devastate an area, so we are pretty lucky/blessed for the weather we have (the worst is snow i guess but it does not devastate you like a hurricane can).

So, its decent enough for me and im doing well here. But i would go to Michigan in a minute if my family went with me and my job! The only thing that bugs me is driving thru the traffic when it gets congested, and even i am surprised that the expressways have rush hour traffic even on the weekends. you never can tell when you are gonna get stuck in traffic. it takes me so long to get from downtown to like Harlem and Irving. Fortunately i have found a few ways to beat the traffic somewhat, but its still very annoying.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 PM

4,568 posts, read 7,122,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
A small town in coastal NC. Husband hates winter so here we are with heat, humidity, hurricanes, very little retail, not much culture or entertainment. At least our kids went to schools up north. I sound awful about it but I miss northern Illinois terribly.
If I was going to live near the South Atlantic coast, I think it'd have to be Charleston.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:16 AM

190 posts, read 117,747 times
Yes, though I'm not a native. I've been here since 2003.

My children are Chicago born and bred. We just returned from a trip to Denver a few days ago and they were less than impressed. Though the mountains in CO are beautiful, we were ready to come back to urban life.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:22 PM

833 posts, read 346,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
If I was going to live near the South Atlantic coast, I think it'd have to be Charleston.
Although Charleston was hard hit by Hugo, just south of there down to Jacksonville, FL, that coastal area rarely gets hurricanes.

Charleston has culture, great restaurants, shopping, it’s an awesome city.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:09 PM

3,904 posts, read 6,272,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I just went to Miami for a few days of vacation. The city impressed me. The skyline/downtown was larger than I expected, like, quite formidable. Interesting neighborhoods, and of course, the beach. I can see why it's so expensive. Of course, it was late March, and the weather was divine. Likely not the case in May-September. But overall, I was very impressed with Miami.
Does Miami have walkable neighborhoods and/or decent public transit? Just wondering as I've never been there.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:46 PM

1,207 posts, read 840,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Does Miami have walkable neighborhoods and/or decent public transit? Just wondering as I've never been there.
Walkable neighborhoods - Wynwood was walkable and very cool. Not really sure about public transit. We were only there 3 days and stayed in Miami Beach.

We also went to Little Havana on Calle Ocho. That was fun, but it's just a small stretch. Didn't explore the neighborhood.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:48 PM

1,825 posts, read 933,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
It has some walkable neighborhoods and public transportation, but neither is top tier. Within the city of Miami Brickell, Downtown, Coconut Grove, Midtown/Edgewater, Design District, Little Havana, and Wynwood are all very walkable in their own way. Outside of the city proper Miami Beach is probably the most walkable out of any place in the metro, and Coral Gables, while walkable downtown the rest of it isn't as walkable, but it has a vibrant downtown.

I would say Miami is more like LA in it's urban form. You have neighborhoods and the "centers" of the neighborhood are pretty walkable.

NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, SF, Philly are much much much much more walkable than Miami, by a lot. But Miami is a lot more walkable than places like Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Tampa, San Diego. I would say it's sort of in the range of Denver, Los Angeles in walkablity.

However, it's getting a lot denser and more walkable. Funny thing is it's one of the most dense cities in the US, the problem is while it's pretty darn dense, it's not really designed to be a pedestrian city, but is becoming that more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago