Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the post Mamama Mia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
You're so welcome!

Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
From the City Department of Environment - Christmas Tree Recycling - Drop it off at a location listed below from Saturday, January 3 through Friday, January 16 to be chipped and turned into mulch.Bagged mulch will be available at the locations on a limited basis. Please note: We are not accepting recyclable materials at these locations. For additional information on recycling drop-off centers, please visit [url]http://www.chicagorecycles.org[/url] for more information.
Questions? Call the Department of Environment at (312) 744-7606.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Here is the exact page link for locations in the city that you can bring your tree to for recycling.

City of Chicago - Recycle your tree this winter

Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,340 times
Exclamation Our recycling center may close

Our North Park Village recycling center (Pulaski & Ardmore) is in danger of closing due to the plummet in the price for recycled materials. Last I saw (late November) they had a sign up saying they needed donations of $1000 per week to continue operations.

Price changes from September to December according to an AP story this weekend:

Cardboard -75% ($100/ton to $25/ton)
Newspaper -81% ($155/ton to $30/ton)
Mixed Paper -100% ($90/ton to $0)
Aluminum -69% ($0.55/lb to $0.17/lb)
Plastic Bottles - 87% ($0.15/lb to $0.02/lb)
Metal -29% ($140/ton to $100/ton)

Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Our North Park Village recycling center (Pulaski & Ardmore) is in danger of closing due to the plummet in the price for recycled materials. Last I saw (late November) they had a sign up saying they needed donations of $1000 per week to continue operations...
Yeah the Resource Center runs that location as well as a few others like the one I use often at Wrightwood and Lincoln. They put up the same sign at that location.

What I am confused about is where is this $1000 a week figure coming from? Is this for each site or for the whole program? What do these funds cover?

Also these sites have been running for years before the selling prices for materials got to the point where they peaked this summer/fall. Were they losing money before? I highly doubt it. In addition more materials have been collected (from what I noticed) in the last couple years than have in years past.

Where did all the money they took in from the high selling prices of the last couple of years go?

I am very curious about this.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah the Resource Center runs that location as well as a few others like the one I use often at Wrightwood and Lincoln. They put up the same sign at that location.

What I am confused about is where is this $1000 a week figure coming from? Is this for each site or for the whole program? What do these funds cover?

Also these sites have been running for years before the selling prices for materials got to the point where they peaked this summer/fall. Were they losing money before? I highly doubt it. In addition more materials have been collected (from what I noticed) in the last couple years than have in years past.

Where did all the money they took in from the high selling prices of the last couple of years go?

I am very curious about this.
My guess would be salaries for the workers and rent, but that's a complete SWAG.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Thumbs up Blue Bins expansion becoming reality!

Friends of ours in Albany Park (south of Lawrence) got a package yesterday on the doorstep letting them know that their blue bin will be delivered later this month, with pickups to begin in February. Hope we get it soon on the north side of Lawrence...

Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
My guess would be salaries for the workers and rent, but that's a complete SWAG.
I do not know if they pay any rent. They are a non-profit. Seven-Eleven, for example, I believe is donating space for a non-profit therefore it is a tax write off for Seven-Eleven.

As far as salaries,I believe most of their workers are volunteers.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Friends of ours in Albany Park (south of Lawrence) got a package yesterday on the doorstep letting them know that their blue bin will be delivered later this month, with pickups to begin in February. Hope we get it soon on the north side of Lawrence...
Good for you guys. Hopefully your area gets good participation. Maybe you should be a block captain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago