Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 01:26 PM

381 posts, read 349,356 times

Advertisements

I feel like people don't get to try our "real" pizza... thin crust.
Due to it being more of a party or group thing.

Visitors just can't order a slice.
They gotta order a whole damn pizza.

Unlike nyc where everyone and their momma orders a slice for a try.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 02:00 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Most individual slice pizza I've seen is dried out and does not really keep well under hot lights. There used to or maybe still is a place called Sbarro that sell NY style pizza by the slice I used to get and it was hot fresh and pretty good. Lots of people were buying it so it never sat long. Chicago thin crust does not hold up well.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:31 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Most individual slice pizza I've seen is dried out and does not really keep well under hot lights. There used to or maybe still is a place called Sbarro that sell NY style pizza by the slice I used to get and it was hot fresh and pretty good. Lots of people were buying it so it never sat long. Chicago thin crust does not hold up well.
I used to order NY-style thin crust pepperoni pizza by the slice at Cafe Luigi in Lincoln Park. I found it to be pretty decent and not dried out.

I also used to order stuffed pizza by the slice at The Art of Pizza on Ashland Avenue. I'd try to consume two slices, but it was so filling I usually felt like I was force feeding myself midway through the second slice.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:37 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Everyone knows of Sbarro. It is actually a chain, although originated in NY. You are right that pizza by the slice, in general (not just Chicago thin crust), does not hold up well. Many of the good Chicago thin crust restaurants are local, made to order neighborhood places, so they are not conducive to selling individual slices. Plus, Chicago thin crust pizza places are not really located in tourist spots, so visitors wouldn’t be able to easily try them out.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Yeah those thin crust pizzas are my favorite. I disagree about the individual consumption part because I will eat one of those bad boys all by myself without hesitation!

Old 03-29-2019, 10:29 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Chicago is absolutely an excellent thin crust pizza town. Problem is, when visitors come here, what want is deep dish because, hey, this is Chicago. And in areas where tourists go, the “name places” are virtually all deep dish: Uno/Due, Ginos East, Lou’s

If I were going to recommend where tourists should go...if their group is large enough....is Lou’s. And it would be to order both styles: deep dish, of course, but thin as well because as a plae that bilt its fame and fortune, IMHO Lou’s makes an outstanding thin pizza as well. Further, I find their thin pizzas to be unique: I’ve never had a thin pizza rhat tasted like it

Let me throw in a nontourist question here: as noted,the deep dish places downtown are iconic. And two of them...Lou’s and Ginos have locations throughout both the city and suburbs (while Uno’s only has two restaurants, one block apart...so obvious Inam not counting the mediocre offerings of the franchised locale.

Yet I can not think of any thin places that even come close tonarea wide fame....although regionally both Home Run Inn and Connie’s come to mind.

Am I right orvwrong about no thin place that is high profile and recognized for excellence that covers the whole metro area

Old 03-29-2019, 10:38 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Good morning all, while recently in the Lincoln Square book store, I purchased, "Pizza City, USA: 101 reasons why Chicago is America's greatest pizza town" by Steve Dolinsky. Not a bad read!! If you get a chance to peruse it, let me know. They mentioned places like Connie's and Lou's, who received exceptional marks, I do believe! My kids and I like the pizza from Ignotz's near 24th and Oakley, as well as Armand's in Edison Park.... Have a great day, all! - Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 03-29-2019, 01:51 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
If you want to go regional one could argue that Vito and Nicks conquers the South Side. But I know of none that have citywide fame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Chicago is absolutely an excellent thin crust pizza town. Problem is, when visitors come here, what want is deep dish because, hey, this is Chicago. And in areas where tourists go, the “name places” are virtually all deep dish: Uno/Due, Ginos East, Lou’s

If I were going to recommend where tourists should go...if their group is large enough....is Lou’s. And it would be to order both styles: deep dish, of course, but thin as well because as a plae that bilt its fame and fortune, IMHO Lou’s makes an outstanding thin pizza as well. Further, I find their thin pizzas to be unique: I’ve never had a thin pizza rhat tasted like it

Let me throw in a nontourist question here: as noted,the deep dish places downtown are iconic. And two of them...Lou’s and Ginos have locations throughout both the city and suburbs (while Uno’s only has two restaurants, one block apart...so obvious Inam not counting the mediocre offerings of the franchised locale.

Yet I can not think of any thin places that even come close tonarea wide fame....although regionally both Home Run Inn and Connie’s come to mind.

Am I right orvwrong about no thin place that is high profile and recognized for excellence that covers the whole metro area

Old 03-29-2019, 03:17 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Bah. Every pizza is a personal pizza if you're determined enough.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Home Run Inn maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago