Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,717,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
The Hancock will give you a better view than the Willis (former Sears) Tower, and (assuming my info is not out of date) is free - you just go up to the Signature Room (bar on the 95th floor) and enjoy the view from there.
That's exactly what we plan on doing!

Yeah, I had read a few online reviews here and there saying that while the Sears Tower is great (sorry, it will always be Sears Tower in my eyes), the consensus was that John Hancock is even better. Plus they have the bar on the 95th Floor, so I'm sold on that!

This is definitely going to be an exciting trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
The 3 most beautiful vantage points for skyline are:
1. Adler Planetarium and Northerly Island area--both provide great city views from the South Loop/Museum Campus area
2. Montrose Point Bird Sanctuary, north side
3. Promontory Point, Hyde Park/South Side

These are the best to me since they show just how truly massive Chicago is. Other vantage points will get you parts of the skyline, but these pull in more sweeping views IMO.
I would agree. Certainly from a stationary perspective. However, when it comes to driving, coming inbound on the Kennedy offers something special and, I feel, it is Chicago at its most massive.

The special thing: the Kennedy gives you the full sweep of the skyline like nowhere else..if you look at the downtown skyline consisting of the Loop and other points south of the river as one part and the collection of near north locales (Streeterville, Mag Mile, River North, etc), the inbound Kennedy gives you both, side by side, left to right. Nothing really is blocked.

The South Side locales, both Promontory Pt and Museum Campus/Northerly I. Give you comparable views to driving inbound on S LSD. Those South Side locales show off th.e Loop itself, the best treasure throve of the downtown skyline...with the near north mostly stuck in back of it and not very noticable.

Inbound on N LSD puts this in reverse with the Near North skyline in front with much of the Loop in back and.....once again...not noticed.

I also agree with you with your ns Pick: Montrose Harbor.

From a driving perspective on N LSD, when the drive curves at Belmont and the skyline opens up, suddenly coming into view, it is spectacular.

The Souh Side has its skyline view bursting into vision at Prometory Point. The view from here is better than at Belmont as the city appears like an island, resting on the shores of Lake Michigan.

But Belmont on N LSD very much has its advantage of its own....nowhere is the view of Chicago as sumptuous as slipping on by on LSD from Belmont to where the skyline begins at North Ave

Sumptous..the North Side lakefront is just that, the cityscape in the view most appealing. Here you get blue lake, yellow sand, green park, and the condos that line the inner drive, Lakeview LPW and Clark.

What a city

Old 05-06-2019, 02:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
edsg25, you mention the Baha'i Temple. I've seen pictures and it looks beautiful. I've only driven past it, but I will take your advice MYSELF and see what it is like up close. I will wait until it is warmer so I can appreciate the outdoors and indoors. Thank you for sharing!- Master Jay in Milwaukee
The Bahai is beautiful in the Summer especially when the roses are in bloom. My walking club went there every Sunday walking from Dempster and the Lake in Evanston to the Temple. There is a Bahai bookstore inside as well as the Temple itself and access is easy and open.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:04 PM

403 posts, read 929,422 times
edge--Great points. You are bang on regarding the inbound Kennedy. That view is absolutely unreal, and actually is really amazing when there's a slight bit of fog coming off the lake (not enough to remove visibility but enough to add drama). Also 100% right on the blocking of some buildings when you're actually on LSD. Whether traveling from north or from south, there are some buildings that won't ever fully come in to view. I do LOVE that island effect of the Loop from Promontory Point. I recall seeing the Loop from LSD near Promontory when I first moved to Chicago. It was summer, and the lake had this vibrant almost Caribbean hue. And then mighty Chicago rising out of the distance out of the water. My jaw just dropped. Nothing like it. Anywhere actually.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The Bahai is beautiful in the Summer especially when the roses are in bloom. My walking club went there every Sunday walking from Dempster and the Lake in Evanston to the Temple. There is a Bahai bookstore inside as well as the Temple itself and access is easy and open.
Great walk. Would I be right to say that between the campus and temple, you can’t walk along the shoreline? The only public place I can think of is the water works, cultural center and lighthouse

Old 05-07-2019, 12:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
The Temple itself is not really on the water. You have to cut up onto Sheridan Road. You could walk on the beach by the Lighthouse if you wanted to. You could also continue over to Gilson park and beach.

Here is the route we usually took

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Clar...d42.074439!3e2

Old 05-07-2019, 01:17 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times
Check out Alta Vista Terrace. Very cool street.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:40 PM

2,190 posts, read 1,846,239 times
Lots of awesome advice.

Cindy's Rooftop is considered the best in the city. Google that and see if it's your cup of tea.

You may want to check out Restaurant Row on Randolph Street, see if you can get into Girl and the Goat or one of those joints - it's a hopping scene over there.

As for breweries, my favorites so far are Half Acre and Begyle.

Regarding places to avoid...really just stick with the suggestions here and you won't have time to worry about the rough areas of the city.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:35 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Lots of awesome advice.

Cindy's Rooftop is considered the best in the city. Google that and see if it's your cup of tea.

You may want to check out Restaurant Row on Randolph Street, see if you can get into Girl and the Goat or one of those joints - it's a hopping scene over there.

As for breweries, my favorites so far are Half Acre and Begyle.

Regarding places to avoid...really just stick with the suggestions here and you won't have time to worry about the rough areas of the city.

Thanks for the tip I’m checking out Cindy's Rooftop next time I’m there looks like amazing views and good food. I could look at that view of the lake at lunch thru dinner. Awesome city you have! In NYC it’s not easy to get wide open views like that.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Check out Alta Vista Terrace. Very cool street.
Sweet! Looks like a Chicago architecture version of a Society Hill street in Philly. We love checking out historic district neighborhoods with stellar architecture like that wherever we go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago