Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:28 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times

Advertisements

I recently drove along Milwaukee Ave. through Avondale. Noticed that there's a fair amount of construction in that neighborhood. Most buildings being built seem to be 3 to 6 unit apartment buildings or condos. Some of these structures had street level retail, as well.

Is gentrification moving into Avondale from Logan Square?

I can understand the popularity of Logan Square, as it's better served by CTA (Blue Line) and much of its older housing stock was built for the middle class and has some character.

The residential side streets in Avondale seem to have a lot of older and modest frame homes. And Avondale is not as convenient to the Blue Line as is Logan Square.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 01:03 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,445,757 times
Logan Square is getting too expensive so people are moving out to Avondale.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:09 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Depends on how you define gentrification, but there is certainly new construction and momentum there.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:29 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post

Is gentrification moving into Avondale from Logan Square?
Yes. (source: I live there)

Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Absolutely.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Yes. (source: I live there)
Totally I live there as well.

What's starting to get redeveloped to now is Elston between Belmont and Addison. They are adding a few new trendy restaurants. They actually stripped one of the old factory style buildings, to reveal it has beautiful architectural bones. It's very pretty building that was hidden for some time. They are adding a Dark Matter Coffee on Elston and School. Three new resturants on Elston between School and Sacramento (that's where the pretty building is) and a new wine bar from the owners of Parachute on Elston and Albany. It's starting to turn into a pretty active strip.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:32 PM

381 posts, read 348,871 times
I think Avondale will be like Albany Park where it turned into a halfass gentrified neighborhood.

I remember when I was little there was a bunch of Scrapyards and empty lots in Albany Park. As Gentrification kicked in, 4-5 story condo buildings took their places.

But for some reason, Albany Park never went full hipster. I think distance from the core helps.

Honestly I'm surprised parts of far East Garfield park haven't gentrified more yet.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
I think Avondale will be like Albany Park where it turned into a halfass gentrified neighborhood.

I remember when I was little there was a bunch of Scrapyards and empty lots in Albany Park. As Gentrification kicked in, 4-5 story condo buildings took their places.

But for some reason, Albany Park never went full hipster. I think distance from the core helps.

Honestly I'm surprised parts of far East Garfield park haven't gentrified more yet.
There might be gentrified parts of Albany Park but I haven't found them; it looks pretty working class and funky to me. The area north of the river is a little nicer than the rest of it but the residents are old Jews, not young hipsters.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 PM

504 posts, read 495,571 times
Albany Park has a great commercial energy - and some nice housing stock, I like it a lot and it will gentrify in 10 years.

East Garfield Park is definitely going to gentrify solely due to proximity. The new Damen green line stop is going to help speed things up and it is a pretty small area (<20k). Anecdotally, it feels like the % white has increased since the last census in 2015 at 4.25%. Admittedly, 5th avenue is one of the most vacant stretches around.

Avondale has good housing stock - lots of classic 2/3 chicago flats and a lot of new construction for nice apartment buildings and some townhomes. Blue line access with relatively close airport access makes it a sensible choice. Crime wasn't a consideration in this neighborhood. It is only going to get better with the growing blue line route.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:05 AM

381 posts, read 348,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
There might be gentrified parts of Albany Park but I haven't found them; it looks pretty working class and funky to me. The area north of the river is a little nicer than the rest of it but the residents are old Jews, not young hipsters.
Ha.
If you think Albany Park doesn't have a touch of hipster-ness you haven't lived here long enough.

Albany park used to be lower working class... a lot more gangs... graffiti... abandoned lots...
There were barely and condo buildings before.
Less experimental restaurants and coffee shops and what not.
I mean it has a starbucks now.

Point is... Avondale will soon feel like Albany park feels now. A bit more buisnesses. Condos... white people... less gritty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago