U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM
 
Location: 60630
13,282 posts, read 19,651,351 times
Reputation: 12943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
None of those south side neighborhoods you named are even close to MT. Greenwood. To the east it literally borders a cemetery and on the other side of the cemetery is Beverly. To the south it borders Alsip and Merrionette Park, to the west Oak Lawn, and to the north Evergreen Park. If someone is looking to move to Mt. Greenwood I doubt diversity is a priority.
Diversity is not important to me like that. I just want to live around somewhat like minded people.
I used to live in Andersonville and if i could afford it, I would buy a house there. It's a beautiful area. I like to live around people that care about their property, their homes, work hard, family values, supporters of law enforcement. That is what I want.,

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 05-27-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Galewood
3,982 posts, read 9,285,838 times
Reputation: 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Diversity is not important to me like that. I just want to live around somewhat like minded people.
I used to live in Andersonville and if i could afford it, I would buy a house there. It's a beautiful area. I like to live around people that care about their property, their homes, work hard, family values, supporters of law enforcement. That is what I want.,
Indeed, that’s wonderful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2,713 posts, read 1,055,521 times
Reputation: 2099
I'm familiar with Jefferson Park. It seems to be a well kept up and family oriented neighborhood. I do not know My. Greenwood but have heard many good things about it as well! Happy Memorial Day, everyone. I'm sure ALL of us posters have something in common: Family that served to give us the freedom to even post on a board like this! Despite the rain (and we have it in Milwaukee now, too!), have a great day everyone. Master Jay in Milwaukee
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2019, 01:33 PM
 
Location: 60630
13,282 posts, read 19,651,351 times
Reputation: 12943
Another question I have. I work in a hospital close to Douglas Park. My husband work in the Loop. Driving to work from Jeff Park, is on a bad day for him, 40 minutes. For me about an hour. On a good day it takes me 20 only. The freeway is maybe 2 minutes from me right now by car but i can take city streets as well and I am driving through mostly safe areas.
Driving from Mt Greenwood, if I choose not to take the expressway, and I want to drive to my work at Douglas Park....what am I looking at as far as "safety" ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2019, 01:49 PM
 
382 posts, read 224,726 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Another question I have. I work in a hospital close to Douglas Park. My husband work in the Loop. Driving to work from Jeff Park, is on a bad day for him, 40 minutes. For me about an hour. On a good day it takes me 20 only. The freeway is maybe 2 minutes from me right now by car but i can take city streets as well and I am driving through mostly safe areas.
Driving from Mt Greenwood, if I choose not to take the expressway, and I want to drive to my work at Douglas Park....what am I looking at as far as "safety" ?
Highways are usually safe.
Rush hour times/Daylight is usually safe.

Neighborhoods with more active businesses are usually safer.

So taking pulaski or kedzie which i did many times from little company of mary... isn't bad. Mostly Mexican neighborhoods with people and businesses highly active throughout the day.

It gets rougher going north on arterial streets east of California... like western, halsted, michigan, state...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2019, 07:54 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 1,417,678 times
Reputation: 1542
I grew up next to Mount Greenwood. Here's my two cents.

Schools: Seems like the public schools are good, but a lot of people send kids to St. Christina in Mount Greenwood or Queen of Martyrs in Evergreen Park for Catholic school, mainly because it's a lot of Catholics. The public high school is Morgan Park. There's also the Chicago Agricultural HS, which I believe you can access living in the neighborhood. Morgan Park is not very good, and the Ag School is supposedly okay, but your best bet is a Catholic high school (Marist - coed), Brother Rice (all boys), McAuley (all girls). Wouldn't surprise me if Rice/McAuley became one coed school in the next 10-15 years. St. Rita and Mt. Carmel (both all boys) are also popular on the South Side for kids wanted to play certain sports. St. Laurence in Burbank (coed) is also an option. Your kids can always try to get into St. Ignatius HS near UIC, too. They can also try to get into a magnet school like Jones or Whitney Young.

I think in Jefferson Park you feed into Taft High School which I heard is okay but doesn't compare to suburban schools or magnet schools.

Will you fit in as someone from Sweden? I'm not sure if it would be too different than Jefferson Park, maybe not now but potentially in 10-15 years. It is a pretty high percentage of Irish Catholic in Mt. Greenwood, but you will likely be okay. There is a very strong support for law enforcement in the neighborhood. There area tends to be a little more "local" in thought than some other neighborhoods, though.

Whoever is saying it's surrounded by bad neighborhoods is misleading you. As others stated, Evergreen Park to the north, Beverly to the east, Oak Lawn to the West and Alsip/Merrionette Park to the south are all safe.

Someone said you have to do your shopping in the suburbs if you're in Mount Greenwood? I guess technically that's true, but Jeff Park doesn't operate like some small town inside the city. Maybe in Jeff Park you have to go to a different neighborhood for certain things instead of a suburb, or a further away part of Jeff Park. Unless someone told you the borders of Mt. Greenwood and the surrounding suburbs you'd barely notice.

There's a Walgreens in Mount Greenwood at 111th at Kedzie for a pharmacy. There's a Jewel at 103rd and Kedzie.

There's another Jewel in Merrionette Park at 115th and Kedzie. There's a Jewel in Oak Lawn at 95th and Pulaski same with Target. Mariano's, Aldi, Sam's Club and Meijer in Evergreen Park near 95th and Western. There's another Jewel at 103rd and Cicero. Home Depot also at 95th and Pulaski. There's additional retail in Oak Lawn, Crestwood and Chicago Ridge. This is all within a 5-12 minute drive of Mount Greenwood.

Orland Park has the best mall in the area, and unfortunately that's likely 25-30 minutes away.

There's a few bars and restaurants on 111th Street in Mt. Greenwood. Lots more, including a couple breweries on Western Ave in Beverly.

Mt. Greenwood/Beverly/Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park is arguably one of best areas for Chicago thin crust pizza.

You can get to forest preserves/bike trails in either Midlothian or Palos Park in 15-20 minutes from Mt. Greenwood. You can also run or bike around your neighborhood, perfectly safe without having to worry about things like highway entrances/exists

Train access: There's trains in Beverly just east of Longwood Drive every half mile. That's the Rock Island line and goes into LaSalle St Station at Van Buren and LaSalle. There's also the Southwest Line going through Oak Lawn at 95th and less than a half mile west of Cicero. That goes into Union Station. Jeff Park has the Blue Line and Metra, so that also has good train access, maybe better because it's in the neighborhood.

Commute to Douglas Park from Mt. Greenwood: I've never felt unsafe driving on Pulaski at night. Take it to the Stevenson (I-55) then get off at the appropriate exit. Or take Pulaski to Archer to California or Western. You're safer on the highway for sure, but I've never felt unsafe on Archer. Depending what time you come home, Pulaski can be kind of slow heading south, if it's normal rush hour. I've driven down Western basically from downtown all the way to that area and while I keep aware of my surroundings, I haven't felt that uncomfortable, perhaps from doing that for so many years, but really there's probably safer routes that I previously mentioned.

Or take the Dan Ryan (get on I-57 at either 99th St or 111th St. and then get off at the I-55 exit and approach heading southwest toward Douglas Park.

For any of those routes, I'd recommend checking Google maps and then driving the routes to determine your comfort level.

Here's the one downside to Mount Greenwood: Your $300k property may appreciate more in Jeff Park than Mount Greenwood. There's a lot of yuppies moving out of Lakeview, Lincoln Park, North Center, Logan Square, etc that are priced out of single family homes over there, and they're looking at neighborhoods like Irving Park, Jeff Park, Norwood Park, etc. Mount Greenwood isn't necessarily drawing the same types of younger people moving in. It's mostly people that grew up in the area. Most things available in Mount Greenwood also exist in Jeff Park or a surrounding suburb or neighborhood, but it's probably slightly more congested, schools may be a tad worse at the moment and you'll get a little bit less house, or a slightly less updated house for your money in Jeff Park than Mt. Greenwood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 AM
 
Location: 60630
13,282 posts, read 19,651,351 times
Reputation: 12943
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I grew up next to Mount Greenwood. Here's my two cents.

Schools: Seems like the public schools are good, but a lot of people send kids to St. Christina in Mount Greenwood or Queen of Martyrs in Evergreen Park for Catholic school, mainly because it's a lot of Catholics. The public high school is Morgan Park. There's also the Chicago Agricultural HS, which I believe you can access living in the neighborhood. Morgan Park is not very good, and the Ag School is supposedly okay, but your best bet is a Catholic high school (Marist - coed), Brother Rice (all boys), McAuley (all girls). Wouldn't surprise me if Rice/McAuley became one coed school in the next 10-15 years. St. Rita and Mt. Carmel (both all boys) are also popular on the South Side for kids wanted to play certain sports. St. Laurence in Burbank (coed) is also an option. Your kids can always try to get into St. Ignatius HS near UIC, too. They can also try to get into a magnet school like Jones or Whitney Young.

I think in Jefferson Park you feed into Taft High School which I heard is okay but doesn't compare to suburban schools or magnet schools.

Will you fit in as someone from Sweden? I'm not sure if it would be too different than Jefferson Park, maybe not now but potentially in 10-15 years. It is a pretty high percentage of Irish Catholic in Mt. Greenwood, but you will likely be okay. There is a very strong support for law enforcement in the neighborhood. There area tends to be a little more "local" in thought than some other neighborhoods, though.

Whoever is saying it's surrounded by bad neighborhoods is misleading you. As others stated, Evergreen Park to the north, Beverly to the east, Oak Lawn to the West and Alsip/Merrionette Park to the south are all safe.

Someone said you have to do your shopping in the suburbs if you're in Mount Greenwood? I guess technically that's true, but Jeff Park doesn't operate like some small town inside the city. Maybe in Jeff Park you have to go to a different neighborhood for certain things instead of a suburb, or a further away part of Jeff Park. Unless someone told you the borders of Mt. Greenwood and the surrounding suburbs you'd barely notice.

There's a Walgreens in Mount Greenwood at 111th at Kedzie for a pharmacy. There's a Jewel at 103rd and Kedzie.

There's another Jewel in Merrionette Park at 115th and Kedzie. There's a Jewel in Oak Lawn at 95th and Pulaski same with Target. Mariano's, Aldi, Sam's Club and Meijer in Evergreen Park near 95th and Western. There's another Jewel at 103rd and Cicero. Home Depot also at 95th and Pulaski. There's additional retail in Oak Lawn, Crestwood and Chicago Ridge. This is all within a 5-12 minute drive of Mount Greenwood.

Orland Park has the best mall in the area, and unfortunately that's likely 25-30 minutes away.

There's a few bars and restaurants on 111th Street in Mt. Greenwood. Lots more, including a couple breweries on Western Ave in Beverly.

Mt. Greenwood/Beverly/Oak Lawn/Evergreen Park is arguably one of best areas for Chicago thin crust pizza.

You can get to forest preserves/bike trails in either Midlothian or Palos Park in 15-20 minutes from Mt. Greenwood. You can also run or bike around your neighborhood, perfectly safe without having to worry about things like highway entrances/exists

Train access: There's trains in Beverly just east of Longwood Drive every half mile. That's the Rock Island line and goes into LaSalle St Station at Van Buren and LaSalle. There's also the Southwest Line going through Oak Lawn at 95th and less than a half mile west of Cicero. That goes into Union Station. Jeff Park has the Blue Line and Metra, so that also has good train access, maybe better because it's in the neighborhood.

Commute to Douglas Park from Mt. Greenwood: I've never felt unsafe driving on Pulaski at night. Take it to the Stevenson (I-55) then get off at the appropriate exit. Or take Pulaski to Archer to California or Western. You're safer on the highway for sure, but I've never felt unsafe on Archer. Depending what time you come home, Pulaski can be kind of slow heading south, if it's normal rush hour. I've driven down Western basically from downtown all the way to that area and while I keep aware of my surroundings, I haven't felt that uncomfortable, perhaps from doing that for so many years, but really there's probably safer routes that I previously mentioned.

Or take the Dan Ryan (get on I-57 at either 99th St or 111th St. and then get off at the I-55 exit and approach heading southwest toward Douglas Park.

For any of those routes, I'd recommend checking Google maps and then driving the routes to determine your comfort level.

Here's the one downside to Mount Greenwood: Your $300k property may appreciate more in Jeff Park than Mount Greenwood. There's a lot of yuppies moving out of Lakeview, Lincoln Park, North Center, Logan Square, etc that are priced out of single family homes over there, and they're looking at neighborhoods like Irving Park, Jeff Park, Norwood Park, etc. Mount Greenwood isn't necessarily drawing the same types of younger people moving in. It's mostly people that grew up in the area. Most things available in Mount Greenwood also exist in Jeff Park or a surrounding suburb or neighborhood, but it's probably slightly more congested, schools may be a tad worse at the moment and you'll get a little bit less house, or a slightly less updated house for your money in Jeff Park than Mt. Greenwood.

Thank you so much. Very helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 01:31 PM
 
5 posts, read 2,268 times
Reputation: 20
There is a reason Mt Greenwood is so cheap. It would be wise to stay north.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 01:40 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 1,417,678 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyman View Post
There is a reason Mt Greenwood is so cheap. It would be wise to stay north.
What's the reason?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 09:03 AM
 
5 posts, read 2,268 times
Reputation: 20
A few reasons. Little or no public transportation, the Metra from Beverly is really the only option unless you want to run the gauntlet through the south side via the bus to the red line, which is an adventure in itself all the way up to Pershing. Close proximity to the south side shooting gallery, making these neighborhoods the happy hunting grounds with an endless supply of victims.

Yup, plenty of police and fire there, holdovers from the old Irish before them, who assure each other at the bars of Western what a great neighborhood they live in, when they really regret going the cheap route when they came on the job and buying on the south side.

If you really want to get a good feel, find someone who has lived in mt greenwood and then moved up north, they will be able to give you the best perspective. I went through the same pro-con process when I was looking to buy, I decided that the safety of my family and my investment was too important to risk on the "affordability" of Chicago's SW side.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top