U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 07:21 PM

2,381 posts, read 1,417,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Mt. Greenwood seems like an island surrounded by not so good areas.
Mt. Greenwood is surrounded by Beverly/Morgan Park, Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Merrionette Park and Alsip. Which of those are overly concerning and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 08:38 AM

2,736 posts, read 1,055,521 times
fusillirob1983, good morning.

I was hoping to make my south, south side trip in November 2020, but never made it down

I saw that Beverly and Morgan Park had some racial tensions, especially this year. THAT is all I have read about that southwest area of Chicagoland.

Does the area I mentioned typically have ongoing racial division issues?

I can tell you this, I youtubed what people recorded as they drove through Beverly, and THOSE homes are BEAUTIFUL!

Old 11-30-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
fusillirob1983, good morning.

I was hoping to make my south, south side trip in November 2020, but never made it down

I saw that Beverly and Morgan Park had some racial tensions, especially this year. THAT is all I have read about that southwest area of Chicagoland.

Does the area I mentioned typically have ongoing racial division issues?

I can tell you this, I youtubed what people recorded as they drove through Beverly, and THOSE homes are BEAUTIFUL!
Jay, I understand in November 2016 that Mt. Greenwood had an incident in which a police officer shot and killed someone (who I believe either had pointed a gun at him or a firefighter asking the man not to block the firehouse entrance with his car). This sparked protests later in the day after the incident until election day a couple days following. I don't recall an incident there recently, but the one negative I've heard about Mt. Greenwood is that it may be unwelcoming to minorities that want to move there. I don't have any firsthand knowledge of that.

Beverly, on the other hand, back in the 70s when white flight was occurring, made a conscientious decision to take steps to become an integrated neighborhood, similar to what Oak Park did around the same time. It has been an integrated community for over 40 years now and is still a strong community and well supported to have events and celebrate the history of the area. There's a group called the BAPA (Beverly Area Planning Association) that does a lot of the organizing for the Beverly and Morgan Park neighborhoods. Aside from having the pandemic this year, businesses have continued to invest in the neighborhood, and it's continued to be a generally desirable neighborhood.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:54 AM

fusillirob1983, I thought I saw on youtube there was a potential altercation in the Beverly area this year, including the BLM movement?

As far as Mt. Greenwood, it is one of 4 areas of Chicago that were deemed the safest (per Sun Times article in 2015). The others being Edison Park, Forest Glen, and one other in the northwest section ( I think it was North Park).

Old 11-30-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
fusillirob1983, I thought I saw on youtube there was a potential altercation in the Beverly area this year, including the BLM movement?

As far as Mt. Greenwood, it is one of 4 areas of Chicago that were deemed the safest (per Sun Times article in 2015). The others being Edison Park, Forest Glen, and one other in the northwest section ( I think it was North Park).
I haven't heard anything about an altercation, but there may have been if you've seen video of one. I don't live there, so I don't have a full understanding of what's going on "on the ground". To me, I think it's pretty easy to segment BLM-related protests in June 2020 in an area as non-recurring than any long-term racial tension. Mount Greenwood had a BLM protest. Neighboring Evergreen Park had a BLM protest organized by kids that attend the high school. Where I live now in Naperville had multiple BLM protests in early June, again, largely by local high school kids and they were unaffiliated with the vandalism occurred the first night of protests. There's no indication of ongoing racial tension in Naperville either. So to me, a lot of that is a one-off. I have heard about racial tension in Mt Greenwood dating back a couple decades - nothing specific, just that there are some residents who don't want their neighborhood to be more diverse, to put it one way.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:34 PM

fusillirob1983, thank you for sharing.

But you should NOT have admitted to residing in Naperville.

There is a recent contributor that is bent on destroying the name of Naperville!

How's your Barnes and Noble doing? I've been there a few times. A couple of them are closing, including the one in my neighborhood of Greenfield/Milwaukee

Old 11-30-2020, 02:19 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,028,813 times
Check out the police district 011 (I think it's "Harrison"). It makes Mount Greenwood (and most any other area of the city) look like the Vatican in comparison.

Old 11-30-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
fusillirob1983, thank you for sharing.

But you should NOT have admitted to residing in Naperville.

There is a recent contributor that is bent on destroying the name of Naperville!

How's your Barnes and Noble doing? I've been there a few times. A couple of them are closing, including the one in my neighborhood of Greenfield/Milwaukee
Ha, I've noticed. I'm trying to steer clear of the troll! B&N is still there. They did lose a window or two from the vandalism in June but has since been repaired.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:35 PM

202 posts, read 60,923 times
Mount greenwood is like the Edison park of the southside

Old 11-30-2020, 05:17 PM

Chicagoisthebest, good evening. Then I think I'd like Mt. Greenwood then, because I really like Edison Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago