U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 10:56 PM

13,149 posts, read 19,483,127 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to buy a house in a couple of years. Our budget is around 300k. Preferably less than that. Our Household income is about 155ish, so pretty solid middle class. We live in Jeff Park now and we love it. Love the blue collar neighborhood, the safety and easy access to Downtown, metra and CTA.
But it seem like finding a house for 300 k and a family of 4 is hard around here. Not a lot of house for the money.
I have never been to Mt Greenwood but I read it’s very safe and has a similar blue collar lifestyle as Jeff Park..and its cheep. It’s law enforcement friendly which I prefer. However It also bordering some really bad hoods compared to Jeff Park.

Do any of you live or used to live or have friends that live in Mt Greenwood? I don’t care about politics of a neighborhood. My husband is more of a libertarian, but votes conservative. I’m a U.S citizen but as some of you might know, I’m born and raised in Sweden. I usually can adjust to most places, as long as it’s safe and family oriented. I do like living in the City still.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 11:08 PM

382 posts, read 219,252 times
It is connected to the city in a different way that Jefferson Park is. It's basically bad neighborhoods all the way to downtown.
If someone can tell me a good neighborhood then let me know. Cus it's basically washington park...chatham... englewood...back of the yards.. southshore... etc etc. All bad.

The burbs or towns around MT.GW are a big more open.... as in more parking lots... less tall buildings... a bit more spaced out homes.

Jefferson park has nice neighborhoods along the path to downtown each with unique character. I would ride a bike all the way to downtown from JP. But not from Mt.GW.

One more thing is that there is probably less diversity around you. NOrthside has always had a greater mix. And I'm not talking black and white.(People always talk like that's the only people that exist on this planet)
The southside it's basically black american and white american... with mexican sprinkled in.

Less transit options. No CTA besides buses. The expressway is a bit farther. THere's a metra though.... in beverly.

IT will not be the same feel at all. Not a bad thing.... but it will be different.

For quick shopping and nearby hang outs you will tend to go to the suburbs more than the city.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:46 PM

13,149 posts, read 19,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
It is connected to the city in a different way that Jefferson Park is. It's basically bad neighborhoods all the way to downtown.
If someone can tell me a good neighborhood then let me know. Cus it's basically washington park...chatham... englewood...back of the yards.. southshore... etc etc. All bad.

The burbs or towns around MT.GW are a big more open.... as in more parking lots... less tall buildings... a bit more spaced out homes.

Jefferson park has nice neighborhoods along the path to downtown each with unique character. I would ride a bike all the way to downtown from JP. But not from Mt.GW.

One more thing is that there is probably less diversity around you. NOrthside has always had a greater mix. And I'm not talking black and white.(People always talk like that's the only people that exist on this planet)
The southside it's basically black american and white american... with mexican sprinkled in.

Less transit options. No CTA besides buses. The expressway is a bit farther. THere's a metra though.... in beverly.

IT will not be the same feel at all. Not a bad thing.... but it will be different.

For quick shopping and nearby hang outs you will tend to go to the suburbs more than the city.
Well..so far Jeff Park wins. Thank you . I’m very active. I’m a runner, I like to walk, bike etc.
I don’t want to run into the wrong block.
But I hear M.GW is very very safe and affordable

Old 05-27-2019, 12:34 AM

426 posts, read 251,192 times
Section 8 is coming to Jefferson Park thanks to ex-alderman Arena. So if your looking for diversity, you'll hit the jackpot there.

https://nadignewspapers.com/2019/05/...northwest-hwy/

Old 05-27-2019, 01:20 AM

2,536 posts, read 1,489,717 times
There's no doubt Mount Greenwood is disadvantaged from being near some bad south side neighborhoods. That being said, the idea that it's only surrounded by 'hoods is ridiculous. Just to the north is Evergreen Park, which is a safe, blue collar suburb that is mostly comprised of Irish Catholics. The same is true of Berverly (within city limits), just to the Northeast of Mt Greenwood, as well as Oak Lawn, just to the Northwest.

All of these places are mostly Irish Catholic blue collar suburbs/neighborhoods, most of which are communities where many Chicago cops call home. They are very nice and none of them resemble the "ghetto" stereotype the rest of the south side is known for.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend you go running/biking for miles off to the east or south. No matter where you live, you should always know of which places to avoid and which places to be in. But all of Mt Greenwood is fine.

Unfortunately, there's no CTA access in Mt Greenwood, but there is a Metra station in Beverly, and it's only a short drive to I-57.

I believe private schooling is popular in the area; specifically Marist High School, which has a decent reputation.

I can't think of a single neighborhood in the city of Chicago that could possibly be considered "conservative" and especially Republican. That being said, the politics in MG are probably fairly similar to those in JP; very Democratic, but at the same time the religious prominence of the area means a lot of people have some conservative beliefs/styles of life.

I don't know much about Jefferson Park, other than it's a suburban like area on the NW side of the city that's probably an expensive nightmare to live in; especially tax-wise.

If you can do without CTA and want a cheaper place to live, I'd go with Mt Greenwood

Last edited by CCrest182; 05-27-2019 at 01:37 AM..

Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 AM

3,972 posts, read 9,234,412 times
Quote:

None of those south side neighborhoods you named are even close to MT. Greenwood. To the east it literally borders a cemetery and on the other side of the cemetery is Beverly. To the south it borders Alsip and Merrionette Park, to the west Oak Lawn, and to the north Evergreen Park. If someone is looking to move to Mt. Greenwood I doubt diversity is a priority.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
None of those south side neighborhoods you named are even close to MT. Greenwood. To the east it literally borders a cemetery and on the other side of the cemetery is Beverly. To the south it borders Alsip and Merrionette Park, to the west Oak Lawn, and to the north Evergreen Park. If someone is looking to move to Mt. Greenwood I doubt diversity is a priority.
Never said it borders it.
I said that's what's along the way to downtown.
And i said she'd have to go to suburbs to do anything.
Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-27-2019 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Rude.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:53 AM

3,972 posts, read 9,234,412 times
Quote:
Never said it borders it.
I said that's what's along the way to downtown.
And i said she'd have to go to suburbs to do anything.
Don't put words in my mouth.
Then what you’re saying makes no sense Chatham, Washington Park, South Shore are not on the way to downtown from Mt Greenwood, those areas are out of the way. Regardless if she has to go to the suburbs to shop those are the areas that border the neighborhood..... Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-27-2019 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Reply to comment which has been deleted.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:03 AM

426 posts, read 251,192 times
Mt. Greenwood is by far the better choice. Their public schools are very good and you're close to a variety of excellent private schools. Safety wont be an issue because your neighbors will be a lot of Chicago police and firemen. If you go a little bit west, you'll be in the suburbs. The grocery and gas prices (in the suburbs) are much cheaper because you don't have to pay the ridiculous city taxes and the parking is free. As far a diversity is concerned, don't listen to these liberal, democratic nutjobs. Diversity is highly overrated. Most normal people prefer to live among their own kind. It's a basic human need and there's nothing the matter with that. Diversity is abnormal - your personal history, traditional values and culture are taken away from you. You don't want that to happen. You're a unique human being and you should celebrate that and be proud. Look at Europe, they have forced diversity and the people are miserable over there. Now they're trying to fight back and regain what they lost but it might be too late for that. Don't make the same mistake. Good luck, best wishes and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Then what you’re saying makes no sense Chatham, Washington Park, South Shore are not on the way to downtown from Mt Greenwood, those areas are out of the way. Regardless if she has to go to the suburbs to shop those are the areas that border the neighborhood..... [Snip]
The highways and entrances do go through them.
We don't live in a magical world where you can cut through buildings and take a straight shot somewhere.
You will have to interact with said neighborhoods if you wish to go to certain places.
2 neighborhoods as a buffer zone isn't the same as Jefferson park where it's a 10 mile radius of no war zones

Some of us do like to explore sorrounding neighborhoods.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-27-2019 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago