Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,769,427 times

Advertisements

Chicago may well be the biggest scam going. A very successful scam indeed.

Everyone has their own list of the truly "global" US cities. Mine I've mentioned here before. Mine (from what I have concluded) is a group of six cities that when asked on C/D, pop up as the six with global status.

These are (east to west..to avoid any bias): Boston, New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

If you take those six, one is an outlier because it is nowhere near a coast. Obviously Chicago. The other five are either directly on the coast or, in the case of Washington, close by to it. The five are given the anointment of "coastal", a title pretty well owned by only the Northeast Corridor and coastal California (LA-SF). Coastal comes with a price tag. A big price tag.

The five are extremely expensive cities. Each and every one. And as the most expensive cities, they suffer the oxymoronic problems that come with success. New York and San Francisco may be the best example. I contend that both NY and SF have suffered greatly from being the playground of the rich. Both cities have become more generic, less diverse, more homogenized/more "any place". Wealth gave New York pencil thin Billionaires Row tower casting shadows over Central Park. It gave New York the soulless Hudson Yards. San Francisco is for wealthy techies, homeless is rampant in a city where housing is virtually unaffordable. The quirks that made SF so quirky are gone.

Chicago, again: my contention, is the only true metropolis, global city, alpha city, whatever you could to call it located more than 200 miles from any (Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf) coast. Chicago alone acts like, seems like the type of city the other five are. It walks and talks like a duck; so it must be one.

Yet Chicago is cheaper (without remotely being "cheap) than the other five. Chicago, while greatly affected by wealth, is less so than the other five.

Chicago offers the type of global city/major metro that is so desirable well enough away from the coasts to make it more affordable, more of a bargain. The best of bargains. AND THUS THE SCAM. We get this incredible city and metro area to live in at not only the best price imaginable, but without the excesses that are the result of extreme wealth (although, here again, we suffer in this regard, too....but less than the other five). Chicago may well retain that "sense of place" that could be lost in a New York or a San Francisco where a city can be just taken out of hand by outsiders. Chicago has sense of place because Chicago still is a place.

When the story of Goldilocks and the three Chicago bears is told, Chicago ends up being "Baby Bear" (Cub?) because it is "not too little or too soft, not too big or too hard. just right".

So we have cheated our way to greatness, a greatness of which we benefit the most. No coast? Yes, that's what they might think in NY or LA. But we are coastal. We have Lake Michigan which feels like a coast. And don't kid yourself: without that "coast", Chicago never would have been the great city that it is. If St. Louis had continued on its trajectory and had stayed the metropolis of mid-America, it would never have been as formidable as Chicago is because of the lack of open waters.

Chicago dominates its landscape and no truly major metropolis is close by (only Milwaukee could possibly qualify for it alone is near Chicago, but it may be a big city; not a metropolis). In the northeast Corridor, the five cities are all close enough by that each is strongly influenced by its neighbors (less so for NYC). Chicago thus keeps a sense of being "its own place" more than the others.

The negatives "outsiders" see in Chicago serve us as well. We're perceived as the Arctic in winter; we are not and a real Chicagoan knows that in most winters, there are plenty of days without freeze or snow. They see murder and race as a major part of what Chicago is. But in essence, we really are a city of everyone, a city with large groups of whites, blacks, hispanics, and Asians. We are diverse, much of who we are is tolerant. Violence and murder is more of a meme in the sense of "Chicago is the worst".....it isn't. In murder, in crime, etc. Our divides are more economic than racial and those divides are great in each of the five other cities. Yes, we squeeze out blacks, mostly poor, but for much of black Chicago, the middle class black Chicago, the city still works for them. And I would never pick out Chicago as being the poster child of racism. It's bad. It can be very bad. And the reason it is can be explained with three words: the United States. Racism is a disease of the American culture. Chicago, like all, is adversely affected by this serious disease.

In summary: Chicago like no place else offers this incredible city/metro at the most affordable of prices and with the least disadvantages that the coastal cities experience. In Chicago, you can hope a jet and have easier access to all of the other five because we're smack in the middle.

We've got a good thing going. And frankly I think we're pretty happy to keep what we have a secret and not let the others know about it.

I wouldn't want too much success, nor too little success, but just the right amount of success sounds great. Take a bow, Baby Chicago Bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,883,589 times
I think a lot of what you say is true. I think Chicago will rise again despite the fact that it has many problems.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,600,697 times
I like your approach and enthusiasm (as always) but wouldn't your premise make Chicago the opposite of a scam? You get what you see.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:30 PM

1,013 posts, read 899,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

Everyone has their own list of the truly "global" US cities. Mine I've mentioned here before. Mine (from what I have concluded) is a group of six cities that when asked on C/D, pop up as the six with global status.

These are (east to west..to avoid any bias): Boston, New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

If you take those six, one is an outlier because it is nowhere near a coast. Obviously Chicago. The other five are either directly on the coast or, in the case of Washington, close by to it. The five are given the anointment of "coastal", a title pretty well owned by only the Northeast Corridor and coastal California (LA-SF). Coastal comes with a price tag. A big price tag.

The five are extremely expensive cities. Each and every one. And as the most expensive cities, they suffer the oxymoronic problems that come with success. New York and San Francisco may be the best example. I contend that both NY and SF have suffered greatly from being the playground of the rich. Both cities have become more generic, less diverse, more homogenized/more "any place". Wealth gave New York pencil thin Billionaires Row tower casting shadows over Central Park. It gave New York the soulless Hudson Yards. San Francisco is for wealthy techies, homeless is rampant in a city where housing is virtually unaffordable. The quirks that made SF so quirky are gone.

Chicago, again: my contention, is the only true metropolis, global city, alpha city, whatever you could to call it located more than 200 miles from any (Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf) coast. Chicago alone acts like, seems like the type of city the other five are. It walks and talks like a duck; so it must be one.

Yet Chicago is cheaper (without remotely being "cheap) than the other five. Chicago, while greatly affected by wealth, is less so than the other five.

Chicago offers the type of global city/major metro that is so desirable well enough away from the coasts to make it more affordable, more of a bargain. The best of bargains. AND THUS THE SCAM. We get this incredible city and metro area to live in at not only the best price imaginable, but without the excesses that are the result of extreme wealth (although, here again, we suffer in this regard, too....but less than the other five). Chicago may well retain that "sense of place" that could be lost in a New York or a San Francisco where a city can be just taken out of hand by outsiders. Chicago has sense of place because Chicago still is a place.

When the story of Goldilocks and the three Chicago bears is told, Chicago ends up being "Baby Bear" (Cub?) because it is "not too little or too soft, not too big or too hard. just right".

So we have cheated our way to greatness, a greatness of which we benefit the most. No coast? Yes, that's what they might think in NY or LA. But we are coastal. We have Lake Michigan which feels like a coast. And don't kid yourself: without that "coast", Chicago never would have been the great city that it is. If St. Louis had continued on its trajectory and had stayed the metropolis of mid-America, it would never have been as formidable as Chicago is because of the lack of open waters.

Chicago dominates its landscape and no truly major metropolis is close by (only Milwaukee could possibly qualify for it alone is near Chicago, but it may be a big city; not a metropolis). In the northeast Corridor, the five cities are all close enough by that each is strongly influenced by its neighbors (less so for NYC). Chicago thus keeps a sense of being "its own place" more than the others.

The negatives "outsiders" see in Chicago serve us as well. We're perceived as the Arctic in winter; we are not and a real Chicagoan knows that in most winters, there are plenty of days without freeze or snow. They see murder and race as a major part of what Chicago is. But in essence, we really are a city of everyone, a city with large groups of whites, blacks, hispanics, and Asians. We are diverse, much of who we are is tolerant. Violence and murder is more of a meme in the sense of "Chicago is the worst".....it isn't. In murder, in crime, etc. Our divides are more economic than racial and those divides are great in each of the five other cities. Yes, we squeeze out blacks, mostly poor, but for much of black Chicago, the middle class black Chicago, the city still works for them. And I would never pick out Chicago as being the poster child of racism. It's bad. It can be very bad. And the reason it is can be explained with three words: the United States. Racism is a disease of the American culture. Chicago, like all, is adversely affected by this serious disease.

In summary: Chicago like no place else offers this incredible city/metro at the most affordable of prices and with the least disadvantages that the coastal cities experience. In Chicago, you can hope a jet and have easier access to all of the other five because we're smack in the middle.

We've got a good thing going. And frankly I think we're pretty happy to keep what we have a secret and not let the others know about it.

I wouldn't want too much success, nor too little success, but just the right amount of success sounds great. Take a bow, Baby Chicago Bear.

Just browsing on a break and saw this...Chicago is a fine city! Just wondering what’s spurred this on?

Old 06-12-2019, 12:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,663,861 times
^^^^^^What he said.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,785,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

I am not following your post at all. Based on the argument you are trying to make, Chicago wouldn’t be considered a SCAM. It would be considered a GOOD DEAL/BARGAIN, which is the complete opposite of a scam.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,348,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I think a lot of what you say is true. I think Chicago will rise again despite the fact that it has many problems.
Mainly it needs a political enema.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:05 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,351,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I am not following your post at all. Based on the argument you are trying to make, Chicago wouldn’t be considered a SCAM. It would be considered a GOOD DEAL/BARGAIN, which is the complete opposite of a scam.
I agree. In general, Chicago would be best labeled as a bargain, not a scam (unless you believe that what you pay for in Chicago is ripping you off, and there are many who actually believe so).

I also don't agree with this idea that Chicago is the "the only true metropolis, global city, alpha city, whatever you could to call it located more than 200 miles from any (Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf) coast."

Maybe that was true several decades back, but obvious omissions include Toronto and Dallas (both ascendent to their positions today), and even Mexico City (perhaps within 200 miles to the gulf or Pacific, but still decidedly inland, which is the crux of the argument).

Old 06-12-2019, 01:49 PM

629 posts, read 535,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Just browsing on a break and saw this...Chicago is a fine city! Just wondering what’s spurred this on?
he definitely has some interesting musings here!

As for the premise... ehhhh not so sure about that, if it was so great and affordable people would be moving here in droves while the numbers state otherwise...

Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM

629 posts, read 535,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
he definitely has some interesting musings here!

As for the premise... ehhhh not so sure about that, if it was so great and affordable people would be moving here in droves while the numbers state otherwise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago