Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 01:07 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,178,003 times

Advertisements

I have quite a few questions.

Airport: No preference, probably I will choose O'Hare International Airport. Or other airport if it is more convenient.

Duration: arrive in Day 1 early morning, and leave on Day 4 noon (actually I should get back to airport around 11 am)

Hotel budget: Ideally less than $150 per night, but okay if it is a little bit more.

I have not booked flight ticket yet, but I have 4 days available, including travel time. I am from Washington DC.

I have a few questions, and I would appreciate if you can provide some additional useful information if I have not covered.
  1. Hotel: Please recommend a few specific hotels. Or at least recommend where are good place to look for a hotel.
  2. Transportation: I guess I will go with public transportation 3-day pass $20, I found the link here https://www.transitchicago.com/fares/ . If I buy the 3-day pass in day one morning, will it expire on Day 4 morning or expire at day 3 11:59pm ? For example, if I buy the pass on June 11 morning 10am, will it expire on June 13 11:59pm or June 14 10am ? Is the pass valid for both train and bus? Or it is for train only? What is "L" train? Is 3-day pass valid for 'L' train from O'Hare $5 ?
  3. Please recommend a few attractions.

Thanks.

Last edited by Baike; 06-25-2019 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 02:52 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times
Is this your first time? If it is then that will change what one recommends in regards to things to see.

If I were you I would try to do 2 days in downtown, and then 1 day in a neighborhood. If you decide to stay at hotel outside of downtown then you can mix your visits between downtown and the neighborhoods.

Hotels will be pretty expensive now as its prime tourist season, so I don't know how much you are going to find but aside from downtown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wicker Park all have hotels (but they also might be over $150 per night).

Have you considered AirBnB?

Anyway if I were you I would definitely consider flying into O'Hare. The Blue Line runs more frequently. Also, there are more interesting places to see off the Blue Line like Wicker Park, Bucktown and Logan Square.

Also what kind of things do you like to do? I think we need more info. There are tons of things to do and see in Chicago, so it's a little hard to guide you without that info.

But off the top of my head must sees and do's are Millenium Park, Riverwalk and boat tour, walk down Michigan Avenue and see the city from on top of of one of the tallest buildings (either John Hancock or Willis, I recommend Hancock). To reiterate I think you should definitely venture out to one of the neighborhoods. Wicker Park, Lincoln Park and Lakeview are highly recommended. West Loop is pretty awesome too, but isn't as "neighborhoody" but feels more like an extension of downtown.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Is this your first time? If it is then that will change what one recommends in regards to things to see.

If I were you I would try to do 2 days in downtown, and then 1 day in a neighborhood. If you decide to stay at hotel outside of downtown then you can mix your visits between downtown and the neighborhoods.

Hotels will be pretty expensive now as its prime tourist season, so I don't know how much you are going to find but aside from downtown, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wicker Park all have hotels (but they also might be over $150 per night).

Have you considered AirBnB?

Anyway if I were you I would definitely consider flying into O'Hare. The Blue Line runs more frequently. Also, there are more interesting places to see off the Blue Line like Wicker Park, Bucktown and Logan Square.

Also what kind of things do you like to do? I think we need more info. There are tons of things to do and see in Chicago, so it's a little hard to guide you without that info.

But off the top of my head must sees and do's are Millenium Park, Riverwalk and boat tour, walk down Michigan Avenue and see the city from on top of of one of the tallest buildings (either John Hancock or Willis, I recommend Hancock). To reiterate I think you should definitely venture out to one of the neighborhoods. Wicker Park, Lincoln Park and Lakeview are highly recommended. West Loop is pretty awesome too, but isn't as "neighborhoody" but feels more like an extension of downtown.
Yes, this is my first time, so lots of questions. What do I like to do? Nothing specific, just for vacation, visiting attractions. Since I don't have anything specific, that is why I am asking questions here.

What else can I do in neighborhood? Do I need to rent a car?

Could you please also answer second part of my question (in the first post) related to public transportation?

Thanks.

Last edited by Baike; 06-25-2019 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
Yes, this is my first time, so lots of questions. What do I like to do? Nothing specific, just for vacation, visiting attractions. Since I don't have anything specific, that is why I am asking questions here.

What else can I do in neighborhood? Do I need to rent a car?

Could you please also answer second part of my question (in the first post) related to public transportation?

Thanks.
Passes are valid for both trains and buses. If you buy a 3 day pass it will expire 72 hours after purchase at the exact time you first used it. As soon as you use it, then it starts ticking off time until the end. The 3-day pass is valid from O'Hare. The L is just the name of the train system, so there is no difference, they are on in the same.

My list of tings I would do:
- Millennium Park
-Walk down Michigan Avenue from Millenium Park to the John Hancock
-Go to the observatory of the John Hancock
-Walk the Riverwalk
-Do an architecture boat tour
-Go to Navy Pier
-Check out the Chicago Art Institute
-If weather permits go to Oak Street Beach
-Rent a bike a ride it along the lakefront up to about Fullerton or Belmont and ride it back, beautiful views.
-Check out the Wicker Park neighborhood (specifically Milwaukee and Damen intersection, walk down Milwaukee to Division, explore Division (this is all accessible via the Blue Line)
-Explore Lincoln Park, there is a lot in that neighborhood, from the area on Lincoln and Halsted (accesible via Brown Line) to the actual park of Lincoln Park.
-Lakeview is cool too, specifically the area around Clark and Addison and Clark and Belmont but I wouldn't prioritize Lakeview over Wicker Park or Lincoln Park.
-West Loop is another interesting area to check out.
-Try deep dish pizza, chicago hot dog, Italian Beef.
-Just explore and walk around downtown.

All of that will keep you more than busy. for 3.5 days.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:24 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
As this is vacation/travel related, you may get more indepth responses over the TripAdvisor forums. A lot of good resources there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...-Illinois.html

Old 06-25-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Passes are valid for both trains and buses. If you buy a 3 day pass it will expire 72 hours after purchase at the exact time you first used it. As soon as you use it, then it starts ticking off time until the end. The 3-day pass is valid from O'Hare. The L is just the name of the train system, so there is no difference, they are on in the same.

My list of tings I would do:
- Millennium Park
-Walk down Michigan Avenue from Millenium Park to the John Hancock
-Go to the observatory of the John Hancock
-Walk the Riverwalk
-Do an architecture boat tour
-Go to Navy Pier
-Check out the Chicago Art Institute
-If weather permits go to Oak Street Beach
-Rent a bike a ride it along the lakefront up to about Fullerton or Belmont and ride it back, beautiful views.
-Check out the Wicker Park neighborhood (specifically Milwaukee and Damen intersection, walk down Milwaukee to Division, explore Division (this is all accessible via the Blue Line)
-Explore Lincoln Park, there is a lot in that neighborhood, from the area on Lincoln and Halsted (accesible via Brown Line) to the actual park of Lincoln Park.
-Lakeview is cool too, specifically the area around Clark and Addison and Clark and Belmont but I wouldn't prioritize Lakeview over Wicker Park or Lincoln Park.
-West Loop is another interesting area to check out.
-Try deep dish pizza, chicago hot dog, Italian Beef.
-Just explore and walk around downtown.

All of that will keep you more than busy. for 3.5 days.
Thanks for the information.

Why the train from airport cost $5? I mean can I buy the 3-day pass at the passport? Is the 3-day pass valid from airport station?

https://www.transitchicago.com/fares/

'L' train fare from O'Hare
Deducted on entry at O'Hare station, only, from Ventra transit account using Ventra Card or via contactless Pay-As-You-Go payment methods. $5

Old 06-25-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
As this is vacation/travel related, you may get more indepth responses over the TripAdvisor forums. A lot of good resources there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...-Illinois.html
Thanks.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:04 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
Thanks for the information.

Why the train from airport cost $5? I mean can I buy the 3-day pass at the passport? Is the 3-day pass valid from airport station?

https://www.transitchicago.com/fares/

'L' train fare from O'Hare
Deducted on entry at O'Hare station, only, from Ventra transit account using Ventra Card or via contactless Pay-As-You-Go payment methods. $5
Yes, you avoid the O’Hare surcharge by using the multi-day CTA pass.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Yes, you avoid the O’Hare surcharge by using the multi-day CTA pass.
I see. I just thought airport station costs more(sounds like a special station) and if 3-day pass works for that station.

So it also costs $5 if I travel from another train station to airport? On day 4, my 3-days pass will expire. So I need to pay one final trip back to airport.

What does chicago metro station like? Only swipe the card when entry? Then go to any other stations?

In DC, the fare is calculated by distance, it will require to swipe the card both when entrance and exit.

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:03 AM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
when I travel, I always avoid o'hare if possible. if you can fly to midway using southwest, I highly recommend that. the orange line is there, and it will take you straight downtown just like the blue line will from ohare.

also, there's no surcharge taking the trains from midway either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago