Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 01:47 PM

474 posts, read 529,911 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking for recent numbers on what intersections downtown (particularly Michigan Avenue) have the most people walking around on any given day. I found a study from CDOT, but it's dated 2007 and I'm interested to see how things might have changed since then. If anyone could link me to any sources, that'd be a great help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 05:25 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for recent numbers on what intersections downtown (particularly Michigan Avenue) have the most people walking around on any given day. I found a study from CDOT, but it's dated 2007 and I'm interested to see how things might have changed since then. If anyone could link me to any sources, that'd be a great help!
Pedestrians? Randolph & Michigan is pretty busy, seeing how the theater district is to the west, shopping/restaurants on Michigan to the north and south, and the park to the east.

The intersections around Union Station are also pretty busy.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:27 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,980 times
The busiest corner is Walk, Dont Walk of course!

Couldnt resist.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 AM

474 posts, read 529,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Pedestrians? Randolph & Michigan is pretty busy, seeing how the theater district is to the west, shopping/restaurants on Michigan to the north and south, and the park to the east.

The intersections around Union Station are also pretty busy.
That sounds about right, thanks. Do you think the parts of Michigan north of the river would be busier (I'm thinking Michigan/Chicago)? How does State Street compare?

Old 07-25-2019, 10:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
The same trends will be there from the 2007 study (i've looked at that study multiple times). As far as I know there haven't been any updated counts.

Michigan is going to be your best bet, maybe State. I believe weekends on north Michigan ended up being the highest.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:40 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,827,967 times
Do you mean busiest year round or busiest at certain hours of the day? During rush hour the Madison, Adams and Monroe street bridges are jam packed full of people traveling to/from the trains.

Year round would probably be the area up on Michigan Ave near water tower place.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:34 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Do you mean busiest year round or busiest at certain hours of the day? During rush hour the Madison, Adams and Monroe street bridges are jam packed full of people traveling to/from the trains.

Year round would probably be the area up on Michigan Ave near water tower place.
Another one for year round I would say is the direct area around Block 37, specifically the State and Randolph intersection. Lots of busy train stations there, lots of retail, lots of offices, lots of hotels, lots of restaurants, lots of theaters, and very close to a lot of the main tourist attractions to the city. This all within a 2-block radius. I have never seen that intersection not busy and for the past 5 years I walk through it every day for work.

Just the train stops alone you have Blue, Red, Purple, Orange, Green, Pink and Brown all within on block of each other. And those specific stations are ones where a ton of commuters get on and off. Heck I would say they are the most crowded CTA stops. I know for the Blue Line Clark/Lake and Washington have to be the busiest stops.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:54 AM

143 posts, read 290,038 times
If you’re looking at candidates for busiest in neighborhoods outside downtown, Clark/Belmont is a good candidate. I lived on the corner of Halsted/Belmont for 9 years and it always has some level of pedestrian traffic at any given time with the Belmont CTA stop being such a busy transfer point.

If there’s a event at Wrigley, concert at the Vic, or Blue Man has a show; that whole triangle of Clark/Belmont/Halsted can be packed with pedestrians.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 AM

796 posts, read 929,764 times
surprised no one mentioned milwaukee/damen/north ave.

I dread ever having to drive thru there and try to avoid it at all cost.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:56 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
surprised no one mentioned milwaukee/damen/north ave.

I dread ever having to drive thru there and try to avoid it at all cost.
Most vibrant intersection 24/7 outside of downtown. For sure. Love the energy around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: