Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times

Advertisements

Chicago is a Midwest metropolis. It plays a role similar to that of New York for the Northeast and urban California for the West. However, it being a Midwest metropolis, it has a lot in common, arguably more in common, with other high profile Midwestern cities like Minneapolis and Detroit than it does with "New York and San Francisco." I also don't think the cost of living in Chicago is substantially higher than Minneapolis or Detroit. The nicer parts of both of those metros can be pretty pricey too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 03:13 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,501 times
What are some cities with a similar COL to Chicago?

Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
I have lived in mid-sized cities my whole life until I decided to move to Chicago, and it was definitely worth it to me. Like others have said it is all subjective, but I am incredibly happy that I made the move to Chicago. I've had some amazing times here, and experienced urban living like I could not have in Pittsburgh. Even though I plan on moving back to Pittsburgh eventually for family reasons, I've been here almost 9 years and haven't regretted it once.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
If you live your day to day life and don't get caught up in a lot of politics, you won't notice anything that people say about the corruptions and poorly run State. I've lived here all my life and other than the fact that taxes are high, I don't notice anything about that stuff on a day to day basis. Make sure to live in a safe area. Chicago is a beautiful city with many fine attributes and is better than the other places you mention. As far as problems, other cities have problems too not unlike Chicago's.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
If you live your day to day life and don't get caught up in a lot of politics, you won't notice anything that people say about the corruptions and poorly run State. I've lived here all my life and other than the fact that taxes are high, I don't notice anything about that stuff on a day to day basis. Make sure to live in a safe area. Chicago is a beautiful city with many fine attributes and is better than the other places you mention. As far as problems, other cities have problems too not unlike Chicago's.
You don't notice the condition of the infrastructure here? That's the most glaring thing to many of the visitors I receive here. They are stunned by the condition of the roads, and the lack of cleanliness of the CTA.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You don't notice the condition of the infrastructure here? That's the most glaring thing to many of the visitors I receive here. They are stunned by the condition of the roads, and the lack of cleanliness of the CTA.
You have never encountered dirty buses or trains riding public trans in other US cities(?)

Old 07-21-2019, 11:32 AM

92 posts, read 99,220 times
I hear many comments on the NYC and Chicago forums that NYC is noted to be fairly dirty with quite a bit of garbage (also no alleys so garbage cans are emptied from streetside pickups) compared to Chicago. I also hear that our CTA rapid transit is cleaner and more efficiently operated than NYCs. So I guess I will count our blessings. That said I have seen plenty of messes on the CTA.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You have never encountered dirty buses or trains riding public trans in other US cities(?)
Exactly. The poster must have never been to major northeast cities (NYC, Philly, Boston) if he/she thinks the CTA is any dirtier than those legacy train systems in the Northeast.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:01 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I agree with this, although I think your profession/salary impacts how much you notice political things. If you are in a well-paying, white collar profession (healthcare, law, engineering/tech, consulting, CPA, etc), you will not notice any of this. If you work for the city, and have a more modest salary, I can see how the "politics" could impact you more.

I also, have not noticed any of this, but I think that, that is because of my profession/salary. It is similar to the violent crime in the city. If you live in a good neighborhood, you don't notice it and it doesn't impact you, but in certain neighborhoods it is absolutely real and can impact people living there.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Exactly. The poster must have never been to major northeast cities (NYC, Philly, Boston) if he/she thinks the CTA is any dirtier than those legacy train systems in the Northeast.
Of course I have, but visitors seem to think that the CTA rises to another level. Personally, I've seen tons of rats in the NYC Subway. I actually felt that Paoli/Thorndale Line in Philadelphia was pretty nice. Anyway, visitors perception. I don't do Chicago public transit. I've actually never been on a bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with this, although I think your profession/salary impacts how much you notice political things. If you are in a well-paying, white collar profession (healthcare, law, engineering/tech, consulting, CPA, etc), you will not notice any of this. If you work for the city, and have a more modest salary, I can see how the "politics" could impact you more.

I also, have not noticed any of this, but I think that, that is because of my profession/salary. It is similar to the violent crime in the city. If you live in a good neighborhood, you don't notice it and it doesn't impact you, but in certain neighborhoods it is absolutely real and can impact people living there.
I don't agree with that at all. Upper-income people tend to be more frantic about income taxes than lower-income people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago