Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 6,836 times

Advertisements

We are new to the city (sort of...lived here 19 years ago for a couple of years.) We are currently in an Airbnb near the Belmont blue line stop (so Avondale-ish/Logan?)

We are currently looking at an apartment just south of Kosciuszko Park. We do have kids between the ages of 10 and 15. We really don't know the area terribly well, so we aren't sure if this is a safe area. In all of our visits and time living here, we've only ever lived on the same block as an L stop, so walking 15 min to a stop would be new to us.

Can anyone give us some background on the area?

Thanks!

Last edited by NuttyAustinChicago; 09-03-2019 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 01:10 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,427,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyAustinChicago View Post
We are new to the city (sort of...lived here 19 years ago for a couple of years.) We are currently in an Airbnb near the Belmont blue line stop (so Avondale-ish/Logan?)

We are currently looking at an apartment just south of Kosciuszko Park. We do have kids between the ages of 10 and 15. We really don't know the area terribly well, so we aren't sure if this is a safe area. In all of our visits and time living here, we've only ever lived on the same block as an L stop, so walking 15 min to a stop would be new to us.

Can anyone give us some background on the area?

Thanks!
That area is okay, but only getting better. Once you go south of Fullerton and west of Pulaski, it's starts to decline.

Overall though, that area is gentrifying big time. So I would say it's only going to get better. Have you considered going east, like the eastern part of Avondale? It borders Logan Square, but eastern Avondale, north and east of the I-94/Kennedy, is very safe, very family friendly and very convenient. It's still affordable unless you are looking to buy a single family home.

The area of Kosciusko Park is okay, its just not that convenient to get around to, and while the direct area is fine in regards to safety. Some of the immediate neighboring area, are not the best, not the worst, but not the best either.

If you lived around there 19 years ago, for sure I can confirm the area has gotten better since. That's for sure.

I was looking at lofts near Pulaski and Diversey. I just felt like I was too far from where I wanted to be.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Thanks! This def helps. We didn't live in that area when we were here. We were in Lincoln Square, which we really enjoyed!

Old 09-03-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks! This def helps. We didn't live in that area when we were here. We were in Lincoln Square, which we really enjoyed!
Ah okay. Well if you are hoping from something akin to Lincoln Square that part of town is not for you then. Avondale, especially the western part is very ethnic, primarily Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Polish folks. It's more gritty overall. I am not knocking that as a negative, I prefer Avondale over white lilly Lincoln Square or Lincoln Park.

However, if you are looking for something not like Lincoln Square then that part of Avondale might suit you.

TBH you could have the best of both worlds. As mentioned Eastern Avondale and also the Eastern part of Logan Square have that mix of some grit and ethnic populations mixed with a slight (but not overpowering) Lincoln Square touch (white, more family oriented, professionals).

Old 09-03-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Ah okay. Well if you are hoping from something akin to Lincoln Square that part of town is not for you then. Avondale, especially the western part is very ethnic, primarily Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Polish folks. It's more gritty overall. I am not knocking that as a negative, I prefer Avondale over white lilly Lincoln Square or Lincoln Park.

However, if you are looking for something not like Lincoln Square then that part of Avondale might suit you.

TBH you could have the best of both worlds. As mentioned Eastern Avondale and also the Eastern part of Logan Square have that mix of some grit and ethnic populations mixed with a slight (but not overpowering) Lincoln Square touch (white, more family oriented, professionals).

I'm Mexican, so it's cool. My husband is white. We can hang w/all types. I just want to feel safe walking the 15 min to the L, or taking my youngest to the park, etc.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I'm Mexican, so it's cool. My husband is white. We can hang w/all types. I just want to feel safe walking the 15 min to the L, or taking my youngest to the park, etc.
I think you should be okay in that regard, again as you don't venture too far south and west from your area. I would still look around at other parts in Logan Square and Avondale as they both offer better than that direct area. The western fringes of both neighborhoods, while not the worst, aren't the best.

Old Irving Park is another option to look into as well.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:53 PM

504 posts, read 500,052 times
That area has been doing really well in recent years and is becoming really nice. If you metra, its a great spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: