Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 05:22 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

Strangely for a city/metro area I've lived in all my long, long life (most of it admittedly in North Shore and n.w. suburbs), I now find myself in the strangest of circumstances:

I'm going to be a visitor to Chicago.

I have a friend coming into town for a four day visit in late August. I obviously will be "showing him the town" (although he has been here before). My friend likes to have a room of his own when traveling. He can easily afford that. My assumption is that he will probably stay at a hotel around the Mag Mile.

What I want to do is to find a reasonably priced hotel room nearby. In that respect, all I need is a room....I'll only be there to sleep. I guess this would be my greatest need of what I have to figure out for his visit.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about booking on line with services like Expedia? Since i don't know where he will stay, I cannot yet pinpoint where I'd like to stay. If he does stay in the Mag Mile/Streeterville/River North area, I wouldn't have a problem with a decent walk to Michigan Avenue. My sense is that somewhere between Clark and LaSalle, the properties become cheaper. I would be comfortable walking from this area to Michigan Avenue. Even Wells and Franklin aren't too far.

I'll be picking my friend up at O'Hare so (for better or for worse), I'm stuck with a car downtown for 2-3 days. I'd like to keep parking expenses as low as possible. Obviously the prices for parking...either at the hotel or nearby can be exorbitant, especially as far west as Dearborn. I would think they come down bit in the further reaches of River North.

Thus, if I can find reasonable parking near where I am staying, I'd go for it. There is something else I considered: I don't really have to keep my car downtown if I have easy access to getting it when needed. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but my thinking is if I could find a good parking location somewhere mid-north I wouldn't have a problem with using that. I could get to my car by cab or CTA. I'd prefer CTA. L over bus.

Figuring that I would be staying in the part of River North I mentioned. I would be fine with catching either a red or brown/purple line train at their respective Chgo Ave stations..both of which would give me access to Fullerton (probably as far north as I want to go). Segwick on the brown and North & Clybourn on the red would be areas I'd consider for parking too.

That's pretty much it. It's 99% about getting a room and parking. But other info that you can offer wouldn't hurt. I know the city very, very well, but I'm more than open to suggestions that might make all aspects of this "trip" better.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 05:31 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
If you don't mind a short EL ride:

There's free non-permit parking on Sheffield between Clybourn and Armitage. Still watch for certain signs non-parkable areas regarding intersections, hydrants, etc.

If that's full, try around Jonquil Park at Lincoln and Sheffield. It's generally free around the perimeter of the park.

I can't be of help regarding rooms.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:29 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
It doesn’t sound like either of you needs a car during this visit. I’d spare yourself that headache and leave it at home. Although Typically when a guest of mine is staying near michigan ave/etc and has a car, I stick their car in grant park or mileneum park garage for <$60 (3-4 days). The spothero app can come in handy.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:22 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
As others have said, you wouldn’t need a car if you are downtown. If you did, for some reason, there are tons of Zipcars available.

I would use one of the discount sites like Trivago, Hotels, Expedia, Orbitz. I personally like Trivago. Staying in one of the modern, clean hotels in River North or Downtown (Loop) would be my preference. You could get them at a decent price with the discount sites. There are also more vintage (less modern) apartments for cheaper. It just depends on your preference.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As others have said, you wouldn’t need a car if you are downtown. If you did, for some reason, there are tons of Zipcars available.

I would use one of the discount sites like Trivago, Hotels, Expedia, Orbitz. I personally like Trivago. Staying in one of the modern, clean hotels in River North or Downtown (Loop) would be my preference. You could get them at a decent price with the discount sites. There are also more vintage (less modern) apartments for cheaper. It just depends on your preference.
I have used trivago too- it’s good.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
If you don't mind a short EL ride:

There's free non-permit parking on Sheffield between Clybourn and Armitage. Still watch for certain signs non-parkable areas regarding intersections, hydrants, etc.

If that's full, try around Jonquil Park at Lincoln and Sheffield. It's generally free around the perimeter of the park.

I can't be of help regarding rooms.
wow. That would be great. Am I right that that would be only a one block stretch betw Clybourn and Armitage. Also isn’t that about 5 blocks to brown line on Armitage, right?

that

Old 08-07-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I guess my thinking was the car would be the best option for picking up my friend at O’Hare. Also, of course I would be mostly downtown, but I might want to take him to MSI or to see the view from Adler. But I think it helps to have this other option of leaving my car at home...so thank you..very helpful

Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
wow. That would be great. Am I right that that would be only a one block stretch betw Clybourn and Armitage. Also isn’t that about 5 blocks to brown line on Armitage, right?

that
I think Clybourn runs into Sheffield around 1700 N. I think it would be the equivalent of a couple block walk if you parked near the south end. I have a friend around Armitage and Sheffield. I normally park there if I drive to his place. Typically can find something within 1-2 blocks of the Armitage Brown Line.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:30 AM

It sounds like edsg from his other posts lives in the burbs but is planning to pick up a friend at the airport and stay downtown a couple days and doesn't want to pony up for parking - I don't blame him.

I think finding free parking on the street in exchange for 20-30 minutes of round trip commute to the car is worthwhile.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Why mess around? Take the Blue Line from ORD (or park at the Cumberland station) to downtown and stay near N Michigan Av . Several hotels available for under $180/nt.. The Knickerbocker is under $100 depending on dates through Expedia. From there you can easily walk, take the L or take the water taxis to most of the major sites. Take the SSL to MSI. We do this all the time with visitors and works great without having to worry about traffic and parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago