Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 11:41 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times

Advertisements

https://www.city-journal.org/chicago-housing-market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 11:58 AM

4,951 posts, read 3,055,358 times
"It isn’t just the wealthy, who tend to be older, leaving. A new study by demographer William Frey of the migration patterns of millennials (those aged 22 to 38) found that Chicago ranks as the third-least attractive among the nation’s 53 largest metro areas, losing an average of nearly 19,000 more young adults than it gains every year."

At this rate, city should be pretty much abandoned by 2050.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:59 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
This is an accurate assessment of the Chicago real estate market. I know posters on here are going to point out the ''boom'' downtown, river north, etc the usual but the middle class is leaving the city, county, metro, and state. I know several folks in the city that can't sell their homes for what they paid during the early '00s boom...NW side 'hoods to be specific.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Not a reliable source in the slightest. Errr. Try again.

I agree with some points there, but I immediately throw ultra-politically charged and heavy leaning biased websites in the garbage, as they rarely allow reality to stay in the spotlight over their own opinions and beliefs.

I say this as a libertarian/center right person myself. That website is not a credible source, but a non-stop editorial board for hardcore conservatives.

I've heard the narrative of "Chicago will look like Detroit or Flint" way too many times, just like I've heard people on the far left claiming Florida will be underwater in 10 years. Those extreme narratives and scare tactics just get old after a while.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:07 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Not a reliable source in the slightest. Errr. Try again.

I agree with some points there, but I immediately throw ultra-politically charged and heavy leaning biased websites in the garbage, as they rarely allow reality to stay in the spotlight over their own opinions and beliefs.

I say this as a libertarian/center right person myself. That website is not a credible source, but a non-stop editorial board for hardcore conservatives.

I've heard the narrative of "Chicago will look like Detroit or Flint" way too many times, just like I've heard people on the far left claiming Florida will be underwater in 10 years. Those extreme narratives and scare tactics just get old after a while.
You can dismiss what you want with the biased talk but, on the ground, Chicago is not doing great now. I didn't read that the Chicago was going to be the next Detroit-Flint in this article.

The Chicago area housing market is not great and the population loss is real.

Politics and biases aside, Lightfoot and Pritzker need to turn things around ASAP.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:34 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
I've heard the narrative of "Chicago will look like Detroit or Flint" way too many times, just like I've heard people on the far left claiming Florida will be underwater in 10 years.
The only way Florida will be underwater is if the limestone karst collapses and becomes a hotspot for sinkholes. Potable drinking water is harder to find because of seawater intrusions into the aquifer.

The Texas Hill Country has the same karst topography and full of sinkholes that are home to tourist attraction caves. San Antonio's northern suburbs and west Austin could pancake the same way as in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I know posters on here are going to point out the ''boom'' downtown, river north, etc the usual but the middle class is leaving the city, county, metro, and state.
But nobody leaving the U.S.? I would leave the U.S. after living in Illinois from PTSD.

I would imagine that Chicago would join S.F., L.A. and N.Y.C. in having the desirable areas becoming unaffordable--attracting the über-wealthy, and the undesirable areas being full of middle-class (and lower) people struggling to get by. The pretty skyline by the lake will attract the scenesters and groupies of the global titans for sure!

Old 08-19-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
You can dismiss what you want with the biased talk but, on the ground, Chicago is not doing great now. I didn't read that the Chicago was going to be the next Detroit-Flint in this article.

The Chicago area housing market is not great and the population loss is real.

Politics and biases aside, Lightfoot and Pritzker need to turn things around ASAP.
Oh I agree completely, Chicago is one of the most troubled cities politically in the nation. I just can't stand the doomsday talk, no matter if that's about liberal places or conservative places. Things are rough but Chicago will be fine as a city in the end. I have hope that things can turn around for the better.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The only way Florida will be underwater is if the limestone karst collapses and becomes a hotspot for sinkholes. Potable drinking water is harder to find because of seawater intrusions into the aquifer.

The Texas Hill Country has the same karst topography and full of sinkholes that are home to tourist attraction caves. San Antonio's northern suburbs and west Austin could pancake the same way as in Florida.

But nobody leaving the U.S.? I would leave the U.S. after living in Illinois from PTSD.

I would imagine that Chicago would join S.F., L.A. and N.Y.C. in having the desirable areas becoming unaffordable--attracting the über-wealthy, and the undesirable areas being full of middle-class (and lower) people struggling to get by. The pretty skyline by the lake will attract the scenesters and groupies of the global titans for sure!
People have been saying FL will be gone in the future for decades now, and it's never even remotely happened. It's non-sense, IMO. If it does happen, it probably won't happen for hundreds of years.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
"It isn’t just the wealthy, who tend to be older, leaving. A new study by demographer William Frey of the migration patterns of millennials (those aged 22 to 38) found that Chicago ranks as the third-least attractive among the nation’s 53 largest metro areas, losing an average of nearly 19,000 more young adults than it gains every year."

At this rate, city should be pretty much abandoned by 2050.
Me of twenty years ago: "Chicago? I'm going to Paris!"

Me of today: "You are going to need every Whitewalker in the goddamned world before I am forced to live in San Francisco."

Old 08-19-2019, 09:32 PM

381 posts, read 349,425 times
Quote:
People have been saying FL will be gone in the future for decades now, and it's never even remotely happened. It's non-sense, IMO. If it does happen, it probably won't happen for hundreds of years.
Eh. It's not like the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago