U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:00 PM

28,589 posts, read 27,799,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
1234 W. Randolph - 16 Stories "Standard Hotel"

They scaled it back from the original 23 story, 304' zoning app. 300' would have been a substantial addition, now it's just yet another 12-18 story West Loop building that will fall in rather than stand out. It's time for some extra height in this area. I don't know why Related is dragging their feet so badly with their near 500'er and 630' towers in Fulton Market. There's been no news surrounding either 400 N. LSD or The 78...They went from teeming with activity to stagnant rather suddenly.

The design is average, developers are going overboard on the faux-warehouse style, enough with all the brick. Every building does not need to serve as an homage to the West Loop's industrial past.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/a_vh...234_Rand.0.jpg
I actually like the idea of going for some consistency in a neighborhood sometimes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 06:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,485,545 times
I guess these developers haven't got the memo that the whole State is going down the drain and anyone investing in Illinois property will go broke.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:28 PM

465 posts, read 289,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I actually like the idea of going for some consistency in a neighborhood sometimes.
Agreed. The brick is nice in the west loop, and the increasing variety of brick styles gives it a great feel.

This new proposal is OK - this area needs some more density all this way towards Ashland. Alhambra is going to get a lot more foot traffic with that many hotel units next door.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:51 PM

327 posts, read 128,617 times
800 W. Lake - 20 Stories - Hotel

This looks to be pretty reminiscent of GREC's other project at 845 W. Madison from what I can see of the window walls and cladding.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/3Rkn...00_w._Lake.png

https://blockclubchicago.org/wp-cont...-AM.png?w=1024

Old 11-20-2019, 05:28 PM

400 N. Aberdeen: 16 Stories - 260'

Here is an image showing the massing for projects under construction and proposed in the West Loop. Not sure if all are included as there are so many it's nearly impossible to keep track. If all or even most of these projects are completed the West Loop is going to be perhaps the best urban space in the city. The scale of transformation here is mind boggling and of course more and more proposals will surface in the future.

The new proposal is center left in the picture.

Last edited by IronWright; 11-20-2019 at 05:42 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 08:14 PM

West Loop/Fulton Market still on fire during the pandemic with groundbreakings, proposals and completions.

Finally site demo & prep for 166 N. Aberdeen

----20 FL---- 241 ft.

This building is right around the corner from 1043 Fulton Market which has broken ground this week. Unfortunately the 6 story Pendry Hotel was cut and the windows were made wider for a more wareshouse-y look and the brick was switched to red from white/grey which was significantly better. The argyle glass shapes have also been severely minimized with less fins that are smaller reducing the affect. Fulton Market has a very bad habit of homogenizing projects.

1400 W. Randolph broke ground

----26 FL----276 ft.

Finally a 47 story tower was proposed for the parking lot fornting the Kennedy on Desplaines

Old 12-10-2020, 09:08 AM

881 posts, read 485,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
West Loop/Fulton Market still on fire during the pandemic with groundbreakings, proposals and completions.
How??? This is very surprising. On the one hand we have a nationwide housing shortage but on the other we definitely have a post-covid trend away from urban centers to secondary mid-tier cities and suburbs. There is a huge glut in Chicago high rises. The rent in my building is still down 20-25% from a year ago so is this simply fueled by cheap money and nothing else to invest in?

Old 12-10-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
How??? This is very surprising. On the one hand we have a nationwide housing shortage but on the other we definitely have a post-covid trend away from urban centers to secondary mid-tier cities and suburbs. There is a huge glut in Chicago high rises. The rent in my building is still down 20-25% from a year ago so is this simply fueled by cheap money and nothing else to invest in?
Fulton Market is like an economy unto itself apart from the greater Chicago market. Construction has been full-steam for the better part of a decade now.

One difference that I've notcied is with Fulton Market developers are more than ok with building on spec which almost never happens in any other neighborhood. There have been a few recent building flips there where the returns were astronomical.

I think developers are seeing that with the timeline for construction projects we should be post-Covid.

A couple buildings that I didn't mention that have broken ground or are being prepped during the pandemic:

400 N. Aberdeen/Under Construction: 242'

19 N. May/Site Prep 15 Stories - 240'

1440 W. Randolph - Demo/Prep - 11 Stories

1400 W. Monroe/Under Constrcution: Condos.. 7 stories - 90'

Last edited by IronWright; 12-10-2020 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-10-2020, 04:04 PM

881 posts, read 485,695 times
I love seeing the west loop / fulton market development continuing. All of those buildings generally look the same though and I agree with your posts that we need more unique mid and high rise buildings designs / aesthetics. I think these developers are going to get killed unless they're factoring in reduced rent / demand in a post-covid world. If these buildings still work given reduced economics then that makes sense. But the mid tier cities and sun belt is where future demand will boom. Put these buildings in Austin or Nashville and it makes sense. In doesn't in NYC, Chicago or San Fran. Remote work is to big cities what online shopping is to retail. While we will be past covid and on the upswing when these buildings are completed...these developers will find that the tenants will be in another city completely...and if any of these buildings are meant for commercial tenants...lookout below.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 272,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I love seeing the west loop / fulton market development continuing. All of those buildings generally look the same though and I agree with your posts that we need more unique mid and high rise buildings designs / aesthetics. I think these developers are going to get killed unless they're factoring in reduced rent / demand in a post-covid world. If these buildings still work given reduced economics then that makes sense. But the mid tier cities and sun belt is where future demand will boom. Put these buildings in Austin or Nashville and it makes sense. In doesn't in NYC, Chicago or San Fran. Remote work is to big cities what online shopping is to retail. While we will be past covid and on the upswing when these buildings are completed...these developers will find that the tenants will be in another city completely...and if any of these buildings are meant for commercial tenants...lookout below.
Sometime I wonder if some people believe Northern cities should get NO INVESTMENT and fall of the US map.

Well, everyone is not going to move to Austin, Nashville, Dallas, Houston , Atlanta Charlotte and others. Why do some belive a city that beat the odds and defied doomsayers .... will have everyone just stop investing and abandon a KEY American city as if the American way and it is about Politics even for them?

Only in America do extreme ideas actually wish some cities die. Nothing surprises me. It is like they believe the Midwest should have us abandoned our legacy cities like should be abandined and worthless to invest in....

They dared to give NYC Death Bed final prayers in the 70s. Great the World's investors thought otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago