U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 02:54 PM

464 posts, read 289,312 times

Advertisements

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/west...on-development

What are the thoughts on west loop construction on C-D? Do we think this neighborhood will be better in 10 years? Or too crowded?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 04:16 PM

136 posts, read 50,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/west...on-development

What are the thoughts on west loop construction on C-D? Do we think this neighborhood will be better in 10 years? Or too crowded?
I think it's overall a positive, so long as these developments continue to be primarily low-mid rise, and the high rise development is focused in the South Loop or Near North Side. IMO, Chicago's skyline should continue to run flat along the lake-front like it has for decades, instead of wildly sprawled all over the place. Not to mention, a big part of the appeal to the West Loop/Near West Side are the breathtaking views of the skyline from rooftop bars/restaurants/hangouts.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,173,179 times
Well as someone who owns a business that's been operating in the West loop for 23 years it is a daily nightmare. I can't wait to leave. I honestly don't understand the appeal of the West loop as a place to live. It's quite ugly. But, to each their own. I will just be so happy to never set foot in that neighborhood again

Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 AM

12,575 posts, read 14,522,153 times
It will continue to boom and move west in the process.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:56 AM

9,892 posts, read 14,854,946 times
I'm amazed it hasn't happened sooner. Anything that close to the CBD will attract professionals too busy for a long commute. It is a 10 minute ride on the Green/Pink/Blue line or bus into the heart of the loop.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:41 PM

6,360 posts, read 7,363,996 times
I read it yesterday. Scrolling down it was like waiting for a freight train to pass. There is no way all those projects are happening in the West Loop. My guess? Curbed covers about 12 cities; four of them got stuck into that article with Chicago by mistake.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:52 PM

464 posts, read 289,312 times
When I walk around the west loop, there are still so many low-slung buildings filled with restaurants/coffee/pastries/ice cream/clothing/shopping that I wonder whether these will continue to exist in the future.. will there be dense 400-500ft places + 2 story old brick buildings? Or will everything loopify?

Old 08-19-2019, 07:05 PM

881 posts, read 485,695 times
The West Loop will be "better" in 10 years because development is always a good thing. Randolph and Fulton Market have been a great addition to the city and the best restaurants and night life can be found in the West Loop giving River North a run for its money.

The West Loop will also be "worse" in 10 years. It's such an urban area and the lack of green and outdoor space for such a densely populated area (albeit recently) in that area is why I would never live there. Also it's way too far from the lake and the River walk. Admittedly I'm just not a West of 90 North of 290 guy for those reasons...especially when you get all those benefits for often cheaper in prime areas along east coast.

Which leads to my last point...anyone wondering whether the west side or south side will gentrify first needs to only look at the West Loop. Lacks all the beauty of the lakefront and is still where people are moving too...

Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 AM

795 posts, read 665,023 times
fulton market is already too crowded. that's why they put so many stop signs and traffic lights on lake street around halsted. I anticipate it to get much worse as they keep adding more housing in that area.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 AM

612 posts, read 244,951 times
The Nobu Hotel Chicago is scheduled to open in Oct. in the Randolph Market area. It will be located on Randolph St., west of Halsted.

This site will be Nobu's 5th US location. (And, its only Midwest outlet.) There will also be a Nobu sushi restaurant on the premises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago