Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

Another thing to add about this... Montrose is sort of the North/South dividing line between "good Uptown" and "bad Uptown" once you get east of Broadway. If you were to walk east from that location, you would be between the southern border of Sheridan Park (mostly safe) and the wall of Graceland Cemetary (safe except on a full moon). Once you get east of the cemetary, you are on the edge of Buena Park (safe) and the cruddiest part of Uptown--and basically in the middle of a Jewel parking lot. My wife and I both walk Montrose at many times of the day and night, and it's generally O.K.

If you are worried about crime in Uptown, the worst place to be is between Broadway and the Lake, and from Montrose to Lawrence. The housing around Argyle Street is also a bit sketchy, and there are some badly run nursing homes for the mentally ill in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Trying to say that the area around Wilson and Broadway is not crap is ridiculous.
Never said that! It's the armpit of Uptown, to be sure. But it's nothing like Ashland and Montrose. You're as likely to get mugged by a Wilson/Broadway resident at Wrigley Field as you are at Montrose and Ashland!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
That area is fine.

Also, that area is technically Uptown, but is right next to Ravenswood. (And yes. That area around Ravenswood Ave is most definitley Ravenswood or Ravenswood Gardens. Ravenswood Manor is a whole different beast, and really part of Albany Park. If you're talking about "Ravenswood", though, that's the area you're talking about.) Personally, I feel like even with the Metra tracks there, Ashland is a more pronounced dividing line than Ravenswood Ave.

I'll also say that I agree that Uptown isn't that bad. My ex (typical cute white girl) lived at Sheridan and Foster for years and never had any issues beyond the occasional cat call from a crazy person.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Another thing to add about this... Montrose is sort of the North/South dividing line between "good Uptown" and "bad Uptown" once you get east of Broadway. If you were to walk east from that location, you would be between the southern border of Sheridan Park (mostly safe) and the wall of Graceland Cemetary (safe except on a full moon). Once you get east of the cemetary, you are on the edge of Buena Park (safe) and the cruddiest part of Uptown--and basically in the middle of a Jewel parking lot. My wife and I both walk Montrose at many times of the day and night, and it's generally O.K.

If you are worried about crime in Uptown, the worst place to be is between Broadway and the Lake, and from Montrose to Lawrence. The housing around Argyle Street is also a bit sketchy, and there are some badly run nursing homes for the mentally ill in the area.
I could not have said it better myself!

Thanks for elaborating more. I could have myself, but I was too tired to do so earlier. I cannot disagree with that description. You do know that I live by you dont you? lol

Perhaps things get lost in translation sometimes.;-)

Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Lake View H.S. is technically in Uptown.
It was built of course when the neighborhood of Uptown did not exist yet.
Yeah, we're in Lakeview Township--which is left over from the original suburb of Lakeview. I think the school was built after Lakeview was annexed into Chicago, however.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Quote:
...there are some badly run nursing homes for the mentally ill in the area.
More than I wanted to thing about -- but we can hope that someday soon a certain Ravenswood Manor resident gets checked in there. -- recall recall recall!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
More than I wanted to thing about -- but we can hope that someday soon a certain Ravenswood Manor resident gets checked in there. -- recall recall recall!!!
This should be a top priority of anyone in the state that has a brain.
Also,if we could only get the power to recall county and city officials...

Urkel here we come!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we're in Lakeview Township--which is left over from the original suburb of Lakeview. I think the school was built after Lakeview was annexed into Chicago, however.
The first building was built in 1874. Annex of Lake View Township happened in 1889. The existing building was built...I will let you know when I find out, but I think off hand it was between 1883-1897...I think it actually is on the building...lol... I will look tomorrow...

Yet still Uptown was not a neighborhood until the early 1900's...and not fully recognized until the 20's...

Not that it all really matters, it is named Lake View H.S. for the town and township not for the neighborhood...;-)

Old 04-16-2008, 10:07 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,394 times
I will probably not be heading east of Clark for anything anyway...thanks for all the things you've had to share so far! I am leaning towards getting this apartment.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
I will probably not be heading east of Clark for anything anyway...thanks for all the things you've had to share so far! I am leaning towards getting this apartment.
I do not see why you should not get it(of course I have not looked at it but...):-) I used to live by Wilson and Paulina...I thought the area was ok even in the late 90's....

Good luck.

If you need more help let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago