Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:22 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times

Advertisements

KB71, I do kind of like Jefferson Park! I've heard someone else I know recommend Gale Street Inn, but never went! Maybe I'll check it out one day... damba, I'll give you my full report! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
KB71, I do kind of like Jefferson Park! I've heard someone else I know recommend Gale Street Inn, but never went! Maybe I'll check it out one day... damba, I'll give you my full report! Master Jay in Milwaukee
It's not bad. I was lured in by the commercials. I was hoping it would be kind of a hidden gem in terms of food. The old school look of the place was interesting, but the food was just fine and didn't stand out.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:38 AM

ChicagoMeO, a restaurant row of sorts in Wheeling, and then Vernon Hills, and YES to Libertyville. I became a fan of Libertyville when I had car issues en route to Chicago and had to drop off my car to get fixed. My kids and I discovered Casa Bonita. LOVE IT! And I do enjoy the strip of shops between Casa Bonita and their library. Kind of reminds me of Lincoln Square Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM

fusillirob1983, then you, TOO, will get my full report, Sir! - Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-23-2019, 08:55 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Libertyville...wow that brings back some memories. I had a friend who loved up there and Mickey Finns just opened. The beer was so good compared to the other swill we had been exposed to. It was the first place I ever took a growler to go.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:26 AM

hendersj31, I have never been to that Mickey Finns, but have been to the one in Gurnee, where Milwaukee Avenue stops (or starts, depending on how you look at it!). The history of Edison Park neighborhood in Chicago, which touches Milwaukee Avenue very slightly, says the Ebinger family was en route to Milwaukee and the horse was bit by a rattlesnake so they decided to set up home in that area! And I discovered Libertyville because I had car problems and had to pull into a Midas to get it repaired. Kind of a parallel story ... Well, i do love Libertyville to date! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-29-2019, 09:20 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Hops and Barley, Fishman Public House, Live Wire Lounge, Dante’s Pizza, Gale Street Inn, The Boozehound at Wayland Station, Revolution Brewery, The Robey, Pint, Cumin, The Standard, Links, Frontier, Kurowskis Sausage Shop, The Harding Tavern, Rocking Horse, The Logan Theater, The Windsor Tavern. I could go on, but these are all places along Milwaukee Ave that I enjoy frequenting.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:45 AM

quigboto, thank you for sharing. Youre right! Theres no shortage of goodies on Milwaukee! Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 09-29-2019, 11:59 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
hendersj31, I have never been to that Mickey Finns, but have been to the one in Gurnee, where Milwaukee Avenue stops (or starts, depending on how you look at it!). The history of Edison Park neighborhood in Chicago, which touches Milwaukee Avenue very slightly, says the Ebinger family was en route to Milwaukee and the horse was bit by a rattlesnake so they decided to set up home in that area! And I discovered Libertyville because I had car problems and had to pull into a Midas to get it repaired. Kind of a parallel story ... Well, i do love Libertyville to date! Master Jay in Milwaukee
For places out in Edison Park, I love Don Juan's, which has been a Mexican restaurant that's been there for years. And of course for anyone who's ever eaten there, they are famous for putting puns on their sign, i.e. Summer is Juanderful, etc.

As for Gale Street Inn, I liked eating there when I did in the past. Too bad to hear others didn't have good experiences, when they ate there. I hope that restaurant has been keeping up their standards, and hasn't slowly been letting them slide! Also I know another person mention Wheeling's restaurant row, and while that area is nice, it seems like there isn't as much of a concentration of restaurants in that area vs. years ago, when it was greater. Like when you think about restaurants that used to exist out there and now have shuttered, i.e. Le Francais(sp?, don't know if I'm spelling it right but it was a well known French restaurant in business till about 2007). At least Bob Chinn's is still around, though.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:43 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
There is a soon-to-be-published book, which is titled 'Milwaukee Ave.' Its author is Kevin Coval and the illustrator is Langston Allston.

This book will focus on what is and what's been removed from this storied Chicago street. It's scheduled to be released this fall by Haymarket Books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago