Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:51 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,320,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I've lived a couple blocks from the Congress for 4 years (and have been visiting the area for a lot longer than that) and it is a generally safe area. I've never felt threatened at all, only mildly annoyed by homeless people on occasion. There was some drug dealing and a little gang activity in the past, but the area has changed a lot over the last 5-10 years. At his point the area is gentrifying pretty rapidly, with a new nightclub, a brewpub, and a new bar from the owners of the Northside Grill and Black Beetle opening over the next year. Not sure what concert is there tonight, but there was a group of 10 or so people camped out overnight in front of the Theater last night. They seemed to have made it through the entire night without any trouble.

As far as car break ins go - yeah. There are a couple of middle aged guys who target cars during shows at the Congress, I've seen them breaking into cars and called the cops on them a couple times. I've also seen them around the Riviera during shows there. Parking in the CVS or Chase School lots are your best bet - or even better, don't keep a lot of valuables in your car in the city, in any neighborhood.
I'm not doubting any of that. My car break-in story was just one example, and I fully believe it was isolated. Just passing along the message...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 PM

16 posts, read 80,001 times
the congress isn't really too bad of an area. i recall going to shows there and at the fireside, which is sort of nearby, when i was in high school (about 4 years ago).

the only thing is, i seem to have noticed that there are a lot of car break-ins at these events because criminals figure kids from the burbs will be coming in with nice rides and maybe even leaving them unlocked. my friend got an ipod jacked from the logan square auditorium about a year ago. as a solution, i recommend stashing anything remotely valuable - actually, anything at all - out of sight from the windows. lock stuff in the trunk or put small stuff under the seat and keep your wits about you while you're walking around there.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:40 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,633,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey View Post
the congress isn't really too bad of an area. i recall going to shows there and at the fireside, which is sort of nearby, when i was in high school (about 4 years ago).

the only thing is, i seem to have noticed that there are a lot of car break-ins at these events because criminals figure kids from the burbs will be coming in with nice rides and maybe even leaving them unlocked. my friend got an ipod jacked from the logan square auditorium about a year ago. as a solution, i recommend stashing anything remotely valuable - actually, anything at all - out of sight from the windows. lock stuff in the trunk or put small stuff under the seat and keep your wits about you while you're walking around there.
I would do that anywhere in the city. It's just city-living common sense. Even leaving an empty bag in your car is just asking for a break-in.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:44 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,633,522 times
I've never had problems going to shows at the Congress. But that stretch of Milwaukee Avenue can get pretty shifty. A couple of months ago I was driving from th Logan Square Monument southeast on Milwaukee and saw at least four or five arrests in progress. And we're talking about guns drawn hands on the hood kinds of arrests. I remember commenting to my wife that Logan Square still has a long way to go. It's undeniable that it is getting better and that there have been many improvements even just recently, but it's still a gang-infested urban neighborhood with higher crime than most suburbanites would be comfortable with. Lincoln Park it is not!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,320,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I would do that anywhere in the city. It's just city-living common sense. Even leaving an empty bag in your car is just asking for a break-in.
Very true. However, like I said, even beyond that, my friends who got their stuff stolen near the congress had all of their valuables out of sight and in the locked trunk. Even if nothing had been in the trunk, they still would have had their lock drilled and their junk rifled through.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,950,339 times
Default City sticker /out of state plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Very true. However, like I said, even beyond that, my friends who got their stuff stolen near the congress had all of their valuables out of sight and in the locked trunk. Even if nothing had been in the trunk, they still would have had their lock drilled and their junk rifled through.
When I filed a police report after my car was stolen near McClurg Ct Theaters many years ago the police said that there was an pattern of thieves hitting "non local" cars in certain areas. The vehicle was eventually recovered way out in Bellwood. It had been stripped -- probably pros, into the property crime aspect of things...

Maybe a good argument to be dropped off?

Would public transit be a good compromise? What time does the show get out?

Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
If you or another parent are willing to drop off and pick up I wouldn't hesitate in the least. The kids might complain about it, but if they realize that's the only way they're going, I'm sure they'll get on board real fast.

I sure thought I was lame getting dropped off in my mom's minivan at a venue in St. Louis to see the Deftones, but at the end of the day, I knew it was worth it!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
I wouldn't let teenagers wander around that area at night. Daytime -- sure. Nighttime -- I don't think so. Go to the show and then get on the train and go somewhere else. Or at the very least, if they do wander around, they should wander southeast down Milwaukee rather than northwest.

There isn't a lot for teenagers to do in that immediate area at night anyway, so there's no reason for them to be wandering around there. Maybe they could wander to Arturo's and grab a burrito... other than that, what can teenagers do at night around there after the show lets out?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 PM

55 posts, read 273,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
other than that, what can teenagers do at night around there after the show lets out?
buy rocks.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,435,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeChicagoan View Post
buy rocks.
along with weed,coke,heroin,and hire prostitutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago