Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 07:51 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
That is nowhere near the neighborhoods in question.
lol...is he talking about the Marianos on Lawrence close to Lincoln Square? hahaha..thats like at least 5 -6 miles or more away from Harlem alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 07:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Here in Jeff Park I see them fly over all the time. I watch them at night from my window lined up. I can see as many as 20 planes lined up sometimes as many as 3, side by side and and they just keep coming. It's really cool.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:13 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I used to live on the 49th floor of the high rise at Irving Park and Lakeshore Drive which is directly in line with the current flight path. It was extremely common for me to watch my building pass by underneath me from my airplane window .

We frequently heard airplanes but it was rarely loud. When it was loud it always frightened us because it usually meant they were flying really low over the building and thus always scared us they would crash into the building.

I live on the north side Park Ridge now. The south end hears airplanes all of the time since they are so close to the flight path, even worse than norwood park. On the north side though, we only hear them when there is inclement weather for two reasons 1) They typically all shift to using north/south runways and 2) They tend to take longer to gain altitude for some reason.

I highly doubt the noise of airplanes would be much of a nuisance in the neighborhoods you're speaking of given my experiences. Especially when you compare it to the amount of general traffic noise that exists in Chicago.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
I lived in Niles growing up and often the noise from the planes was so bad you couldn't keep your window open at night or have a conversation with your neighbor in the back yard. However, they changed the runways and flight paths so it got much better the last decade or so before I moved away.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I lived in Niles growing up and often the noise from the planes was so bad you couldn't keep your window open at night or have a conversation with your neighbor in the back yard. However, they changed the runways and flight paths so it got much better the last decade or so before I moved away.
Also the planes have gotten much quieter over the years.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

I know the flight paths have changed but has it really been for the better? Looking at flightradar24, it seems they force planes to hold at low altitudes (around 4000 ft) for a VERY long time after take off. So they frequently pass over North suburbs like Arlington Heights, Glenview, even as far as friggin Glencoe at 4000ft. That's got to be bothersome for people to have a 747 freight roar overhead at 4000ft on full throttle or am I missing something?

Old 10-08-2019, 11:24 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
If you look at airports with flight patterns similar to ORD (like DFW or ATL), they don't force planes that take off to stay at a ridiculously low altitude for so long. They just climb right up... never got why they do this stupid hold-below-5000ft thing at ORD. We're talking after takeoff.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
I know the flight paths have changed but has it really been for the better? Looking at flightradar24, it seems they force planes to hold at low altitudes (around 4000 ft) for a VERY long time after take off. So they frequently pass over North suburbs like Arlington Heights, Glenview, even as far as friggin Glencoe at 4000ft. That's got to be bothersome for people to have a 747 freight roar overhead at 4000ft on full throttle or am I missing something?
It's really not that bad for me. But I'm also not next to the airport. My in-laws are and my MIL hates the noise they generate over her house in Park Ridge. Many homes in the area qualify for noise insulation windows by the airport. I'm not sure what you're getting at but the answer depends on how close you are. Areas like Glencoe would have very little airplane noise. No more than what you hear occasionally on the ground when visiting urban areas, just more often probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
If you look at airports with flight patterns similar to ORD (like DFW or ATL), they don't force planes that take off to stay at a ridiculously low altitude for so long. They just climb right up... never got why they do this stupid hold-below-5000ft thing at ORD. We're talking after takeoff.
No idea why rules like this would be in place except to guess it's related to the amount of flight traffic in/out? Might make it easier to spot their approach from the tower.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,805 times
I grew up in Archer Heights about a mile from Midway and in a flight path. The noise was unreal when an ATA 727 took off over 55th and Cicero. I now live in Uptown near Sunnyside and Clark. There are a lot of planes passing over my building on their way to O'Hare. At times it is loud enough to have to turn up the TV or talk louder if you're outside talking, but it is nothing like what I experienced growing up. So to answer the question, yes it's noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago