Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 05:55 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Good day, I saw a posting on Face Book yesterday regarding Mr. Jean Paul LaPierre, of Boston, who was in Chicago last Sunday for the marathon. Unless I missed it, I was surprised I did not see much on him and the story, on city-data.com, in Chicago. There was video footage (which is always "interesting" when people have time to record, yet otherwise do NOT want to get involved to help people out in bad situations). But I extend a great THANK YOU to Mr. Jean Paul LaPierre, for his bravery and dedication to helping the same people that offered HIM no assistance. I'm glad no physical harm came to anyone from this. I'm curious what are others' thoughts on this situation? Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 04:30 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Mr. LaPierre makes the grade for what constitutes a "hero" in my book. Lucky he wasn't shot, I wonder if the gun was real or loaded? The perp seemed to give it up a little too easily. Shame on the people who stood around, they could have at least stood up and backed up Jean Paul verbally, increasing the intimidation factor on the perp to stop resisting. I'm not a typical rider on the CTA, are CCW (guns) banned on trains and buses?

Old 10-17-2019, 04:41 PM

Curly Q. Bobalink. How are you? In Milwaukee I stopped a man choking a woman on the sidewalk, and 3 men beating one man in the grass. And there have been other examples. In Chicago I intervened a man abusively berating a woman in Lincoln Square. Its "amazing" how no one else wants to offer assistance. People either walk by or record it. So when I saw the report on Mr. LaPierre, it was refreshing to know others do care enough to stand up against the perpetrators. You raise a good question on the CCW laws. Lets wait for an answer from another contributor. Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-17-2019, 06:31 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Curly Q. Bobalink. How are you? In Milwaukee I stopped a man choking a woman on the sidewalk, and 3 men beating one man in the grass. And there have been other examples. In Chicago I intervened a man abusively berating a woman in Lincoln Square. Its "amazing" how no one else wants to offer assistance. People either walk by or record it. So when I saw the report on Mr. LaPierre, it was refreshing to know others do care enough to stand up against the perpetrators. You raise a good question on the CCW laws. Lets wait for an answer from another contributor. Have a great day! Master Jay in Milwaukee
Nope, thank goodness. No CCW allowed on CTA or Metra. What a disaster that could be.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 PM

damba, and thank goodness that the man committing the crime that completely ignored the law, and brought a gun on the train was swiftly dealt with! I wish more people would follow the law, and I wish more people would stand up to people who dont value safety laws! There ARE plenty of good people out there Peace! Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
The only time I got into the middle of a bad situation was when my next door neighbor was choking out his girlfriend in the driveway one evening. I only needed to holler "Dude, WTF" at him to get him to stop, I think he respected me because I was older than he was (good thing, he went at probably 275 lbs.) She split when he stopped, but was back for more the next day, what can you do?

Good to know on the "CTA / CCW" thing, I was thinking that the guy was a bit brazen openly robbing people even knowing that some could be carrying themselves. Too bad there isn't a way to ban guns on the train without the Bad Guys knowing about it - as the previous poster stated, I wouldn't want to be in a closed space with a couple of guys having a gunfight, myself. It would be interesting to follow this case through the courts to see what happens to the perp, but "time". My guess is he's back on the streets fairly quickly.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Curly Q. Bobalink, THANK YOU for stepping in to help that lady, when you did! As far as her going back, it's not your fault she chose to remain in a toxic and dangerous relationship. I hope she realized that the moment you were there, you very well saved her life! What she chose to do after that is her chosen destiny, then. But thank you, Sir, for helping her when YOU had the chance!.. In Wisconsin, I have a CCW license, but it is really because I transport swords, knives, and nunchakus... As far as the L train case goes, whatever happens to him is HIS destiny. It could be a slap on the wrist OR jail time. We shall see what the judge bestows... Again, Mr. La Pierre is a true hero, for me! Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 10-17-2019, 07:13 PM

[envisioning MJ, hiking along the summerfest lakefront, with nunchuks sticking out of a waistband ]

Old 10-17-2019, 07:20 PM

damba, the bad thing is: I probably did that more as a youth, pre-CCW Nunchakus, butterfly knives, etc. I tell you, it's a miracle I was able to be hired to work in the jail system. My record is actually very very clean! I guess that was MY destiny. I turned my life around to help people in similar situations... I don't usually do Summerfest, probably because Im always coming down to Chicago fests! But if youre ever near Milwaukee and see the guy with nunchucks in back pocket, it very well might BE Master Jay!!!

Old 10-17-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
damba, the bad thing is: I probably did that more as a youth, pre-CCW Nunchakus, butterfly knives, etc. I tell you, it's a miracle I was able to be hired to work in the jail system. My record is actually very very clean! I guess that was MY destiny. I turned my life around to help people in similar situations... I don't usually do Summerfest, probably because Im always coming down to Chicago fests! But if youre ever near Milwaukee and see the guy with nunchucks in back pocket, it very well might BE Master Jay!!!
I was under the impression that they just hired you one day since you spent so much time there as a youth

J/K!

Saludos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: