Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:25 PM

107 posts, read 358,907 times

Advertisements

I am going to a concert next Friday at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, Indiana. My girlfriend will be driving from Buena Park (Uptown) and I will be working in River North. Instead of going through the madness of Michigan Avenue traffic on a Friday rush, she would like to pick me up at a train stop on the way to Merrillville. I figure she can either pick me up at a southside Red Line stop or one of the Gary stops along the South Shore Line. The former would be more convenient since Red Line is more frequent and a little closer to my job. What do you all think of either plan in terms of safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM

72 posts, read 143,928 times
No need to worry is all I have to say.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
I think your best bet MIGHT be one of the South Shore line stops in or near Hammond (Indiana). This area is not as high crime as some of the south side neighborhoods (near the Red Line), and certainly not as bad as Gary (Indiana). Plus, the area is mostly industrial and way less congested than most of the south side neighborhoods near the Red Line which also happen to be near the very congested Dan Ryan (90 / 94) expressway. Maybe have her take Lake Shore Drive down to the Skyway (via Stony Island) over into Hammond. Not sure how the waiting area is over there or IF there's a waiting area there, but this could be an idea. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
I am going to a concert next Friday at the Star Plaza Theatre in Merrillville, Indiana. My girlfriend will be driving from Buena Park (Uptown) and I will be working in River North. Instead of going through the madness of Michigan Avenue traffic on a Friday rush, she would like to pick me up at a train stop on the way to Merrillville. I figure she can either pick me up at a southside Red Line stop or one of the Gary stops along the South Shore Line. The former would be more convenient since Red Line is more frequent and a little closer to my job. What do you all think of either plan in terms of safety?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,282,553 times
If you're not familiar with the area you probably don't want to get off the red line south of 35 Street/Sox.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,583 times
The Garfield stop usually has loads of U of C-affiliated people waiting on the Garfield bus to go to Hyde Park. As long as you just wait at the bus stop, it's not bad, especially if it's daylight. However, I'm not sure if that's sufficiently far out enough to avoid the traffic jams.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:00 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
You could take the Metra Electric line to Homewood then cut over into Indiana.
Out of Homewood you can drive interstate 80 to Interstate 65 S. into Merrillville.
Another route Dixie Hwy to Lincln HWY(u.s.30 ) all the way to Merrillville

Just a warning if your not familiar with U.S. 30 ton of stop lights and alot of stop and go traffic all the way to Merrillville
so just allow time.

If you take the South Shore line Hammond is a decent station.

Electric line would go out of millenium and south shore line

Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 PM

289 posts, read 897,489 times
The area around Garfield/55th Street Red Line is very busy. If you get there before her then you can stand right by the attendant's station and you'll be fine. You'll actually be fine standing outside, but if you're a chicken you can stand by the attendant.

There is a Wendy's and four gas stations on Garfield W of the stop. There is a strip mall E of the stop. If your friend gets there before you she can wait on either side. People mind their own business and your friend won't be a sitting duck waiting 10 minutes for your train.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:22 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,071,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy2 View Post
That would take way, way longer in the car than meeting at one of the Hammond or Gary South Shore stops, precisely because of the traffic on 30 that you mention. Maybe up to an hour longer, even. I would definitely not recommend this.
But I 80 to Merriville wouldn't.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:12 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times
The 95th street stop along the red line is reasonable safe during the day, but is crowed and lacks parking. To get further south you would have to drive a short ways east down 103rd street to stony as there is no southbound lane to 94 at 95th street. A better stop would be 87th, but then that doesn’t leave much time/space to get into the correct lane for Indiana on the Dan Ryan in traffic and further north why bother?

I think taking the commuter rail makes a bit more sense. The expressway at 95th is just beginning to clear of traffic. The commuter rail stations probably should have parking and are just less crowed.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy2 View Post
I've never taken the Red Line further south than Sox/IIT, but I can't imagine it being too bad at that time, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
If you're not familiar with the area you probably don't want to get off the red line south of 35 Street/Sox.
Mercy! There's an entire city below 35th street with folks getting along each day.

In your situation I would advise getting picked up at 87th street since it is a bear getting back on the Bishop Ford if you get off at 95th street. The 87th street Red Line stop is usually well-populated because that is where the bootleg man offers his wares for your low-cost movie viewing enjoyment. It is also where folks sell various papers ("The Final Call"), bags of peanuts and blowup dolls. The bucket boys play there, too. The Garfield stop has fewer places to stand and fewer mercantile shops.

In essence, the Red Line stops south of 35th street are in well-populated areas not unfriendly to outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: