Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 AM

352 posts, read 550,908 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if anyone who'd moved from Pittsburgh to Chicago had any thoughts they could share on the similarities and differences between the two cities (other than obviously size.. culture, people, things to do, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 11:55 AM

749 posts, read 580,342 times
I lived in Pittsburgh but long ago.
I can't comment on the city now.
Back then, I cannot see anything in common with Chicago
except for the most basic things: multi-ethnic, distinct neighborhoods,
very good universities. Chicago is more racially diverse.
It is much easier to show big differences in every category.
Pittsburgh is and was much less sophisticated especially in the arts, cuisine,
business, architecture. Not as quaint as Pittsburgh.
The scenery between the two areas is hugely different, whether you like hiking or water sports.
Chicago is a huge sports city, and so is Pitt for the pirates and steelers, penguins.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:11 AM

34 posts, read 27,581 times
Chicago doesn't put french fries on its sandwiches.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:03 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedMiltman View Post
Yuck. One of those current trends that I just don't understand. IMO, French fries should stay in their own neighborhood.

I wonder whatever happened to Drover who used to post here? He lived in Pittsburgh for a period of time, IIRC, and he could probably shed some light on the similarities/differences.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,406,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedMiltman View Post
Lucky's would like to have a word with you.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:23 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, been living in Chicago the last 8 years, moving back to Pittsburgh next year. I love both of these cities and you can’t go wrong with living in either.

I know you said not to mention Chicago’s size, but it’s pretty important as a key difference between the two places. Chicago is just massive and makes Pittsburgh feel tiny after you’ve been living in Chicago for a while. The two cities do share commonalities though. Both cities feel like genuine unique places that have deep roots and strong history. They’re both great sports cities. Both cities’ biggest strengths are their unique and varying city neighborhoods that all have a distinct feel. You’ll find great cultural amenities in both places.

Both places have great food scenes, but the sheer amount of options you have in Chicago will leave you stunned and almost overwhelmed. Chicago has excellent public transit compared to Pittsburgh, though Pittsburgh isn’t that bad for a city of its size in the US. Both cities have very beautiful natural settings. Chicago has Lake Michigan which is just spectacular and the urban corridor of the Chicago River as it feeds into town from the lake is amazing with the river walk. Pittsburgh’s lush greenery, rivers and hills along with its proximity to “real” outdoor recreation make it a better outdoors city, however. In a many ways Pittsburgh feels more “quirky”, in a good way. Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s just a subjective feeling I get.

Both cities are excellent, and my move back brings bittersweet emotions. I can’t truly say which is better than the other. They are just different. Chicago obviously has all of the big city amenities in spades over Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh has its own uniqueness and natural beauty that make me love it just as much. I wish I could afford to live in both, or just have Elon Musk build that darn magnetic bullet train!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:39 AM

34 posts, read 27,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Yuck. One of those current trends that I just don't understand. IMO, French fries should stay in their own neighborhood.
Primanti Brothers, in Pittsburgh, began putting french fries during the great depression as a way for the local workers to eat on the run.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, been living in Chicago the last 8 years, moving back to Pittsburgh next year. I love both of these cities and you can’t go wrong with living in either.

I know you said not to mention Chicago’s size, but it’s pretty important as a key difference between the two places. Chicago is just massive and makes Pittsburgh feel tiny after you’ve been living in Chicago for a while. The two cities do share commonalities though. Both cities feel like genuine unique places that have deep roots and strong history. They’re both great sports cities. Both cities’ biggest strengths are their unique and varying city neighborhoods that all have a distinct feel. You’ll find great cultural amenities in both places.

Both places have great food scenes, but the sheer amount of options you have in Chicago will leave you stunned and almost overwhelmed. Chicago has excellent public transit compared to Pittsburgh, though Pittsburgh isn’t that bad for a city of its size in the US. Both cities have very beautiful natural settings. Chicago has Lake Michigan which is just spectacular and the urban corridor of the Chicago River as it feeds into town from the lake is amazing with the river walk. Pittsburgh’s lush greenery, rivers and hills along with its proximity to “real” outdoor recreation make it a better outdoors city, however. In a many ways Pittsburgh feels more “quirky”, in a good way. Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s just a subjective feeling I get.

Both cities are excellent, and my move back brings bittersweet emotions. I can’t truly say which is better than the other. They are just different. Chicago obviously has all of the big city amenities in spades over Pittsburgh, but Pittsburgh has its own uniqueness and natural beauty that make me love it just as much. I wish I could afford to live in both, or just have Elon Musk build that darn magnetic bullet train!
Nice review!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago