Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:55 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
If homicides keep declining by about 15% every year like it has been since 2016, the city will be down to 350 for 2021, and 300 for 2022. By that time Chicago won't even have the most homicides of any US city. It will be eclipsed by Philadelphia, possibly Baltimore and Houston, and maybe even New York City. Then even if republicans still want to call it dangerous, at least they can't say it's the most dangerous anymore.
And if it still keeps declining after that, we'll have a negative homicide rate, with people coming back to life!

Old 11-21-2019, 05:16 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
And if it still keeps declining after that, we'll have a negative homicide rate, with people coming back to life!
The Walking Dead is coming to Chicago!

Old 11-26-2019, 12:20 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
At the same time, there are serious fiscal solvency issues at the local and state level which pose a threat the Chicago's long-term viability and desirability.
And wherever else they go in the United States, they're still in a country now 23 trillion dollars in debt, to the consternation of nobody who used to talk a lot about that kind of stuff before the definition of "conservative" mutated into personality cultism.

As for safety, I'm not hanging around places like Englewood or Garfield Park (the latter of which isn't all that far from me) after dark, but it's late when I get off work and I take CTA every day and night pretty much. All in all, in what I do, the people who are probably most dangerous to me are the douchecanoes who haul ass on their bikes on the sidewalks on Belmont/Milwaukee/Diversey at night, with no lights, dark clothes etc. I'd probably cap one or two of those guys myself if this city really was the Wild West shooting gallery it gets made out to be sometimes.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,606 times
Everybody in Chicago should know not venturing the South and West side greatly increases your odds of not becoming a victim of crime.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Everybody in Chicago should know not venturing the South and West side greatly increases your odds of not becoming a victim of crime.
Generalizing a bit much. The city officially classifies my spot as North Side, but I'm closer to Humboldt Park than I am to Lincoln Park.

"West side" in the crime/murder sense, the core of that would be south of about Division, west of about Kedzie, going south pretty much to the river. Those boundaries are fluid and keep contracting, which is part of the reason why there tend to be clusters of shootings in a small area like Austin. Even Austin is a big place and not all of it is bad.

South side, much of Bridgeport is fine, same with Hyde Park. South of Pershing and west of the Dan Ryan, things get rougher. There are still a few high rise housing projects left in the South Shore, but not as many as there used to be.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:19 AM

629 posts, read 542,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
If homicides keep declining by about 15% every year like it has been since 2016, the city will be down to 350 for 2021, and 300 for 2022. By that time Chicago won't even have the most homicides of any US city. It will be eclipsed by Philadelphia, possibly Baltimore and Houston, and maybe even New York City. Then even if republicans still want to call it dangerous, at least they can't say it's the most dangerous anymore.

I love how you cherry picked 2016.... 2016 was a record year for murders with an increase year over year from 468 in 2015 to 771! in 2016

2017 had 653 which is the highest number since 2002, and 2018 had 561 which is the highest number since 2003! Even this year 2019 we've had 467 already which puts us on pace for around 495 which is the highest since 2008

so yeah homicides would need to keep declining about 15% for a few more years to get back to your average numbers... I'm sure this trend will continue with "tough on crime" Kim Foxx

Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 AM

629 posts, read 542,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Generalizing a bit much. The city officially classifies my spot as North Side, but I'm closer to Humboldt Park than I am to Lincoln Park.

"West side" in the crime/murder sense, the core of that would be south of about Division, west of about Kedzie, going south pretty much to the river. Those boundaries are fluid and keep contracting, which is part of the reason why there tend to be clusters of shootings in a small area like Austin. Even Austin is a big place and not all of it is bad.

South side, much of Bridgeport is fine, same with Hyde Park. South of Pershing and west of the Dan Ryan, things get rougher. There are still a few high rise housing projects left in the South Shore, but not as many as there used to be.

Of course there are exceptions and plenty of fine neighborhoods on the south and west sides, but look at the map, most of the south side and west side are more dangerous than the north side

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime

Old 11-27-2019, 09:48 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
People, read the forum rules in the Sticky thread. The topic of Chicago crime stats has been discussed previously, ad nauseam. So keep your stats and political comments to yourself.

Personal attacks and off-topic posts have been deleted from this thread, which is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago