Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2020, 12:42 PM

226 posts, read 148,268 times

Advertisements

I have a question about older three and six flats in chicago that are around a hundred years old.

When these were made into condos were the floors sound proofed? I have lived in chicago apartments and you can hear the person walking above you. I do not want to have to worry about how I walk if I buy a condo.

Does anyone know if there are regulations on sound proofing in these older chicago condos?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 12:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Whether you hear people walking on floors above varies from building to building, and no there is no ordinance requiring sound abatement. Buyer beware.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:47 PM

i can actually here the TV above me when they have it loud in my current rental would be a nightmare to buy a condo and have that issue.

May have to only look at condos with concrete floors. SO much for saving $$

Old 02-22-2020, 05:25 PM

209 posts, read 590,580 times
As stated above, there are no regulations about soundproofing in any residential buildings in Chicago. I live in a condo building from the 1920’s and I can hear the person above me. The sound of the person walking isn’t the big sound issue. It’s when she has guests (they’re all wearing shoes, whereas the owner doesn’t wear shoes when she’s home) and the sound of her cat scampering around, which sounds like a Great Dane running across those wood floors.

Most people who live in vintage buildings accept that they will have to deal with some noises like this. I don’t think you’ll have to worry about people upset with the sound of you walking on your floors, as long as you’re not walking around in hard shoes constantly. But if you have any concerns about noise you might hear from neighbors or your noises disturbing your neighbors, you’ll need to go with a building with concrete floors. I lived in such a building once and it was a sound fortress. I never heard a thing above, below, or on either side of me.

Old 02-22-2020, 06:56 PM

1,068 posts, read 917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
But if you have any concerns about noise you might hear from neighbors or your noises disturbing your neighbors, you’ll need to go with a building with concrete floors. I lived in such a building once and it was a sound fortress. I never heard a thing above, below, or on either side of me.
Agreed. I was in a 1997 newly built 3 flat and could hear the neighbor upstairs walking with hard shoes. But it didn't really bother me that much...just part of living in a city. Now I'm in a high rise with concrete floors and haven't heard neighbors ever unless they're talking as they walk by my front door.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:32 AM

Side question

I am seeing some nice two bedroom condo garden units around northcenter under 175. I never wanted a garden but may think it over to live in a nice nieghboirhood.

IF I bought a garden how hard is it to get approved to put bars on all the windows?

Old 02-23-2020, 10:50 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
I live in a nine-flat built in 1926, according to the Internet anyway. Top floor, so I can't really say much on how soundproof the floor is.

I don't hear very many outside sounds from within the building, which is something considering there's probably 20 or so people living in the structure. I hear when the door opens and closes and when someone's coming up the stairs. I can sometimes, faintly, hear music from downstairs, but it's no louder than the cars passing outside.

I also don't get bothered enough by this stuff to notice, much of the time. I chose city living, I take what comes with it.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:57 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
Side question

I am seeing some nice two bedroom condo garden units around northcenter under 175. I never wanted a garden but may think it over to live in a nice nieghboirhood.

IF I bought a garden how hard is it to get approved to put bars on all the windows?
Simple; just ask the hoa/condo association BEFORE you buy it..

Old 02-23-2020, 04:55 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
You may run into fire safety ordinance issues when putting bars on windows. IIRC you'll need to have at least one alternate escape route in addition to your main entrance. The condition is probably satisfied if you have both a front and a back door. Check with the Fire Department I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago