Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 12:23 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
If Chicago sent gaining population in general as booming sunbelt cities. Why would anyone expect it is matching in immigrants?

But did you all miss this quoted post from the -CvC Demographics thread?
Chicago was at the very bottom of the list for immigration in the past 5 years. It was below places like Detroit, Denver and Portland. That's pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 07:36 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago was at the very bottom of the list for immigration in the past 5 years. It was below places like Detroit, Denver and Portland. That's pretty bad.
The city needs to market itself better. It has a number of growth stories it could sell if it out some effort into that. It also needs to continue to leverage it's growing film industry.

And it needs to find a way to make stories out of reducing crime numbers. Crime is still higher than New York and LA, but the numbers are improving. Having to fire the police superintendent doesn't help, but if they hire well and numbers continue to decline, that can be a story to sell to offset the negative stories the likes of Trump tell

Old 12-19-2019, 09:31 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The city needs to market itself better. It has a number of growth stories it could sell if it out some effort into that. It also needs to continue to leverage it's growing film industry.

And it needs to find a way to make stories out of reducing crime numbers. Crime is still higher than New York and LA, but the numbers are improving. Having to fire the police superintendent doesn't help, but if they hire well and numbers continue to decline, that can be a story to sell to offset the negative stories the likes of Trump tell
I think TOURISM and word of mouth. TV shows entirely filmed in Chicago. "The Bean" Socil media has most heard f it when Chicago gets mentioned. More then Al Capone today or Urban Blues.

But though the city looks GRET TO OUTSIDERS and its commonly known gang n gang murders are in Hoods on their own turf. It all makes Chicago appealing. Despite it financial shape, corruption and State finances.

Even if it did and was allowed Bankruptcy. It would still survive and have a 3rd set of 9-lives ..... I mean despite what many think of past governors. Downtown Chicago and touris would never be what it is without ALL THAT INVESTMENT. That had a goal to increase it. Tht IS CHICGO'S HUHGE SUCESS.

Also Corporate America still sees it as a Global Premier Legacy City that is not dying. Chicago never ceases to surprise me by overcoming all its DOOM FR DECADES NOW. I'm concerned the new governor won't continue it nearly as much? But I hope so.

The building boom continues in the Core and surroundings and gentrification. It does not need to match booming Sunbelt cities that NEVER WILL HAVE WHAT CHICAGO'S CORE HAS NOW.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:31 PM

118 posts, read 107,160 times
Edited

Last edited by Maki_Chicago; 12-20-2019 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: Ramblings

Old 12-20-2019, 01:49 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Well this year will end with less than 500 murders at the very least.
I read an article about the new SDSC which is supposed to help officers make better decisions on the spot. All these cameras and an increase in officers should be beneficial as well.

And remember, in the early to mid 2010s there were only around 430 murders per year in the city. The unprecedented spike was caused by a combination of 3 factors, the aftermath of the police shooting of Laquan MacDonald, the effective stopping of stop and frisk, and the CPD basically castrating itself to appease the Civil Liberties Union. I place a lot of blame on Rahm Emanuel and Eddie Johnson as well.

I can see maybe 3-4 more years in the 400s before Chicago drops into the 300s, not seen since the mid 60s. I do think a lot of this crime will literally be priced out of the city in the coming decade. I think with
a declining gang culture and increases in police activity and technology, the 2020s will see Chicago become much safer with a much better reputation that is focused less on soley the crime aspect and more on Chicago's status in relation to New York and LA.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:13 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
KoNgFooCj, I was interested in what you see as contributing to a "declining gang culture." I've been working in Social Work since 1995, in the criminal system. I would agree that what were once the "mega-gangs" of cities like Chicago and Milwaukee have somewhat dissolved. But in terms of a gang "culture" overall declining, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you perceive. Thank you for sharing!

Old 12-21-2019, 08:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
KoNgFooCj, I was interested in what you see as contributing to a "declining gang culture." I've been working in Social Work since 1995, in the criminal system. I would agree that what were once the "mega-gangs" of cities like Chicago and Milwaukee have somewhat dissolved. But in terms of a gang "culture" overall declining, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you perceive. Thank you for sharing!
I think he's essentially saying that the gangs will move out of the City and therefore the gang culture will as a consequence decline. It's not going to be "cured" per se, it's just going to move somewhere else. Hopefully not MIlwaukee, LOL

In progressive cities, that's pretty much how it's handled. It's kind of too bad but it is what it is. If you start talking about growing our manufacturing sector to create more economic opportunity for working class people, you are considered stuck in the 1950s and possibly a Trump supporter too, which no one around here wants to remotely risk.

Anyway, I agree with his points. That's probably going to be what happens. I would add that attrition has a lot to do with this too. Not only are young mostly male gang members being killed in substantial numbers but the demographics they come from are fleeing the violence. Once the crime numbers drop, then more areas will gentrify, provided that we can continue to grow the city's professional economy.

This last point cannot be emphasized enough. The City cannot assume that this is going to happen. There are a lot of cities competing for professional jobs and fresh, vibrant college grads. Nashville, Austin, Dallas, and even some Midwestern cities such as Minneapolis. So the vision that the entire West Side from the West Loop to Oak Park is going to become a gentrified fusion bistro, pop up bar wonderland once those troublesome poor people are out of the way is by no means guaranteed. We have to stay on our toes.

Last edited by BRU67; 12-21-2019 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-21-2019, 09:05 AM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
^^ In any given year Milwaukee's murder rate is on par with Chicago's so they already have gang problems of their own.

If you want to know where the gangs are headed, look to places that used to at least be livable but are now clinging to life like Calumet City, South Holland, Hammond, Dolton, Harvey, Lansing, etc.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

If you want to know where the gangs are headed, look to places that used to at least be livable but are now clinging to life like Calumet City, South Holland, Hammond, Dolton, Harvey, Lansing, etc.
Yes, those have long been kind of the back parking lot of the fancy restaurant that is Chicago!

Old 12-21-2019, 09:48 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
BRU67 and Bitey, no the gang culture definitely does NOT need to exp as nd into Milwaukee!! It's a shame when problems don't dissolve; they just move. Forgive my analogy, but it would be like someone beating esophagul cancer, and only to have it resurface in another part of the body. And please understand, I mean no dishonor to anyone who has/had struggled with cancer. I merely use cancer as a term, such as: criminal peoples/behaviors can spread to other areas, and a new group of good people suffer... I teach martial arts as an alternative to gang life. I try to do MY part for the community, the best I can. In addition to many times I've intervened to physically stop violence on the streets with my presence. To date, I've never been hurt. The bad guys always stop. I leave my life in God's hands. When it's MY time to go, I'll go out with dignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago