U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 08:42 AM

620 posts, read 330,898 times

Advertisements

My brother grew up in Rogers Park. When he got married in the late 1980s he bought a house near Addison and Oak Park. He has lived there ever since. In 3 years when he retires they will move to Florida. At that point he will have lived in Chicago for 63 years.
I left for Wisconsin 32 years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 02:34 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,922,206 times
Lived on the far north side of the city as a little kid, then we moved down to Oak Park. Parents still live there and will probably never leave.

I left at 23 --- Chicago is a great town, but I wanted to experience something different. Since then I've lived in the DC area, Reno Nevada, and now Seattle.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:04 AM

2,849 posts, read 1,148,327 times
EllieKay56, I had to look up Kronewetter, Wisconsin. You moved VERY FAR from Rogers Park! But I'm sure after 32 years, you must really love it! I'm just such a city boy, I can't live too far from places like Milwaukee or Chicago. I lived in Richfield, Wisconsin from ages 19 to 25 and I couldn't STAND it! I ended up moving back to my old house. But Kronewetter is in the middle of the State. Well, I'm glad you're happy. I remember you mentioned that you had visited Chicago this summer. How long had you been away?

Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 AM

8,279 posts, read 10,493,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Lived on the far north side of the city as a little kid, then we moved down to Oak Park. Parents still live there and will probably never leave.

I left at 23 --- Chicago is a great town, but I wanted to experience something different. Since then I've lived in the DC area, Reno Nevada, and now Seattle.
This is as it should be. Better to see the country ( or the world), and not be confined to the place of your upbringing..

Old 12-13-2019, 01:46 PM

630 posts, read 355,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

which city is your favorite of those you've lived in?

Old 12-13-2019, 05:05 PM

944 posts, read 957,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The people who take what this city has to offer the most for granted typically are the ones who have never lived anywhere else. To be fair, Chicago is far from the only place I can say that about.
Familiarity breads contempt. What someone from outwith Chicago will love about it might be what someone from the city hates... my friend's SO is from Lincoln Park and now lives in a generic Atlanta suburb he loves because he feels safer walking at night and he can drive wherever he wants. Me? I hate driving and wouldn't call walking down the block on a tiny strip of pavement "walking" compared to what Chicago offers.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:44 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,922,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
which city is your favorite of those you've lived in?
All-around, probably DC. But they each have pros and cons.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:56 AM

3,993 posts, read 9,342,080 times
Lived in Charlotte for about 10 months....my family on my maternal side has lived in Chicago for well over a 100 years as well. A good chunk of the extended family has moved all over the country but for me Chicago is home!

Old 12-14-2019, 06:14 AM

620 posts, read 330,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
EllieKay56, I had to look up Kronewetter, Wisconsin. You moved VERY FAR from Rogers Park! But I'm sure after 32 years, you must really love it! I'm just such a city boy, I can't live too far from places like Milwaukee or Chicago. I lived in Richfield, Wisconsin from ages 19 to 25 and I couldn't STAND it! I ended up moving back to my old house. But Kronewetter is in the middle of the State. Well, I'm glad you're happy. I remember you mentioned that you had visited Chicago this summer. How long had you been away?

We moved up north in 1987. I was 31 yrs old. My grandparents were from here. After they died no one was around to keep an eye on the farm house. Which my parents now owned. So we decided we would like to raise our kids here. We moved up.
I miss Chicago and we do come down every few months.
At the time we moved up here we had a gorgeous home that we rehabbed. It was at Monticello and Irving Park. Suzies- a hot dog place is down the street. We still stop there for greasy fries. Yum.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 AM

2,849 posts, read 1,148,327 times
EllieKay56, I understand. You did a great thing for your family. And Im glad you're happy. I believe you're close to Wausau, which is pretty north, for me! Ive been to Wausau, once, a good 20 years ago, for a Tae Kwon Do business trip. It's definitely NOT Chicago And Roger's Park is not my typical stomping grounds. But you are right, there are some very nice things to miss! Have a great day, Ms. Ellie Kay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago