Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 12:50 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times

Advertisements

In the city of Chicago and the metro area. Having never lived outside of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 02:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I lived in GA for 9 months after I graduated college otherwise I've lived in the Chicago area all my life. In fact, my family has lived here for over 100 years. Due mainly to the govt here, I'd rather live in GA if I could get an equivalent job there again only this time one that wasn't an excrement show. It was my first job out of college and given all the crappy employers here offering $15 an hour contract no benefits I jumped at the first job that offered >$40k and benefits.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I lived in GA for 9 months after I graduated college otherwise I've lived in the Chicago area all my life. In fact, my family has lived here for over 100 years. Due mainly to the govt here, I'd rather live in GA if I could get an equivalent job there again only this time one that wasn't an excrement show. It was my first job out of college and given all the crappy employers here offering $15 an hour contract no benefits I jumped at the first job that offered >$40k and benefits.
What do you do? I would think that you could make a career elsewhere. While Chicago has a great job market, it's not the only great job market in the US.

Interesting though, 9 months for you.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:08 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,181,447 times
Lived a couple hours away in-state for college for 4.5 years (excluding summers). Other than that, I've either lived adjacent to or in Chicago my whole life until 3 years ago, now in Naperville.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:23 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
I'm 70 and have lived in Chicago (city) all my life. Have never been tainted by suburbia. My sister and I attended Chicago public schools for both elementary and high school. I think that this fact made us better adults. We came to realize at an early age that not everyone is the same.

Also, I've only resided on the West Side. At the time of my birth, the West Side was viewed as 'Chicago's Mediterranean Sea.' The largest communities of Italians, Greeks, and Jews who lived in the city, were then located on the West Side. This extended west from downtown to the city limits bordering Oak Park and Cicero.

Last edited by Nearwest; 12-03-2019 at 03:43 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I'm 70 and have lived in Chicago all my life. Have never been tainted by suburbia. My sister and I attended Chicago public schools for both elementary and high school. I think that this fact made us better adults. We came to realize at an early age that not everyone is the same.

Also, I've only resided on the West Side. At the time of my birth, the West Side was viewed as 'Chicago's Mediterranean Sea.' The largest communities of Italians, Greeks, and Jews who lived in the city, were then located on the West Side. This extended west from downtown to the city limits bordering Oak Park and Cicero.
Where in Chicago do you live now?

Old 12-03-2019, 03:45 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
Frimpter 928: I still live on the West Side. I'm located near UIC, the Medical District, and the United Center. This fact is the origin of my handle on this site: Nearwest.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
What do you do? I would think that you could make a career elsewhere. While Chicago has a great job market, it's not the only great job market in the US.

Interesting though, 9 months for you.
I'm a Chemist and it is insanely hard to find a job that is decent in my profession. A lot of the big companies (like Abbott, Baxter, Pfizer/Hospira, and Pepsi around here) won't even hire chemists directly and pay ~ $20 an hour no benefits contract crap. I've looked for a new job and I've found I can expect a 33-50% paycut if I ever lose my current job assuming I can ever find another job at all and that I would be better off changing careers.

As a result, I am on a FIRE extreme savings budget (not easy with lamprey Democrats taking more and more of my money) and hoping to ride my current job (which is niche and pretty stable) until I have enough to retire. In short I am stuck here.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:02 AM

796 posts, read 930,815 times
I have lived her my entire life with the exception of being away for college for 4 years, when I primarily was in central illinois and I spent a year in dallas from summer 2017 through summer 2018.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:04 AM

629 posts, read 543,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
In the city of Chicago and the metro area. Having never lived outside of it?
I have until recently, its so great when you're not living there I tell ya what. Only thing I miss are my friends, but thankfully with modern technology its pretty easy to keep in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago