Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't mean to turn this into a Cubs v. Sox thread... but IMO it reflects a lot more positively on a fan base that shows up in September even when the season is hopeless than it does when a World Series-contending franchise can't even sell out its playoff games.
I don't know what you're talking about with the playoff games.

But I really don't see that as a good thing when that many fans show up to drink beer and cheer on one of the most pathetic teams (the 2006 cubs) in a dismal organization's history. That showed that for Cubs fans, it's really not about baseball, its solely about Wrigley. Drinking bad beer in a crumbling stadium, just to sing along to an out of tune "Take me out" by a b-list celebrity.

That's not very endearing for me.

Its not that you won't find morons at Comiskey (both games I've gone to I've heard people yelling at Swisher to "swing the damn bat" while he has a .420 OBP), but by and large, a Sox game is more about baseball than its counterpart on the North side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I don't know what you're talking about with the playoff games.

But I really don't see that as a good thing when that many fans show up to drink beer and cheer on one of the most pathetic teams (the 2006 cubs) in a dismal organization's history. That showed that for Cubs fans, it's really not about baseball, its solely about Wrigley. Drinking bad beer in a crumbling stadium, just to sing along to an out of tune "Take me out" by a b-list celebrity.

That's not very endearing for me.

Its not that you won't find morons at Comiskey (both games I've gone to I've heard people yelling at Swisher to "swing the damn bat" while he has a .420 OBP), but by and large, a Sox game is more about baseball than its counterpart on the North side.
I know what you're saying. I will say, though, that the game, the competition, the thrills, the wins, the suspense... That's why I watch baseball. Sitting in the stands eating peanuts and having a cold beer on a Sunday afternoon is why I go to a baseball game. Largely. I love baseball games. Any baseball game, really. And yes! The game is only part of it! The baseball part is on TV, though! And you can see better on TV! Multiple angles. Closeups. Stats.

So, again, if you're saying some Cubs fans go to Wrigley because it's Wrigley, I say "guilty". Now, you also said "solely about Wrigley". I can't go that far. Where I sit, it's definitely about the game.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I know what you're saying. I will say, though, that the game, the competition, the thrills, the wins, the suspense... That's why I watch baseball. Sitting in the stands eating peanuts and having a cold beer on a Sunday afternoon is why I go to a baseball game. Largely. I love baseball games. Any baseball game, really. And yes! The game is only part of it! The baseball part is on TV, though! And you can see better on TV! Multiple angles. Closeups. Stats.

So, again, if you're saying some Cubs fans go to Wrigley because it's Wrigley, I say "guilty". Now, you also said "solely about Wrigley". I can't go that far. Where I sit, it's definitely about the game.
Isn't that what I'm saying though? What you're describing is 'the wrigley experience'. At some point though, its got to be about the actual product, and not how pretty the wrapping paper is.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Marty Brennaman got it correct both times this past week, below.

ChicagoSports.com

Brennaman maintains criticism of Cubs fans -- chicagotribune.com

Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Well that's great for Marty. Now, if I described some of the crap my friend and I suffered at the hands of Reds fans when we went to a couple games in Cincinnati, the hair on his arms would curl. By far the worst baseball experience I have ever had. Let's just summarize by saying this: security had to move us to prevent a brawl.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Marty Brennaman got it correct both times this past week, below.

ChicagoSports.com

Brennaman maintains criticism of Cubs fans -- chicagotribune.com
Brennaman is also a inbred bastard who doesnt know is arse from his elbow. EVERY team has bad apples that ruin it for the bunch. And if morons out there really believe Cub fans are worse than any other team, theyre sorely mistaken. I dare anyone to venture to a Red Sox vs Yankee game sometime if they think its bad here. As rowdy as some Cub fans can get, should I bash and stereotype alllllll Sux fans because they had some idiots run out into the field and pummel a certain first base KC coach?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Touchy Cub fans....

YouTube - Cub Fans: Please Stop Believing

Old 04-21-2008, 07:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I knew it. I called it way before it started. What a waste of a thread to retread the same b.s.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I knew it. I called it way before it started. What a waste of a thread to retread the same b.s.
Good call nostradamus.

Seriously though, when have the Sox not sold out a playoff game?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Good call nostradamus.

Seriously though, when have the Sox not sold out a playoff game?
2005 ALDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: