Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 08:21 AM

8 posts, read 4,866 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any helpful advice on such a move. I was wondering if West Superior Street (I do not know the name of the area) is an okay location. I've a Service Animal as well so we both will be acclimating and even though I'm doing a lot of research it would be nice to hear from a 'real' person. Safe neighborhood, close to shops, etc.? I'm a single woman but wise. I've lived all over the world so it's hard to scam me... but one never knows... many, many thanks and I hope everyone is having an excellent start to the new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 08:28 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,523,286 times
West Superior runs from downtown out to Oak Park. Can you provide the hundred block you are interested in, not the exact address.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Also.
Brownstone Tavern and Grill on Lincoln ave is a great Seahawks bar
I mean..there are others too.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:50 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frambroysia View Post
I am looking for any helpful advice on such a move. I was wondering if West Superior Street (I do not know the name of the area) is an okay location. I've a Service Animal as well so we both will be acclimating and even though I'm doing a lot of research it would be nice to hear from a 'real' person. Safe neighborhood, close to shops, etc.? I'm a single woman but wise. I've lived all over the world so it's hard to scam me... but one never knows... many, many thanks and I hope everyone is having an excellent start to the new year!
My youngest brother lives in the Lynnwood/Everett area in Washington. I was just out there before Christmas to see my new nephew, born Friday, December 20, 2019.

You don't give a budget. A lot of things depend on your budget. If you can spent $3,000/month on rent, you can live pretty much wherever you want. If you're limited to $800/month for rent, you'll have to get a lot more creative.

As far as Superior, you need to provide either an address or at least the "hundred-block" of the address - for example, 577 W Superior would be the 5-hundred block, or 3455 W Superior would be the 34-hundred block. Or the closest cross-street. Nearly all streets in Chicago are close to a dozen miles long, so just a street name provides zero information about location. I live on the 1-hundred block of West Huron Street, which is a block south of Superior. This area is called "River North," or more generally, the "Near North Side." It is a popular, safe, vibrant area, with a lot of high rises, restaurants, transit, etc. West of here, from about the 800-blocks to 1200-blocks of Superior is generally known as River West. It's experiencing growing pains. It's generally safe, but kind of cut up by train tracks and angled streets. There are some restaurants, but can feel more industrial than most people like. From about 1400-2200 blocks of Superior is known as the East VIllage in the eastern portion and the Ukrainian Village in the western portion. The streets are lined with leafy trees and there are popular restaurants along Chicago Avenue, which is just one block north of Superior Street. Its main transit is the 66/Chicago Avenue bus, although the southern portions near Ashland sometimes use the Green Line Ashland stop, or the eastern portion near 1200 W Chicago has access to the Blue Line Chicago Ave subway station, or near the 800 W Grand Ave area has access to the Grand station of the Blue Line subway. All the major N-S and E-W streets have bus lines on them. And, of course, there's always uber/lyft. I'm guessing if you have a service animal you don't ride a bike but if you do happen to ride bikes, CHicago's bike-share program, Divvy, can be very convenient.

Or just look at a map. Pretty much anything on the North Side within walking distance of the North (Howard) Branch of the Red Line, any of the Brown Line or the Northwest (O'Hare) Branch of the Blue Line will be safe. Anything between the Red Line and the Lake north of the Loop will be safe.

Going west from the Loop, most things east of Damen Avenue and north of 35th Street will be safe.

Going south from the Loop, anything north of Cermak and east of Damen will be safe.

South of 35th, it can be pretty sketchy except for some specific areas. East of Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, and between 51st Street and 63rd Street are pretty safe, although only really convenient if you are working or going to school at the University of Chicago.

Bridgeport and parts of McKinley Park between Archer Ave, Damen Ave, Pershing Road, and Wentworth is reasonably safe. The area between 35th St, State Street, the Lake, and Cermak is pretty safe. But it's not that convenient for getting around the rest of the city.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:49 AM

Many thanks, emathias! That's wonderful news about your new nephew! Change of advice request... Oak Park? How is that area? N. Austin Boulevard. Thank you for any help! Thank you, also, for taking the time to respond!

Old 01-08-2020, 06:52 AM

Thank you for responding BOBNCHI... Change of looking... N. Austin Boulevard, OAK PARK... 400 block if I am understanding how the streets work... many thanks!

Old 01-08-2020, 06:54 AM

Me again... just wondering if there are any other sites or forums that would help me? I see a lot of people have read my post but only 2 had the kindness to actually provide any assistance... thank you! Sorry about the intonation... I do hope everyone is enjoying their new year...

Old 01-08-2020, 07:03 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,186,078 times
Quote:
Me again... just wondering if there are any other sites or forums that would help me? I see a lot of people have read my post but only 2 had the kindness to actually provide any assistance... thank you! Sorry about the intonation... I do hope everyone is enjoying their new year...
I suspect there's been limited response for a few reasons:

1. Confusion on clarity of the request. West Superior Street, as emathias stated, basically goes from the middle of River North all the way to the near west suburbs Oak Park, River Forest, Maywood/Melrose Park?, etc. The street seems too specifics versus stating a budget or what amenities or feel you want to your neighborhood, or the type of building you'd like to live in.

2. People may not have much info on service animals

3. Emathias gave a fairly thorough response.

I think more would be happy to respond regarding item 1 if there were a more clear picture.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:47 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,858,499 times
Austin Blvd is the dividing line between Oak Park and one of the most dangerous Chicago neighborhoods, Austin.

Oak Park has a lot of nice spots, but I'd make sure you are several blocks away from the Chicago border.

Tons of other great areas in Chicago - but Austin is terrible.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:48 PM

504 posts, read 497,416 times
Quote:
Thank you for responding BOBNCHI... Change of looking... N. Austin Boulevard, OAK PARK... 400 block if I am understanding how the streets work... many thanks!
I live in this area and own places near here. Great area near a safer part of Austin and living in the Oak Park side offers many amenities (schools, parks, libraries, services) in addition to a new brewery that won high marks architecturally and some fast food. The food scene of Oak Park is much better closer to the downtown area and there are high rises with a mix of ages. You're also near the green line for quick transit and several bus lines. The new bagel shop opening up a couple blocks away from Austin Blvd and on Chicago avenue is going to be a gem.

The downsides - you will be near a hospital and hear an ambulance every 3 hours, crime from Austin does creep in, but this area still has lower crime than much of the Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago