Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 06:32 PM

219 posts, read 226,960 times

Advertisements

I spent most of my time downtown, Lincoln Park, riding the El to/from O’Hare, and all I have to say is that Chicago seems WAY grittier, and less clean, as compared to when I lived here.

Every El train smelled of marijuana and I was asked for money by handlers at least half a dozen times.

Did something fundamentally change in the city over the past 7 years that’s causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 07:38 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,267,221 times
Hmmm. I've visited countless times over the years. Including areas you've mentioned. And I like things tidy and organized. But nothing stands out in the Lincoln Park area as gritty and dirty. And I do not recall any marijuana smells. I've ridden the Yellow, Brown, Red and Pink this year. I only recall one panhandler experience. It was by the Dunkin Donuts at North and Homan, about 3 weeks ago. Of course, when I have restaurant extras, I do like to offer to those asking for handouts.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:57 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
I spent most of my time downtown, Lincoln Park, riding the El to/from O’Hare, and all I have to say is that Chicago seems WAY grittier, and less clean, as compared to when I lived here.

Every El train smelled of marijuana and I was asked for money by handlers at least half a dozen times.

Did something fundamentally change in the city over the past 7 years that’s causing this?
I don't see it any more dirty or cleaner. The marijuana smell, I dunno, I haven't noticed that change and I take the train every day. Perhaps it was juts bad luck.

Now the pan handlers on the train, yes, for sure. I would say in the past 5 years you see a lot more panhandlers on the trains, and mentally unstable people. I would say that for sure has gotten worse.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:27 PM

1,068 posts, read 918,390 times
Yeah we need to restrict all panhandling and homeless in the city. Force them into shelters or treatment centers. Eliminate all tent areas too.

Otherwise, I think the city is just as clean and tidy as it was 7 years ago. I hardly ever see trash or waste lying around and others that visit comment on the cleanliness of our city.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:53 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,818 times
I think the OP suffers from reefer madness.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:58 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:

No. Lol.. good try though..

Old 12-30-2019, 08:02 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,522,642 times
Ha, if you think this has recently fundamentally changed for the worse, and it has not, you should have been around in the late 60's - early 70's!

Old 12-30-2019, 09:23 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,410,535 times
Quote:

If this is your first time seeing handlers downtown then I question you've ever even been to Chicago before.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:44 AM

403 posts, read 930,446 times
If anything, Chicago is cleaner and more Disneyfied in those areas than 7 years ago. Lincoln Park is Lincoln Park. The Loop gets better and more impressive every year, and the NW neighborhoods are booming. Panhandlers exist and always have..I've noticed no change one way or the other. Also, they're generally not aggressive here (they ask and move generally). Try San Francisco if you want aggressive panhandlers. Smelling weed in public spaces might be more prevalent than 7 yrs ago IIRC. But that's just 2019 anywhere. And street legal in 2 days.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:59 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,192 times
I've been in Chicago for almost 9 years. In my mind there has been an escalation of homeless people sleeping on the trains, and of hoodrats, either in group or individually, being aggressive/menacing and looking to harm people in trains or the stations.

Of course I'm just going on my impression, that there have been noticeable safety and sanitary declines from 2011 to 2019. No evidence at all to support it. It's just anecdotal.

And I think we would all agree that these trains and stations need some form of more visible security. I can't imagine even the most diehard booster would disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago