Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 09:04 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,210,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
What you describe is actually a pretty big waste of space and would be a terrible design from a functional standpoint. Putting a hallway all the way to one side means you can only have rooms opening up from one side, meaning half of the hallway is wasted, and then the exterior side of the hallway either has no windows, meaning you have a significant part of your home without windows, or there are windows that are kind of wasted because any light coming in is just illuminating a hallway and not a space usable for anything other than movement.
A hallway that abuts an exterior wall is what's called a "single-loaded corridor", and they're very rare for the reasons you spell out here.

https://www.menamresidences.com/sing...dor-47264.page

One of the most prominent buildings in Chicago to use these is 333 N Canal St (the curvy one on the west bank of the Chicago River confluence), and the design was controversial because single-loaded corridors are so rare and uneconomical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 AM

1,067 posts, read 901,397 times
Here's a great example of the old layout in a North Lawndale building. Even though the lot is wide at 32x125 the building does not make use of that lot width and is clearly a typical building you'd find on a 25 foot wide lot. Pics look nice and updated. Unfortunately the updated were wasted on the old layout once you look at the small bedroom sizes. This one has the layout dimensions of each floor which is why I posted it.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/39.../home/13235211

Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 PM

504 posts, read 489,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Here's a great example of the old layout in a North Lawndale building. Even though the lot is wide at 32x125 the building does not make use of that lot width and is clearly a typical building you'd find on a 25 foot wide lot. Pics look nice and updated. Unfortunately the updated were wasted on the old layout once you look at the small bedroom sizes. This one has the layout dimensions of each floor which is why I posted it.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/39.../home/13235211
3 things -
1) huge fan of this layout
2) pending at that price is interesting
3) "Hot north lawndale" is a laughable MLS comment.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 901,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
3 things -
1) huge fan of this layout
2) pending at that price is interesting
3) "Hot north lawndale" is a laughable MLS comment.
- Why are you a huge fan of this layout? The bedrooms are unlivable.
- I've picked up modern layouts for the same price point or less much further east.
- I've noticed quite a few "updated" buildings like this going contingent in North Lawndale and I don't know what's driving it. Opportunity Zone? ROI? Gentrification is decades away that far west. Housing stock is great but I've driven area just north of Douglas Park with my cleaning lady and she's pointed out drug house after drug house. No way I'm investing there...maybe it gets better as you go closer to Cicero.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:47 AM

4,068 posts, read 7,277,555 times
Weird how the kitchen is so far from the dining room in that North Lawndale layout. And how a bedroom is situated directly off the kitchen.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:50 AM

41 posts, read 44,273 times
I lived in a 2 flat in Logan Square with that layout (except my roommate reversed the dining and liviing room areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago