U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 PM

5 posts, read 11,022 times

Advertisements

my suggestion is to rent a loft in the west loop for about 6 months. its always best to move into the city when relocating, especially chicago... this way, you can experience all the city has to offer, arts, restaurants, and see if you like it... it would really suck to move to naperville, not like it for whatever reason, and relocate in a year, and never actually live in the city...

west loop is the easiest accessed city point, that is best for a family, imo.... old town is ok too, but more congested..... south loop is ok too, very artsy culture...

then, take the metra one day with your family out to naperville, and check it out... see if you do not mind the train commute...

you are in for a big change from scottsdale..... good luck...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 11:29 PM

4,790 posts, read 8,879,585 times
I believe much of the "Loop" is zoned to Ogden School

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/il/1270

Which seems solid on many levels

But after 8th grade the Loop kids zoned to Ogden are zoned to Wells HS http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/il/1425 - Which doesn't look as strong

See if Lincoln Park HS http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/il/1421 is better... it looks good to me

Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,606,727 times
How 'bout Lane Tech, how does it look? Is that a zone school or a magnet school?

Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 8,879,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How 'bout Lane Tech, how does it look? Is that a zone school or a magnet school?
Lane Tech is a magnet school

See http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...school/il/1221 - The school looks great according to this profile

http://www.lanetech.org/studentadmissions.htm (broken link) describes the admissions process.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM

939 posts, read 2,138,991 times
My husband moved from Scottsdale (born and raised) 16 years ago and the best advice he would give you is don't fight the weather. The first thing you should do is get the right cold weather gear and it won't seem bad at all!

With the amount of money you are willing to spend, I think you can open your search up to almost any area of Chicago. Don't overlook the north shore (Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest), you can certainly get a decent house for $750,000, just don't expect it to be a palace with a huge yard. People also like Glenview, Northbrook and Deerfield.

To the west, I'd look at LaGrange, Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, and Downers Grove as well. Geneva, Batavia and St. Charles farther out.

To the northwest, people like Lincolnshire, Buffalo Grove, Libertyville.

I don't know much about the south suburbs, except that I know people who live in Palos Park and Homer Glen, and they like where they live.

It really depends upon what you are looking for in a suburb, small and quaint or bigger with more amenities.

You should take a look at Naperville and see what you think. People who live there love it. I personally don't understand the fascination. I think it's a good city with lots going for it, but you can find so much of what Naperville has to offer in a dozen or more cities across Chicagoland.

Chicago has lots of great suburbs, so if you choose to live in one of them over the City, you'll have much to choose from.

In the city, I'm really only familiar with the Lincoln Park/DePaul area, Rogers Park, Sauganash and Beverly. All are nice areas, Rogers Park being the most diverse and Lincoln Park being the most expensive. You could find a single family home for $750,000 there, but there aren't many. Beverly is on the southwest side and is very charming, but the schools aren't great. It's heavily catholic so most send their children to catholic schools. Sauganash area has good public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago