Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:53 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times

Advertisements

After living in Chicago for 30 years, I think that the remaining vestiges of racism (other than self-segregation in housing) is in job and some housing discrimination. When I moved here there were apartment buildings in Evanston which would not rent to Jews. Now many of the employers have moved to the suburbs and have much less diverse workforces. The police in Chicago are no longer overtly racist -- they treat all youths gruffly and with antagonism. Please remember this is not a simple black/white issue either -- East Indians, West Indians, Eastern Europeans and Asians I do not think always get an objective assessment as prospective employees or as people to be included in social engagements. I'm not going to go into any war stories because I think they are only very rarely helpful. However, I am sure that much of the out-migration from Chicago has been to avoid 'changing neighborhoods'.

Is Chicago racist? In the neighborhoods with diverse populations, I would say slightly more than average for large cities.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 74,862 times
I don't understand why cdrobert statements were banned. All he was saying was racism continues to exsist and he was being honest about his experience in Chicago???

Old 04-24-2007, 06:04 PM

7 posts, read 74,862 times
Well it sounds like moving across the lake....to Toronto would be the BEST bet!!! It is a much different vibe there for sure and full of beautiful people from all over the world.!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissy View Post
I don't understand why cdrobert statements were banned. All he was saying was racism continues to exsist and he was being honest about his experience in Chicago???
He was probably banned for comments in a different thread or for some other conduct not related to this thread. I don't know what he was banned for; I never witnessed any particularly offensive behavior from him. Whatever the reason, it will say "Banned" under his screen name in every post of his throughout the forums.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 PM

401 posts, read 2,605,130 times
Default Just my opinion

There is little to no racism in Chicago in my opinion. Chicago has welcomed people from every background with open arms regardless of race or ethnicity. Whether others think so or not, Mid-westerners truly are the friendliest people in America.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 12,169 times
Haha, this makes me think of the time me and my brother and his friend went to chicago about 2 days before New Year's Eve. We went to an Oscars downtown and it was packed. We were looking for batteries for my digital camera because that thing practically eats them. We were looking at them and apparently we were in this lady's way, but we didn't know because she didn't say anything. She gets around us and as she passes us she mutters "I hate you white devils" and just started muttering other stuff we couldn't make out. We thought it was funny so we didn't care that much

Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 AM

53 posts, read 240,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I always hear people talking about racism in Chicago. I spend quite a lot of time in Chicago when I can, and I'm "African American". I have never had a problem with anyone being racist, yet whenever I hear people talk about Chicago, they will say how friendly the people are, but then go on about race issues. Everytime I'm here, I only see friendly people. Now that I think about it, I haven't had any major race issues yet.

So here's what I'd like to hear from people. .

What kind of racism issues are there exactly in Chicago?
Any personal experiences (If you don't mind sharing)?

Are friendly people a majority or minority in Chicago?

Please, no boosterism involved. I love Chicago, it's one of the greatest cities in the U.S. in my opinion, but to make things better about a place, you shouldn't hide them, but rather discuss them and see what can be done about it.
I've not had any issues with racism in Chicago and i'm Afro-Latina (Haitian and Dominican). I've lived on the South and North Sides and I hang out all over the city including the West Side. I loved living in Lincoln Park and wish I could afford to move back there.

The only issues I think there may be are some of the areas that are more segregated....when someone is hanging out in the area who doesn't "blend in" per say...they may receive some stares. I think that's to do more so with curiosity or the fact that it's not something the people see everyday than it is to do with being racist.

Anyone complaining in Chicago should stop. Living in Grand Rapids has been horrible, these are some of the most racist people in the world up here. Huge confederate flags blowing in the wind....how far North is this city again? I've been called "colored" up here and yes in 2007. That's racism.

Not someone looking at you a little too long.

As for the people being friendly...I think people feed off each other. I'm always polite and I always speak. 98% of the time people will smile and speak back. But remember, it is a large city so people are in a hurry to get somewhere. Someone running late for a bus or train doesn't make them rude, just bad with time management

Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 AM

606 posts, read 699,194 times
anything can happen in big cities like Chicago

Old 05-02-2007, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 20,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya01 View Post
I've not had any issues with racism in Chicago and i'm Afro-Latina (Haitian and Dominican). I've lived on the South and North Sides and I hang out all over the city including the West Side. I loved living in Lincoln Park and wish I could afford to move back there.

The only issues I think there may be are some of the areas that are more segregated....when someone is hanging out in the area who doesn't "blend in" per say...they may receive some stares. I think that's to do more so with curiosity or the fact that it's not something the people see everyday than it is to do with being racist.

Anyone complaining in Chicago should stop. Living in Grand Rapids has been horrible, these are some of the most racist people in the world up here. Huge confederate flags blowing in the wind....how far North is this city again? I've been called "colored" up here and yes in 2007. That's racism.

Not someone looking at you a little too long.

As for the people being friendly...I think people feed off each other. I'm always polite and I always speak. 98% of the time people will smile and speak back. But remember, it is a large city so people are in a hurry to get somewhere. Someone running late for a bus or train doesn't make them rude, just bad with time management

Here in Nashville, TN along the I-65 South Highway, there is a statue of a man on a horse. His name is Bedford Forrest, he was the creator of the KKK. Mind youthis statue has been up for YEARS! Surrounded by confederate flags and well lit at night for all to see. What's really sad is the fact that Nashville is in the heart of the Bible Belt. You have all of these "Fake Christians" down here with a Church on every corner yet, love to have a confederate flag on their vehicle. In fact, they have a specialized license plate here for the "Sons and Daughters of the Confederation". If that stature were in Chicago, I wonder how fast the builders of it would run upon attepting to construct it....

When I worked for UBS Financial services (here in Nashville), I once was referred to as a "colored man". Upon hearing that, I asked them if my name was Mr. Tibbs and if Kennedy was still in office? I advised them to refer to African Americans as such and to refrain using that old terminolgy. Their excuse was they're set in their old ways...BS! No excuse.
If it weren't for my wife's dislike of Chicago's weather and her mother-in-law living there, we'd be there as we speak....

Does anyone remember what MLK said about Chicago? "It was the most racist city I've ever visited."

Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 PM

31 posts, read 36,017 times
Racism in Chicago? This is the home of Louis Farrakhan and Jesse Jackson, by far two of the most racist people in the world. But I agree that Chicago is no more or less racist than other big cities. Most Polish, Ukranian and Russian people I know are VERY racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago