Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 09:45 AM

298 posts, read 579,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Absolutely no way will it be that fast. No way.
I knew after replying that I should have included the caveat that the travel times are all non-rush hour. The travel times are indeed valid, but travel times to are departing NB @ 9am CST, departing Chicago area @ 7pm. During rush hour this is not possible of course. Again, if one has control over one’s schedule and only needs to be in 2-3 days a week, it is not impossible and in fact there are folks who do this. Plus, some mix driving with train. One other caveat: a snow event, vehicular accident, or construction can significantly elongate the commute. The travel times I posted are under optimal conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_Samuel View Post
Adele115 -

Thank you for the great reply and the time estimates!

Dave
You are welcome. See my other post about caveats - there are certainly times when commute gets extended due to extenuating factors. 5 days a week - no way, never. 2-3 days a week with flexibility of traveling non-rush? Sure.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:41 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
if there is bad weather or an accident, or on a Friday, or a holiday weekend, you can double or triple those times...

this commute will get REAL OLD REAL FAST...

Old 01-18-2020, 10:19 AM

53 posts, read 61,046 times
Dude honestly literally just don't do this unless you have to. It isn't worth it. Is there any particular reason you need to be in New Buffalo? If so then whatever. If not, I'd recommend moving to a nice town closer to the city of Chicago.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:12 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
The South Shore Line is indeed looking to add another track and improve times from Michigan City to Downtown to an hour. This certainly will help from New Buffalo, depending on where you live. Many currently take the SS line in and just drive 10-15 minutes to the train stop. The other poster said it won't help people from NB. I disagree - it will help those who currently take it. It's not as comfy a ride as Amtrak, but it is totally doable.
I was thinking about this one: https://www.railway-technology.com/p...oject-indiana/

Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 PM

There are many sites to peruse about the upcoming improvements to the SSL which will reduce commute times from MIchgain City to Chicago to under an hour. Including the site below. No need to argue with those who find it untenable. Reality is, there are a number of people who commute from New Buffalo to Chicago 2-3 days a week. Non rush hour, complete independence, etc. allows us to navigate when the commute might be longer. We accept some commuting challenges that are very real. However, we make it work. More cars are autonomous/self driving and the commute is less cumbersome. The tradeoff is ease of lifestyle, great lake access, simple lifestyle. I know folks who commute 1.5 hours 5x a week from city/suburbs to ex-urbs....If you want to live in NB or Harbor Country and maintain a professional life 2-3 days in the city, it is totally doable. Just arrange non-rush hour and it can work. I would recommend renting at first to see if its a good fit!

https://www.mysouthshoreline.com/new...-grant-process

Old 01-23-2020, 10:46 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
This is an insane communte, and you should not consider this option, under any circumstances, not even if you're commuting at 2 AM. Besides congestion, the weather, construction, police activity will make your life a living hell.

Move close to your work. That's your only solution. Or find a different job. Your commute shouldn't be much longer than an hour, max. What you're proposing will be 2-2.5 hours, and God forbid if a Friday in the summer. I've been stuck in Indiana behind miles of trucks too many times.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:45 AM

69 posts, read 77,391 times
I think that is too far to commute for most people - even if it is just twice a week. Trains get significantly delayed or cancelled. The air conditioning does not work well in some of the trains so it can get uncomfortable. Driving is very tiring and can be stressful. I think most people would be unhappy with such a long commute because it is time they need to be spending with family, exercising etc.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:47 AM

69 posts, read 77,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele115 View Post
There are many sites to peruse about the upcoming improvements to the SSL which will reduce commute times from MIchgain City to Chicago to under an hour. Including the site below. No need to argue with those who find it untenable. Reality is, there are a number of people who commute from New Buffalo to Chicago 2-3 days a week. Non rush hour, complete independence, etc. allows us to navigate when the commute might be longer. We accept some commuting challenges that are very real. However, we make it work. More cars are autonomous/self driving and the commute is less cumbersome. The tradeoff is ease of lifestyle, great lake access, simple lifestyle. I know folks who commute 1.5 hours 5x a week from city/suburbs to ex-urbs....If you want to live in NB or Harbor Country and maintain a professional life 2-3 days in the city, it is totally doable. Just arrange non-rush hour and it can work. I would recommend renting at first to see if its a good fit!

https://www.mysouthshoreline.com/new...-grant-process
Adele, how long does it take you to make the NB to Chicago commute in non-rush hour? Do you tend to drive or take the train?

Old 02-23-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsDogsSun View Post
Adele, how long does it take you to make the NB to Chicago commute in non-rush hour? Do you tend to drive or take the train?
Sorry for the delay in responding, I lost track of this thread....

As stated and with no exaggeration, it takes me 55 minutes to drive from New Buffalo to Hyde Park, 75 minutes to Burr Ridge. I am close to I94 in New Buffalo, I leave NB around 8:30-8:45 am so always avoid rush hour in Chicago, and return after 7pm. I have control of my schedule so that's a huge advantage. YES, there are occasional issues with construction or weather (this winter has been totally fine), but my commute reports are modal - this is what most typically occurs. People have responded to this thread saying that it's not possible and no way does that happen which is fine...however, I am living it and I'm not lying! 55 minutes to Hyde Park non rush hour, 75 minutes to Burr Ridge non rush hour, occasional delays due to construction or weather, but that is the exception. I travel 2-3 days per week and have total control of my schedule. If you work for an employer and have to be in the city 4-5 days per week I would say: Don't do it! But, if you're like me with control of schedule and only needing to commute 2-3 days per week, it is totally doable! Life is great here and worth the savings on taxes, gas, great outdoor amenities, kayaking, hiking, biking, wineries, breweries, etc. LOTS of former Chicagoans reside here full time, LOTS of current Chicagoans reside here part time, which means they are STILL making that commute typically once a week. Anyhoo, it's not for everyone so it is definitely for those with unique circumstances!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: