Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,405 times

Advertisements

My buddies and I are moving into a an apartment in Rogers , next month. The place is by the Howard L stop across the street from Pottawattomie Park. We checked out the place and it seemed fine mostly but I've been hearing from a lot of people that it's a high crime area with gang activity, etc. We're all students and will be taking the L to class and work. We all work food service jobs so we'll be walking home from the L station at later hours too. Do we actually have anything to worry about, or is this area not as bad as these people have made it sound? If it's bad what are some safety precautions we can take? We're all from out of state and aren't too familiar with the city yet, so any advice would help really and even things to do or check out in the area would be cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 01:16 AM

3,204 posts, read 3,467,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p19y3h5d5l9c View Post
My buddies and I are moving into a an apartment in Rogers , next month. The place is by the Howard L stop across the street from Pottawattomie Park. We checked out the place and it seemed fine mostly but I've been hearing from a lot of people that it's a high crime area with gang activity, etc. We're all students and will be taking the L to class and work. We all work food service jobs so we'll be walking home from the L station at later hours too. Do we actually have anything to worry about, or is this area not as bad as these people have made it sound? If it's bad what are some safety precautions we can take? We're all from out of state and aren't too familiar with the city yet, so any advice would help really and even things to do or check out in the area would be cool
It's fine. Just be street smart as in any area. Be mindful when walking alone late at night and keep your valuables close. It's improved a lot over the years.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,154,360 times
Hiruko: well said, my friend! As you say, be street smart ANYwhere one goes! It seems to me, as well, that the area has improved over the last 5 years.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
It's fine. Just be street smart as in any area. Be mindful when walking alone late at night and keep your valuables close. It's improved a lot over the years.
Good to hear, thanks!

Old 01-16-2020, 08:15 AM

884 posts, read 644,641 times
It is about a mile to the Howard El. I would recommend walking down Clark street and not the side streets.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,554,931 times
Perhaps things have improved, but, frankly it's still an atypically rough northside area. East of Clark is GD territory; west is Black Stones'. And some of those terrorists have internal conflicts i.e. Pooh Bears are feuding with LOC City, even though they're both part of GD.

Overall, you won't get shot, but you will hear gunfire, and there may be some unpleasant encounters at times.

Sol Cafe is a great spot, however. Public House and Peckish Pig too.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:07 PM

636 posts, read 603,887 times
Yea despite it being probably as safe as it's been for decades it can still be pretty hood up there. And given the mentality many on this board have towards black folks...I doubt most would be as comfortable as they might claim here.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:14 PM

4,610 posts, read 3,154,360 times
I think you'll find a mix of people who identify as White, Black, and Latino in this area. Rogers Park is one of the more diverse neighborhoods in Chicago.... No issues with anyone of any heritage from THIS writer!

Old 01-16-2020, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Yea despite it being probably as safe as it's been for decades it can still be pretty hood up there. And given the mentality many on this board have towards black folks...I doubt most would be as comfortable as they might claim here.

Jesses Jackson said he feared hearing footsteps coming up behind him
but was relieved to see it was a white person

Old 01-16-2020, 09:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,755,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefuluneasyfeeling View Post
Jesses Jackson said he feared hearing footsteps coming up behind him
but was relieved to see it was a white person
You need to take the full context of that quote, not just part of it.

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

― Jesse Jackson

He was saying that even though he was black, he was steeped in the racism of our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago