Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 06:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 916,122 times

Advertisements

The stats out of New York...which demographics should mimic Chicago continue to support a targeted approach rather than a nationwide lock down. I have been stating over and over that the hospitalization/death rates are inflated as well which this article supports:

"The chart does not tell the full story of New York's coronavirus outbreak, however. That's because very few New Yorkers with mild cases of COVID-19 are getting tested. The city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene website urges New Yorkers who think they have mild COVID-19 cases to stay home and not seek care. "If you think you have COVID-19 and your illness is mild, you do not need to see your health care provider and you will not be tested," the site says. "Getting tested will not change what your provider will tell you to do to get better. They will tell you to stay home so you do not get others sick."

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...e-chart-2020-3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 08:59 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
The stats out of New York...which demographics should mimic Chicago continue to support a targeted approach rather than a nationwide lock down. I have been stating over and over that the hospitalization/death rates are inflated as well which this article supports:

"The chart does not tell the full story of New York's coronavirus outbreak, however. That's because very few New Yorkers with mild cases of COVID-19 are getting tested. The city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene website urges New Yorkers who think they have mild COVID-19 cases to stay home and not seek care. "If you think you have COVID-19 and your illness is mild, you do not need to see your health care provider and you will not be tested," the site says. "Getting tested will not change what your provider will tell you to do to get better. They will tell you to stay home so you do not get others sick."

Yes. Almost all scientists are saying June at the earliest for opening back up.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,181,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post

The fewer people that require hospitalization, the fewer people that take up beds that can be used to save the older population or at-risk population (huge number) that requires hospitalization. Aside from Italy having a slightly older population, they also had an overwhelmed healthcare system that led to far more deaths than necessary because they couldn't treat people. So if we just let "lower risk", again, still as arbitrary today as a week ago, because millions of Americans have an underlying condition, go about their business, they'll take up beds that can be used to save others with more life threatening conditions. They didn't convert the United Center to a logistics hub for no reason, or same for the Javits Center in NYC. They're not considering putting beds in McCormick Place for no reason. And this is with pretty extreme social distancing measures!

So sure, for some a doctor will say just stay home so you don't get others sick. At the same time, some of these people will walk around asymptomatic getting people sick. It is irrelevant how many have a mild case, or whether the total rate would come out lower if we counted all mild cases, because it is still a fairly contagious virus that is getting a lot of people pretty sick, quantitatively, so rates are irrelevant.

These underlying conditions aren't rare diseases. "As of Saturday, at least 82% of the New Yorkers who have died from COVID-19 had confirmed underlying conditions, including diabetes, lung disease, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, and asthma."

34 million Americans have diabetes (https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/type2.html). Some people live for years with high blood pressure. 19.2 million Americans have asthma (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/asthma.htm). It's not like all the people dying are on their deathbeds already.

There's currently no vaccine and no fully vetted treatment.

Sorry, your plan will not be implemented until it is safe to do so (sounds like maybe May or June in Chicago). Doesn't matter how many times you state it.

I things could open up earlier. I'm sure we all do, but that doesn't mean we can just throw caution to the wind and go against the advice of experts.

Getting tested will obviously not make you better, but it clearly proved in South Korea as a way to figure out who needs to be isolated even without showing severe symptoms. They, along with Singapore and Japan had significant tracing and significant hygiene discipline in public. We have none of that currently - although hygiene has improved slightly based only on my grocery store obervations, but I'm still not confident it would continue as things opened up. Until we have thorough tracing or testing, no other solution will be implemented. Okay, I just continued reading the article - took the words right out of my mouth - it sounds like the article you linked to even advocates for this (emphasis mine): "The best ways to slow the virus' spread are to test widely, isolate people who are ill, trace those with whom sick people had contact to find others who might have been exposed, quarantine anyone who may have been exposed to the virus, close schools and nonessential business, and encourage people to practice social distancing."

It sounds like Abbott is pretty close to having a fast test that they can mass produce soon. Maybe that will help change things and isolate people earlier in the process to prevent getting others sick.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:17 PM

187 posts, read 185,353 times
"As Illinois surpasses 10,000 coronavirus cases, Pritzker and Chicago health commissioner urge residents to wear face masks outside their homes"

Old 04-05-2020, 12:18 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I took a ride down to the border yesterday and snapped a couple shots of the "Welcome to Illinois" sign, and posted them on Facebook to let my down south friends know I wish them well, and to save me a seat for when I can vome back.... it is scary/concerning how things keep getting delayed. It makes it harder to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak... even here, originally I was supposed to go back to teaching Tae Kwon Do with Milwaukee Rec Department on April 13th. NOW, classes are all postponed until "further notice." ... I understand this impacts our sense of security, community, and happiness. Stay strong, everyone. You are all loved!
Jay, what's going on in Milwaukee - better or worse than Chicago? Obviously, with less people, you're going to have less cases, but on a per-capita basis? The nightly news doesn't mention WI much, that's probably a good sign for you guys.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:18 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Curly, good morning and thank you for reaching out. I can tell you something scary that hits close to home for me: I just heard from a former coworker in the Milwaukee County Jail that a nurse has tested positive! And I believe she told me that now staff shall be administered face masks.... I transferred to the Waukesha County Jail several months ago. No reported cases. A jail, like a hospital seems to be a huge potential..... In terms of numbers, Milwaukee County (where I still live) has the biggest amount of cases. In Milwaukee a large number affected residents near our Sherman Park area, which these days is predominantly African-American...Yesterday I saw a police officer walk up to a car he pulled over. Both the officer AND the pulled over driver were wearing masks!... Thanks again for checking in. Continue to be happy and healthy!

Old 04-05-2020, 08:42 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideMillennial View Post
"As Illinois surpasses 10,000 coronavirus cases, Pritzker and Chicago health commissioner urge residents to wear face masks outside their homes"
Yes. The next 2 weeks are thought to be critical if we want to see results of flattening the curve. Make it or break it.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:17 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Curly, good morning and thank you for reaching out. I can tell you something scary that hits close to home for me: I just heard from a former coworker in the Milwaukee County Jail that a nurse has tested positive! And I believe she told me that now staff shall be administered face masks.... I transferred to the Waukesha County Jail several months ago. No reported cases. A jail, like a hospital seems to be a huge potential..... In terms of numbers, Milwaukee County (where I still live) has the biggest amount of cases. In Milwaukee a large number affected residents near our Sherman Park area, which these days is predominantly African-American...Yesterday I saw a police officer walk up to a car he pulled over. Both the officer AND the pulled over driver were wearing masks!... Thanks again for checking in. Continue to be happy and healthy!
From what I've read, some prisons in IL are getting hit pretty hard, with both prisoners and staff infected. They are supposedly releasing "non violent" prisoners from the jail, not sure if they are doing the same in the prisons, to reduce both crowding and care needs, but the problem is, many prisoners do not have a home to return to, and releasing them as "homeless" would likely strain the system worse than keeping them in incarceration. Not sure why prisoners are not "locked down" in their cells, with no outside visitation, meals delivered to them for the time being, etc., but you could probably list many reasons why this would be worse than allowing them to intermix for meals, exercise, etc., I'm sure no expert.

Bottom line, I'm happy your facility is so far unaffected. Do your best to stay safe.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:13 AM

1,500 posts, read 886,209 times
Quote:
Hi Mr Jay

My two cents...if you are working anywhere with lots of people...I would wear a mask, even if a cloth mask!

Good luck to you

Maybe my two cents are now only worth a penny?

Old 04-06-2020, 03:46 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Lola The yorkie, good morning and thank you for sharing... your words are spoken from the heart, and show care for a fellow human being... Your words are priceless, therefore. Way more valuable than a mere 2 cents!! We need more compassion these days...Thank you, again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago