U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 18,645 times

Advertisements

Hey gang:

Just signed the lease on a place that is directly on Palmer Blvd a block east of Kedzie. I know there's a few mentions of this neighborhood in a few Logan Square threads, but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on Palmer Square in particular or on the journey from here to the California Blue Line stop?

How reasonable is it to expect my car to be okay on the street along Palmer? (2006 Pontiac Vibe)

I really enjoyed the area but then again I only visited it during the day. Walking to the California stop seemed hit and miss however, with both new condo construction as well as boarded up buildings.

Seems like I may be getting in over my head after reading up about it, especially since my previous experience has been a few months in west Lincoln Park around Armitage & Racine, which could not be more sanitized and suburban. (just moved to Chicago not long ago)

Oh well. The lease is already signed so I guess I'm in for at least a year regardless of what happens.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 04:49 PM

2,297 posts, read 5,731,267 times
Too bad you don't have the 2005, no problems there. The '06, probably won't be there in the morning.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 PM

13 posts, read 62,042 times
it's fine.. i live in humboldt park; not far from Palmer Square. yes, there are some sketch happenings, once in a blue moon, but that's like any place in the city, including the gold coast or lincoln park. the only place i've ever been robbed is in the Gold Coast/ River North area. It's usually perceptions of a neighborhoods that people are scared of. Nonetheless, crime usually happens within social circles, so you should be fin.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 PM

15,587 posts, read 25,018,446 times
West Town,Logan Square, and Humboldt Park have very high rates of car theft.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,217,258 times
The Logan Square area is one of the car thieves' favorite areas. I don't know why. Nonetheless the statistical odds of waking up to find your car missing, while higher than normal, are still pretty small. Petty vandalism and car break-ins, on the other hand, are a part of city life that you should be resigned to expect once in a while.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 18,645 times
Thanks for the responses all! Coming from a relatively small town of 2000 people, Chicago is still taking some getting used to.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:29 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,655,244 times
I live a couple blocks east of Palmer Sq., and while I have seen a lot of car break ins on nights there are concerts at the Congress theater, I haven't had any problems myself (2003 Volvo XC) and haven't had any visitors or neighbors have problems. I would agree that the odds of waking up to find your car missing are pretty small.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 PM

11,973 posts, read 29,400,972 times
My advice is to buy a used car with a few dings and sever any emotional attachment to it. Palmer Square is one of the nicest parts of Logan Square, but the likelihood of someone messing with your newer car over the course of a few years is probably pretty high. When I lived in Wicker Park a few years ago I usually saw at least one car with a broken side window every day or two. And that was definitely a lower crime neighborhood at the time.

In terms of walking to the California Blue Line, just use common sense. If it doesn't seem safe because it's late at night or something, take a cab. You should be fine. Logan Square is a great neighborhood, and it's only getting better.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 PM

7 posts, read 36,500 times
Default chicago police

This is my wife's account. But, we are moving right down the street from you end of May, so I am replying on her account to respond. First, I drive an expensive car (40k+ new, 6 months old) so they'd probably go after mine first! Logan Square is safe, and Palmer is definitely safe, St. Sylvesters school and church help ensure that. I have lived in Chicago for 4 years in Old Town and then the Gold Coast. In the Gold Coast, we had some guy who was assaulting and robbing women in our "24/7" security staffed and monitored garage. He got three women (that we know of) and they never caught him. He used a baseball bat... In Old Town/River North, we were 99% positive we had a prostitution ring getting run out of our building, one of them got evicted and there was an incredibly sad and embatrasing scene we had to witness resulting from that. So, put yourself in the mind of the criminal. The professional criminal will take the train for 1 dollar to neighborhood X to steal something from someone wealthy. What neighborhood is neighborhood X?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,378,308 times
Default 40k car should be okay

There are much nicer cars to go after in that area. I never undestood buying new but appreciate people such as yourself who take the depreciation hit the first couple of years. I always buy used luxury vehicles.

I only pay cash for vehicles and have better things to do with my money than buy a new, highly depreciable asset. I prefer to invest in equities and RE, though I am holding off until next year as prices continue to drop in areas such as Palmer Square and Logan as a whole.

Palmer Square is a decent area and Logan as a whole, especially east of Kimball is getting better.

Lookout Kid, just curious, do you reside in Logan? You seem to be a very strong proponent of the area. I like the area too, much better than Humboldt where I live now and see some great deals coming in the next few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago