Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 01:49 PM

148 posts, read 121,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Hard to read thru this...but I don’t think Chicago is slipping any more than other places and it’s GDP is growing.It’s a great city that’s easy to navigate, easy to get to and affordable. Keep doing what you’re doing. Be happy with that. The problem is it keeps being compared here to a city three times it’s size and comes up short. It has the proper amount of tall buildings and interesting points of interest for a city it’s size and scope, more than a smaller city would have and less than a larger one. It will never have as many structures and buildings, nor have as many transit riders or GDP as NYC, I don’t know why this point has to be argued ad infinitum.
Not anymore.
Chicago like a lot of major cities are entering an era of decline.
However the decline will not be universal. Some cities will decline much harder than others.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:53 PM

148 posts, read 121,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Cities offer a life experience that suburbs and rural comunites can't and never will. The vast majority of people are attracted to those characteristics no matter what modern injustice is perceived or plague arises. Paris has survived centuries of wars, dictators, plagues, taxes, foreign occupation, terroist attacks and even today there's damn near annual riots over scoial issues and it remains a hyper-dense thriving city with urban ammenities on a tier most other global cities will never attain.
And that ‘life experience’ means nothing when the pain of living that lifestyle becomes unbearable.
No human being has infinite pain tolerance. When living in an urban area becomes more painful than the person can tolerate they will leave.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:23 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
And that ‘life experience’ means nothing when the pain of living that lifestyle becomes unbearable.
No human being has infinite pain tolerance. When living in an urban area becomes more painful than the person can tolerate they will leave.
I agree. If one no longer has likes or respect for their city, its attributes and politically it is a polar opposite for them? They surely should move. Remember the White-Flight era? The last one out of the neighborhood, took the biggest financial loss on their home. Maybe in a year or so everyone who post as they have no reason to be here? Will have a new location in their ID and all will be love for their new region and how much cheaper and better government it has.

Why would anyone not say that? It does begin to lead us to division by region in our future. As the conflict expands and even militias take over cities then regions. I saw that B-movie I said a few times already free on YouTube. I wish I remembered the name now.

How states are already being called a waste to be in. So we are in the infancy of that full blown division of our Nation by regions? We should watch what we wish for sometimes and realize. If old you buy time,to to move some more remote region. But if young? I doubt you will escape the climax of possible events?

I am no young and just happy I lived the majority of my life in past decades. Not that there were no issues then. But because this century is already one that is totally not with the expectations of a positive future most of us had pre-2000. They worst was to worry about Y2K cause a computer collapse that did not occur.

I do wish Chicago well. I still love the city I lived a few years in. Great years there. I had great recent trips knowing there is 2 Chicago's. But again. If so many here are unhappy and a means to go? I say start plans and let us know in coming months the better choice you found.

Last edited by NoHyping; 06-01-2020 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 04:59 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Default 92 shot, 27 killed this weekend

https://abc7chicago.com/92-shot-27-f...-2020/6224654/

Chicago is back to normal summer numbers

Old 06-03-2020, 02:13 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
https://abc7chicago.com/92-shot-27-f...-2020/6224654/

Chicago is back to normal summer numbers
That is some sad, sad, stuff. Why no protests, marches, media frenzy, Jesse and Al speeches, Biden outrage, etc.? Why are people in Chicago more outraged by one killing in Minneapolis than they are twenty-seven killings in their own city?

Old 06-03-2020, 06:57 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Curly Q. Bobalink, that is ONE of my questions. This morning on the radio, a 12-year-old boy who participated in a protest was interviewed by a reporter. The boy was asked what it was he was standing up for. The lad responded: To be able to feel safe in my community.

My first thought was: I lost count of how many inter-gang shootings there are in broad daylight in certain communities with NO regard for children that may be struck by bullets, ARE struck by bullets, or are affected when their parent is killed (intended target or not).

Old 06-03-2020, 07:23 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
That is some sad, sad, stuff. Why no protests, marches, media frenzy, Jesse and Al speeches, Biden outrage, etc.? Why are people in Chicago more outraged by one killing in Minneapolis than they are twenty-seven killings in their own city?
Exactly. They are never upset with the killings in their nieghborhoods that happen all day everyday. Why dont their lives matter then? But one killing in another state and all hell breaks loose.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:38 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Robert9, Well we certainly HAVE seen vigils and gatherings for killings in the community, especially when it involves a child. NO CHILD should be afraid to play in their own neighborhood!

It is a shame that the thought of potential children dying in cross fire NEVER crosses the minds of the gangbangers. A REAL shame!

Every time a Black gangbanger is shooting at another Black gangbanger, you can't tell me that they are proponents for BLACK LIVES MATTER... TO say so would be hypocrisy. The words and the actions do not match.

I AM for Black Lives Matter in the sense that I believe ALL lives matter!

Old 06-03-2020, 12:24 PM

551 posts, read 407,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
And when those people leave new people replace them. The people I told you about earlier who will 'always' seek opportunity, higher pay, historical architecture, economic and ethnic diversity, public ammenities, walkable neighborhoods, world class educations, restaurants, shopping, night-life and on and on.

Only certain types of people are satisfied with living in suburbs. Even then they will journey to the cities often to fill the void. I don't know what doomsday scenario you are foreseeing where Brooklyn is some desolate relic of yesteryear or Chicgao stands still in time from social rebellion.

Chicago has withstood a ravaging fire, the Great Depression, deindustrialization, white-flight, urban-renewal, twice the amount of annual homicides, population loss, race-riots, segregation, street-gangs, the most violent housing projects in the nation, drug wars, mafia, income-inequality, widespread political corruption, criminal govenors and aldermen, gentrification etc. etc.

I think you are overreacting here, people looting, demonstrating and some tech workers deciding to move away and work remotely isn't going to destroy the spirit or desireability of the city.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:53 PM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
And when those people leave new people replace them. The people I told you about earlier who will 'always' seek opportunity, higher pay, historical architecture, economic and ethnic diversity, public ammenities, walkable neighborhoods, world class educations, restaurants, shopping, night-life and on and on.

Only certain types of people are satisfied with living in suburbs. Even then they will journey to the cities often to fill the void. I don't know what doomsday scenario you are foreseeing where Brooklyn is some desolate relic of yesteryear or Chicgao stands still in time from social rebellion.

Chicago has withstood a ravaging fire, the Great Depression, deindustrialization, white-flight, urban-renewal, twice the amount of annual homicides, population loss, race-riots, segregation, street-gangs, the most violent housing projects in the nation, drug wars, mafia, income-inequality, widespread political corruption, criminal govenors and aldermen, gentrification etc. etc.

I think you are overreacting here, people looting, demonstrating and some tech workers deciding to move away and work remotely isn't going to destroy the spirit or desireability of the city.
You sound a little contradictory here. Was it not an influx of tech/finance bros keeping the city's population relatively stable the past several years? Now you're saying it doesn't matter if they leave?

Also the city's population is down a good million from its peak...nobody came to replace them.

Last edited by VA All Day; 06-03-2020 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago