Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 01:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,995 times

Advertisements

Chicago is booming in all the right areas:
- We had back to back years of 60 cranes building high rises (second in country behind Seattle)
- 9/11 and insurance is the reason builders don't want to go over 1000 ft or the Sears Tower.
- Our el and bus system is pretty good (NY and DC are the best IMO)
- Chicago riverfront has exploded along with South Loop, West Loop and Fulton Market
- Crime is down (although Chicago needs a marketing program to dispell this crime myth)
- All retail is going away...not just Macy's. Covid will accelerate their bankruptcy.

Houston sucks and is not a city. It's a giant connected suburb.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:45 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
- We had back to back years of 60 cranes building high rises (second in country behind Seattle)
- 9/11 and insurance is the reason builders don't want to go over 1000 ft or the Sears Tower.
- Chicago riverfront has exploded along with South Loop, West Loop and Fulton Market
- Crime is down (although Chicago needs a marketing program to dispell this crime myth)
- All retail is going away...not just Macy's. Covid will accelerate their bankruptcy.

This is a good summary.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:12 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post

Chicago needs to prevent from being in the headlines every summer weekend with staggering violent crimes numbers. Until that happens, no matter what the stats say about crime being down, the city will receive the wrong type of media attention week-in, week-out which will perpetuate the negative stereotype.

I agree with all of your other points.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Robert9, my hope, Sir, is that you still find many other things to keep Chicago on the top of your chart...

Old 04-03-2020, 03:31 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Robert9, my hope, Sir, is that you still find many other things to keep Chicago on the top of your chart...
I love the city. I am just disappointed in certain things like I mentioned that have developed in recent years. This trend concerns me

Old 04-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Robert9, I understand. It seems you appreciated the notion of having a big city with big things (architecture, air travel, visitors, population, etc.) Could you share what are somethings Chicago DOES have that you DO recognize in it, as making it a top city?

Old 04-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Robert9, I understand. It seems you appreciated the notion of having a big city with big things (architecture, air travel, visitors, population, etc.) Could you share what are somethings Chicago DOES have that you DO recognize in it, as making it a top city?
Beautiful architecture, the River walk, museums, parks, the neighborhoods, things like that. Its just a shame though that the old attitude of thinking big and getting things done have gone the other way. When I think of all the big and beautiful projects proposed over the last 20-30 years that were never done its really sad.

Or how things we once had pride in are now gone.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:45 PM

Robert9, thank you for sharing. And it's great to see you value so many wonderful aspects of the city that we do, both residents AND visitors! That said, there's still pride that exists. I'm proud, for example, of the teachers that committed to CPS, despite some difficulties. I'm proud, also, of the hospitality I'm shown by Chicagoans who know I'm a visitor, and yet treat me like I belong.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Robert9, thank you for sharing. And it's great to see you value so many wonderful aspects of the city that we do, both residents AND visitors! That said, there's still pride that exists. I'm proud, for example, of the teachers that committed to CPS, despite some difficulties. I'm proud, also, of the hospitality I'm shown by Chicagoans who know I'm a visitor, and yet treat me like I belong.
It is a friendly city no doubt about that. And yes I know you come here often from Milwaukee and I think that is great!

Old 04-03-2020, 03:53 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Chicago needs to prevent from being in the headlines every summer weekend with staggering violent crimes numbers. Until that happens, no matter what the stats say about crime being down, the city will receive the wrong type of media attention week-in, week-out which will perpetuate the negative stereotype.

I agree with all of your other points.
It'll be kind of interesting to see how the lockdown influences that legendary crime rate.
Long term, I don't look for any change.

I've lived in Chicago and had close relatives there, but they all feel like they got taxed out of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago