Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 12:32 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

Robert9, I think you are right. But God help me, I sure needed to get away from this negative vibe. Thats why I wrote about the beauty of your city, and hope people recognize it, despite what else might be out there!

Currently chilling at Garcia's in Lincoln Square. Loving your city.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:46 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,178,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Robert9, I think you are right. But God help me, I sure needed to get away from this negative vibe. Thats why I wrote about the beauty of your city, and hope people recognize it, despite what else might be out there!

Currently chilling at Garcia's in Lincoln Square. Loving your city.
That is good to hear! I miss being out in the city, but this is the time of year I hibernate. Too damn much rain, heat and brutal humidity during all of these months. But I sure make up for it from November through March!

Old 06-28-2020, 12:54 PM

I am from a generation where we can laugh at things a bit easier... a woman was seated at Garcia's out on the patio. She thought I worked there. As I walked by, she asked me if I would take the check that was left on the table from the clients before her.

I told her I didnt work there... but asked if I should try to go get her chips and salsa!

Sometimes you gotta laugh, even at yourself!

Old 06-28-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I am from a generation where we can laugh at things a bit easier... a woman was seated at Garcia's out on the patio. She thought I worked there. As I walked by, she asked me if I would take the check that was left on the table from the clients before her.

I told her I didnt work there... but asked if I should try to go get her chips and salsa!

Sometimes you gotta laugh, even at yourself!
You have a great attitude!

Old 06-28-2020, 01:34 PM

Robert9, thank you

Plus, I looked and that bill had been paid by credit card.

Cuz HAD I found cash in there, I woulda grabbed that money and ra....

Just kidding!!! But me and the lady did laugh at it!!

Old 06-28-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Robert9, thank you

Plus, I looked and that bill had been paid by credit card.

Cuz HAD I found cash in there, I woulda grabbed that money and ra....

Just kidding!!! But me and the lady did laugh at it!!
lol so glad you had such a funny moment like that. Glad the Square is doing good as well

Old 06-29-2020, 08:49 PM

307 posts, read 242,245 times
I have a lot of family in Chicago and they along with a few others I know from there told me that alot of the murders began when the city tore down the Robert Taylor homes and all the gangs that used to live there had to move into other parts of the southside and such.. as in the gangs were separated but now are all mixed in the same area like right around the corner from each other. No excuse for such bloodshed but that's what I've been told my numerous Chicago natives.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:03 PM

Pro1000, good evening. Your statement, I believe, did indeed play a role in how it spread.

Very unfortunate.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:04 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
I often wonder if Chicago's crime statistics would be so bad if you eliminated say...Garfield Park (E and W), Fuller Park, Washington Park, Englewood, Auburn and Roseland. I mean, there's still a ton of great city even if you never set foot in those areas.

Maybe instead of imprisoning everyone that commits crimes they should have electrocuting bracelets. You are hereby sentenced to live in Fuller Park. You cannot leave the confines of Fuller Park. There's nobody living there anymore anyway and no worries if Joliet fills up. Make it a nice place and it's the easiest time you ever did. Probably enough burnt out lots one could start farming there again.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:55 AM

artillery77, I wonder what those areas that you mentioned may have been like, say 50 years ago. When I read those "History of..." books, those neighborhoods looked like they were awesome places to be. It is very sad that things changed the way they did.

And as you and I mentioned, there are DEFINITELY great areas of the city! I rode my bike up and down parts of Forest Glen on Sunday. Some guy asked me to help him load his lawnmower into his truck, he asked me about the status of Milwaukee festivals, and it was just great friendly interaction. And unfortunately not everyone gets that type of impression of Chicago, when they think about it.... And closeby was a house that was featured in the movie, "Stir of Echoes", if anyone has ever seen that movie. I wanted to ride by and take a look.

One of my theories has always been: Make community service a part of an offender's sentence. There is NO reason why a neighborhood should have overgrown weeds, broken glass on the sidewalk, trash in the streets!!! Forest Glen would not allow it, for example. So make these other areas follow suit. It's a great way to have some pride in how your area looks and teaches some responsibility. Plus, if an offender has to clean it up they would certainly tell their neighbors, "Don't keep trashing the place because I AM the one that is being forced to clean it!".. I figure, the youth and the residents would listen to them over a police officer (which ALSO is sad, because people should be respecting their own areas ANYWAYS, as well as authority figures). But hey, at least it's a start!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago