Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:11 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Live on the North Side and take a cab to Midway when you need to fly!
Personally, I would not recommend this. Way to expensive and its too far. I know people who fly need to be on time. At least if you rely on the el you can get a good idea of when the train is going to come and it will be pretty reliable. I think the closer to the orange line the better, or at least the closer to the expressway the better.

I would definitley look at South Loop and Printers Row. I would also consider Ukranian Village and Bucktown and that area there, or anything you can find downtown that you can afford. Maybe even look around UIC.....but that would not be for me I dont think, it would be an option to consider though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 04:13 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Have you ever been to Houston ?
no Nanannie, that is why I asked. I'm trying to learn a little about the poster, and also a little bit about the differences between Chicago and Houston. I am flying to Houston next week though, so I'll sure let y'all know what I think.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:37 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Good Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
A LOT!

No driving
More culture...WAY
More nightlife.
More singles life
Better weather. don't laugh.. this is not a joke. have you suffered through 30 years of 100 degree weather March-October?
Architecture
Less crime
No driving
No Car
No buying fuel for said car
No auto insurance, maintenance, you get the idea
BASEBALL!

More ci

Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 PM

55 posts, read 274,676 times
I was in your shoes this time last year. Born and raised in Houston, I moved to Chicago from Houston last August and absolutely love it!

This winter was supposedly the lowest temperature and most snow Chicago has seen in nearly 30 years, but honestly, I was bracing myself for even worse! It takes getting used to, but I agree with you that if you can survive Houston summers, you can definitely survive Chicago winters. And don't believe Chicagoans when they tell you summers here are humid -- I was here in the summer of 2006, and they don't know what real humidity feels like.

I just graduated from UT Austin in May (23 years old) and live in Wicker Park/Bucktown. I love the neighborhood -- it has great nightlife, restaurants, public transportation, etc. I pay $950 + utilities for a good sized 1 bedroom/ 1 bath unit with hardwood floors, central heat and A/C, dishwasher, in-unit washer dryer, and a patio. So in the $1500 range, you can find a really nice place. I like to think of Chicago rent prices being in between Houston and NYC prices.

The one thing I really miss about Houston, though, is the barbeque, Tex-Mex, and of course the Houston Rockets!

Welcome to Chicago!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 PM

157 posts, read 363,194 times
Ahh, yes. Well, I plan on stocking up n the BBQ sauce and finding a grill somewhere. I will miss a good 3am Taco Cabana run, though I am sure there are some good late night grub places up there, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeChicagoan View Post

The one thing I really miss about Houston, though, is the barbeque, Tex-Mex, and of course the Houston Rockets!

Welcome to Chicago!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 PM

166 posts, read 482,690 times
I know you are concerned about the commute to MDW - but Lincoln Square is a perfect fit for what you are looking for.....the only place closer to MDW that I was looking at was the South Loop and your $$$ does not go as far.

I just signed a lease in Lincoln Square (being 30-something with mostly the same criteria) on a 2 bed, 2 bath Coach House with a yard for $1400.

I wish you much luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
The South Loop is the place for you, especially if working at MDW. I had a 1/1 condo in the area and it was great. Walk to museums bars restaurants Grant Park etc. Take the Orange line to work as well.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I should add that I was transferred to Houston from my South Loop Condo in 2003. The downside of Chicago as an owner was I got 1100 sqft in the S Loop, while I got 1750 sqft in the Midtown/River Oaks area for my townhome (and garage) at a similar price. The Printers row area and S. Loop is a little quieter nightlife. More like a bunch of nice pubs and restaurants.with several open to 5 if you need that. Besides its safe and once your a resident you dont party much on Rush street with the tourists and suburbanites.

Its pretty centrally located and you can get to most (desirable) places for $7 cab ride. I lived in Bucktown and it was too much fun, but it was 20 minutes of commute time just to get to the Stevenson (55) from North Avenue on most days.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcallmeshirley View Post
K, so I am taking a work transfer to Chicago for August. Not worried about crime, as Houston is far more dangerous. ...
Doesn't seem like THAT huge of a difference to me... but good luck anyway. I think you'll like it.
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Last edited by Yac; 05-09-2008 at 01:08 AM..

Old 05-01-2008, 04:26 PM

157 posts, read 363,194 times
WOW WOW WOW! Did you see the difference in the rape stats??? Is that a misprint??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Doesn't seem like THAT huge of a difference to me... but good luck anyway. I think you'll like it.

Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Last edited by Yac; 05-09-2008 at 01:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago