Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM

157 posts, read 363,284 times

Advertisements

Thanks Drover. I get what you are saying about the different atmospheres. I like both, so I am very flexible in that aspect. I do tend to side more on the local pub where everybody knows you name atmoshere a little more, so I think I might be better off in a residentioal area where I can still walk or take a short cab hop to local places to meet friends, got to the store, etc.

The thing that really bothers me about the L Square listing is that it has been in there for so long. I once enquired on a listing similar to this, but it was already spoken for. And that was within 24 hours of the original listing.

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Both areas are fine... the main difference between the two is that the first one is in a residential area with a neighborhood-oriented dining/entertainment/nightlife area nearby, whereas the second one is much closer to downtown, amid high-rises, in a more tourist-y area, lots more hustle & bustle, etc. The atmosphere between the two is very different and which one would be better for you depends on lot on which type of environment you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
Personally, just from what I gather from your posts....I think Lincoln Square is not the place for you. I have lived there myself. Its okay. The thing is, its not the greatest for nightlife AND its far from Midway.

I would look more towards Bucktown if I were you. Lincoln Square is not that trendy, at least not in a "nightlife" kind of way.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:32 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,993 times
I, myself have noticed that there are certainly some scams on Craigslist.

I have found two great apartments on CL, but also rented a place a while back that, although was not a true 'scam', was more of a pseudo-scam/

Back in 2005, I found a newly-renovated condo to rent, a studio, for $900 in East Lakeview, with granite counters, etc. Great building! But when I signed the lease, the owner (or, who I thought was the owner), asked me if I would be interested in a 9-month lease. I thought it was a little odd at first, but not listening to my intuition, I agreed to it.

So, nine months later, the landlord called me, and asked me if i would willing to move out, I told him that I was just starting a new job, and this isnt the right time to be moving for me, plus I have to right to renew, and I asked him why he wants me to move out, he said his plans up front were to flip the condo after 9 months for a profit, and that actually his girlfriend owns the unit, not him, and that the lease he signed with me was never really valid anyway (HUH???).

I could have taken this guy to court, but between starting a new job and trying to find a new place to live, I didnt have time to deal with that, I did get 9 months of usage (which I paid for), so at least I had a roof over my head during that time. But still, very shady. And after I moved out, I had to go back to get the security deposit from them, because their check bounced. I called them and they asked me to come to the unit to get the money. When I got there, I discovered that the girlfriend had since moved in to the unit (???) Very weird scenario.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
^Why would you have a right to renew?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Why would you have a right to renew?
In the City of Chicago, the tenant ALWAYS has the right to renew. It is the law.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
In the City of Chicago, the tenant ALWAYS has the right to renew. It is the law.
Yes, they are required to offer renewal. But, they can offer the renewal at such an increased rate that it dissuades one from re-renting. crappy way to do business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: